the Cult of Saracens

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

G.K
Super User
Super User

Re: the Cult of Saracens

Post by G.K »

I think Billy Vunipola demonstrated the Saracens cult very well.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

G.K wrote:I think Billy Vunipola demonstrated the Saracens cult very well.
He was being humble or was it humbled?
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
thebearisstilldeano
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by thebearisstilldeano »

I understand the "Good Doktor" is indeed still linked with Sarries.

(BTW I think there is a typo in the thread subject line)
I used to sit near a stalker and we want him back "kick for the corner!!!!"
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

harry broggers wrote:Surely, the whole point of taking part in a contest is to Win! The "winning isn't everything" and "everyone must have a go" attitudes are reminiscent of the woolly minded liberal educationalists who seek to diminish school sports days. The Saracens Ethos has some qualities to recommend it, such as Team Building, Post Playing Development etc. but really, who is going to buy the "winning isn't important" pitch? :smt013
I love a witless trope, you obviously are clueless about education. Cockers is one of the most passionate winners in sport, but he would tell you that winning is important in the limited context of a game, but it is not that important in the wider perspective - as he has demonstrated often. Rugby is so much more than that.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

There's a lot of value in having different cultures at different clubs across the league. It adds a bit of character to the whole competition, Leicester being the old, traditional hard working club, Quins being the old-money playboys, Gloucester being fermers blown out of their mind on scrumpy and Saffas being a bunch of ?
harry broggers
Tiger Cub

Post by harry broggers »

I love a witless trope, you obviously are clueless about education. Cockers is one of the most passionate winners in sport, but he would tell you that winning is important in the limited context of a game, but it is not that important in the wider perspective - as he has demonstrated often. Rugby is so much more than that.
Clearly JG has benefited more from education than I. However, before his Pompous Gland swells dangerously, we should consider that in Professional Sport Winning attracts the required kind of attention from sponsors/TV and top players and, perhaps important to all the above, puts 'Bums on Seats' if I may be so crude. "How you played the game" may go down well with the purists, but the Bean Counters aren't generally so impressed if that is your business plan.
Harry Broggers
I'm typing & thinking at the same time......does it show?
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Some of you will appreciate this..

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/main/s99/st186090.htm
jonnyatom5

Post by jonnyatom5 »

Teams come and go, Tigers are forever.
Bath, Wasps and of late Saracens have all pushed their way to the fore. Who has consistently been there? Tigers.
Sarries will implode, it is built on a foundation of shifting sand, not quality, die hard fans. The fact they could only muster a crowd of 25,942 at Twickenham for the Heineken semi with Clermont says it all for me.
Teams come and go, Tigers are forever.
Tigerpete

Post by Tigerpete »

It's quite simple, Tigers average 22,800 fans per home game, Sarries get less than half that at maximum. At some point the monetary loss to Sarries will kick in and there will be tears....
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

This is the real cult of Saracens. The most informative article, and I would like to see some of these ideas explored at WR.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... mpton.html

(Been away from the forum for a short time, and might have missed this elsewhere. Apologies if so).
Valhalla I am coming!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Is Borthwick the true cult of Saracens? Or is LE18 going to pull me up on my spelling AGAIN? :smt015 :smt030
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Purebob »

fleabane wrote:This is the real cult of Saracens. The most informative article, and I would like to see some of these ideas explored at WR.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... mpton.html

(Been away from the forum for a short time, and might have missed this elsewhere. Apologies if so).
Which ones exactly ?

There's just "togetherness" fluff and a single blitz defense structure that i can see here in about 2000 words.
rocktop51
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rocktop51 »

Big Dai wrote:Is Borthwick the true cult of Saracens? Or is LE18 going to pull me up on my spelling AGAIN? :smt015 :smt030
I misread the topic title as well :smt023
Hambo :- He was with England when he was injured, but he was a Tigers player, our player. He is still our player.”
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

It all seems pretty simple to me.

Make yourself unpopular with everyone else, and groups pull down the shutters and tighten up, most politicians know that one. Add lavish pressies and trips to increase contact within the group and you intensify the bonds within it again. Once you get some success, those bonds increase further as the aforementioned forces increase.

Simple group dynamics really.

The only draw back is that someone has to foot the bill, and how long will that last? What's in it for the SA businessmen behind it all? If it's a way of "processing" cash for accountancy reasons, it doesn't help if the money keeps disappearing!
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

harry broggers wrote:
Clearly JG has benefited more from education than I. However, before his Pompous Gland swells dangerously, we should consider that in Professional Sport Winning attracts the required kind of attention from sponsors/TV and top players and, perhaps important to all the above, puts 'Bums on Seats' if I may be so crude. "How you played the game" may go down well with the purists, but the Bean Counters aren't generally so impressed if that is your business plan.
The 'witless trope' is that schools promote 'all will win' - nothing is further from the truth in almost every primary or secondary school, and between schools. Some activities are done to include all, for obvious reasons such as teaching cooperation, but if you ever have any contact with children from 4 upwards, they are ferocious competitors in the main. Most schools also teach children to lose with good grace, as does rugby (except Saffacens' conspicuous failure with Vunipola - in contrast to Borthwick's sporting demeanour).
BTW It is not my Pompous Gland that is stimulated by crass inaccurate generalisations, but my Vomeronasal :censored: Detector; even the pseudobiology was inaccurate :smt012
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.