Welford Road Development?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ourla
Super User
Super User

Re: Welford Road Development?

Post by ourla »

Saints prepping for next summers project..
http://www.premiershiprugby.com/news/32157.php

On the issue of sell outs. I would imagine part of the problem is the international breaks. How many Premiership games are there in that period and does the evidence back me up... are crowds lower. We should sell out ERC matches and matches against the likes of Saints, Sarries.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Getting to be the opposite of the common misquotation from W P Kinsella's book "Shoeless Joe" (made into the film "Field of Dreams").

Instead of "Build it and they will come" is for Tigers "Come and we will build it"!

(The misquotation is that the actual quote is "build it and HE will come.")
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

ourla wrote:Saints prepping for next summers project..

On the issue of sell outs. I would imagine part of the problem is the international breaks. How many Premiership games are there in that period and does the evidence back me up... are crowds lower. We should sell out ERC matches and matches against the likes of Saints, Sarries.
Lots of things affect the sell-outs/gate size but apart from the obvious - clashes with internationals, quality of the opposition etc - the one glaring area of low turn outs is early season when the weather is still good and people have better things to do.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

We should be thankful that we aren't in this position - there are other clubs vulnerable to it, and in a sense Saffacens are halfway there.
http://tinyurl.com/la6jmr9
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
InGuinnessVeritas
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by InGuinnessVeritas »

DickyP wrote:... the one glaring area of low turn outs is early season when the weather is still good and people have better things to do.
Better things to do? :smt017
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

InGuinnessVeritas wrote:
DickyP wrote:... the one glaring area of low turn outs is early season when the weather is still good and people have better things to do.
I agree but 1) some people are, for some unexplainable reason, less dedicated than others. 2) not all supporters have equally dedicated spouses/partners etc.

I should, of course, have put "better" in inverted commas in my original post!
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

ourla wrote:Saints prepping for next summers project..

This is actually "FRACKING AT FRANKLIN GARDENS"
It is a real attempt to disperse the foul gas and undercurrent at their ground. The same rig will also be tried on Dorian West as the volume of the gas field there will be immense. :smt026
Suz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Suz »

DickyP wrote:
InGuinnessVeritas wrote:
I agree but 1) some people are, for some unexplainable reason, less dedicated than others. 2) not all supporters have equally dedicated spouses/partners etc.

I should, of course, have put "better" in inverted commas in my original post!
Of course some of us are very dedicated, but also love other sports too. I love eventing and will be a Burghley horse trials so missing the first game of this season. I always have crossed fingers hoping for an away game the first game, but alas not the case again this year. Burghley will come first for me as this happens once a year (and the shoppings better :smt003 ) and I have many more oppitunities to support tigers throughout the year. :smt038
"The beast got us, the Leicester beast."
GT1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GT1 »

Interesting letter in the Mercury tonight - http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Rugby ... story.html
It really is time to rebuild this stand imho :smt024
Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremy Anderson »

The only people who should have a vote on redeveloping the Crumbie are those that sit and stand there.

If your preference is for a plastic seat and a blaring PA then there are plenty of places around the ground.

As Crumbie resident my preference is to leave the Crumbie including PA exactly as it is.
Jez

Only Winners Win!
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Jeremy Anderson wrote:The only people who should have a vote on redeveloping the Crumbie are those that sit and stand there.
What is the legal or moral case for this?
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
InGuinnessVeritas
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by InGuinnessVeritas »

Jeremy Anderson wrote:The only people who should have a vote on redeveloping the Crumbie are those that sit and stand there.

If your preference is for a plastic seat and a blaring PA then there are plenty of places around the ground.

As Crumbie resident my preference is to leave the Crumbie including PA exactly as it is.
To quote Mr McEnroe, you cannot be serious.

I have nearly twice as much leg room in the GNC than I used to have in the Crumbie. I can lean back in my seat without having someone else's knees digging into my kidneys. I don't have to walk to either end of the stand to find a toilet with an entrance not wide enough for two people to pass without getting intimate and I won't even start on the state of the women's toilets in the Crumbie. I admit the PA in the GNC can be overbearing at times but at least you can hear all of what's being said. In the Crumbie, I sometimes wondered if Norman Collier was on the microphone.
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

leave the Crumbie as it is - as previously said, if you don't like it go elsewhere in the ground!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

As a Crumbie dweller I concur!

:smt023
Still keeping the faith!
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Bill W (2) wrote:

As a Crumbie dweller I concur!

:smt023
Bill, you should know better than most that it is not a member’s club. The ‘voters’ are the owners and their appointed representatives, financiers and the H&S hangers on. The residents may be consulted and their views considered but for them to expect a vote is ridiculous. They’ll expect to vote to pick the starting line up next.

The Crumbie is great to look at from the point of tradition but pretty dreadful to actually sit in for a capacity fixture. I’m sitting on the fence (or at least it can feel that way).
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game