New No. 8?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Steve56
Tiger Cub

New No. 8?

Post by Steve56 »

I may have missed this, but have we signed a new No. 8 yet?
LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: New No. 8?

Post by LE18 »

Yes 2, Pearce and Barbeiri, see page 1 updated Transfer rumours etc, both listed under backrow. :smt023
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

Barbieri was signed from Treviso and he has multiple caps for Italy. We have also signed Pearce who is an exciting raw prospect from Rotherham. As a club they've produced Sam Dickinson of Saints and Robin Copeland of Munster, both are on the verge of winning international caps. Yet a lot of Rotherham fans seem to think this Pearce is a better prospect. He's 6ft 4in and is around 20 stone so he's the monster type 8 we've been missing for a while. Add these two to Crane and we are nicely stocked at 8 for next year.
Steve56
Tiger Cub

Post by Steve56 »

Thanks for the info.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I still think Jordan Crane is our best No.8 I presume the others are merely injury cover or late substitutions.
Crivvens
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crivvens »

Horses for courses
Blimey...
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

I still think Jordan Crane is our best No.8 I presume the others are merely injury cover or late substitutions.
It's all about opinions.
Horses for courses
Absolutely.
Crane has his own style and brings a certain level of control to proceedings which is important especially if the balance is tipped elsewhere in the pack, the other 8's will bring a different style when required.
Similarly with players different styles such as Cole and Mulipola, both excellent players but different, one brings great control to the team and the other impact in attack.
An entire pack of forwards running around like backs all sounds well and good but not much point if you can't win and keep possession.
Cheery chappy
Crivvens
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crivvens »

Also, I presume you've seen a lot of Loamanu, Barbieri and Pearce to be able to make that statement Noddy?
Blimey...
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

With Croft and Mafi back in action this season we have crazy depth at 6. Maybe Gibson might fancy playing more at 8 as it is certainly a position he is familiar with?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Barbieri has scored 25 tries in 113 games for Treviso. He's 30 and has played a lot of international rugby. He's physical and abrasive. He won't be coming here to play second fiddle to Crane. Crane will have to step up as Barbieri will offer control at the base and he will offer that ability in the tight exchanges that allowed Crane to see off Waldrom.

Should be quite a fight for the 8 shirt.
GT1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GT1 »

I sure Laurence Pearce isn't here for a holiday either!
Real competition all across the team just what Cockers wanted, lets hope for less injuries this season fingers crossed :smt023
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I doubt either has signed to be the support act to Crane.
All 3 will be wanting to play.
I presume Pearce will be ambitious to further his career and I don't suppose an established international in Barbieri has signed just to top up his pension.
And the improvement in Crane's form towards the end of the season suggests he won't be keen on giving up his place. He will need to work on his speed and ability to break the gain line.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I'd have thought Pearce will do into the second team and LV squad and will be developed with a view to him stepping up into the team in the next couple of seasons. Which would follow on from the thirty year old Barbieri signing a two year deal. A bit of succession planning.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Although Pearce will probably mainly play in LV games I still think he will get a few first team games this season, Cockers mentioned more rotation in a recent LM article and with Barbieri likely to be away with Italy in the Autumn and 6N he does stand a good chance of being on the bench at least
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I have seen Loammu & Barbieri and they are not in Crane's class I must admit though I've never seen Pearce play.