Citing for Owen Williams

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Bristol Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Citing?

Post by Bristol Tiger »

jgriffin wrote:I am glad that most Stains/Tigers fans get on well; apparently so do some of the players, but I see the hand of management in this and several other claims made. The Stains/Tigers rivalry seems to exist solely in the heads of Mallinder/West and one or two others at a high level. Cockers behaviour towards fans and players of both sides seems with rancour and he has lost a lot of his angry fat boy demeanour. Why don't Mallinder and West acquire some dignity, as Cockers has done? :smt017
Sorry can't help myself - perhaps Mallinder/West will gain some dignity once their club has won some silverware, and over a period of time. Guess it won't be happening anytime soon :smt003
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Up before the beak

Post by tigerburnie »

I hear that Owen is in for his disciplinary after the citing during the semi playoff, anyone heard anything?
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Up before the beak

Post by jgriffin »

Apparently adjourned, no date given. Weird.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I've heard that the alleged gouging is in doubt & that they don't have any TV evidence to back up the saints player's allegation.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Noddy555 wrote:I've heard that the alleged gouging is in doubt & that they don't have any TV evidence to back up the saints player's allegation.
How do you know Burrell made the allegation?
Soggypitch
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: Citing for Owen Williams

Post by voice of the crumbie »

it's an absolute disgrace that this has not yet been resolved. The end of the article below says there is no date for resumption of this hearing.

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Leice ... story.html

It is most unfair to leave a player with this issue hanging over his head and I am tempted to think that if they could not find compelling evidence at the time of the incident and initial hearing what more are they going to find after a delay? Time for the panel to put or shut up IMHO.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Already being discussed on another thread.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Purebob »

Tigers Owen Williams gets 6 weeks ban after pleading guilty 2 illegal eye contact with Saints Luther Burrell in 64th min of recent game
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Purebob wrote:Tigers Owen Williams gets 6 weeks ban after pleading guilty 2 illegal eye contact with Saints Luther Burrell in 64th min of recent game
So Owen is out of the Welsh trial ( even though English clubs say NO )
He is out of the Welsh tour - unlike Tigers when Briggs gave a written statement Burrell appears not to have been so forthcoming.
See report on http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/27494596
The full report from the RFU will appear later in the week in their time.
6 weeks is ridiculous seeing their was no stoppage or report on the field of play. Ugh !! for his development plans.
Perhaps Owen should have followed Salesi Ma'afu and done a one punch jaw breaker and get only a one week ban - but no that is not like Owen and Tigers.
***** We MUST appeal why wait until the second of September.
Last edited by wormus on Tue May 27, 2014 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

Door opens for Burns. Methinks such is the hatred of Saints management that they would not have written anything in support of Tigers player even if contact was accidental. It would be interesting to know why no action was taken for the bite on Youngs in the previous game when in Williams case the ref did not even refer it to video ref at the time.
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

One week for a deliberate full bloodied punch to the face. Six weeks for accidental contact with the eye area.

Hmmm!

Ah, of course, one was to a Tigers player and the other by a Tigers player.
Still keeping the faith!
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

Im confused as to why he has pleaded guilty to it. If it was accidental then he wouldn't plead guilty so it must have been deliberate? I hope not and haven't seen anything to suggest he is a dirty player. Think I will wait to see the full details of the hearing before passing further comment.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Bill W (2) wrote:One week for a deliberate full bloodied punch to the face. Six weeks for accidental contact with the eye area.

Hmmm!

Ah, of course, one was to a Tigers player and the other by a Tigers player.
Fully concur, two clear punches 1 week ban, Williams who on replay has not done nothing wrong, yes he has admitted he caught the guy but nothing more, no intent or provocation, the system is wrong and corrupt, 6 weeks give me a break, GBH from Clark and given 32 weeks, the guy should have gone to HMP!!
TigerAlex
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerAlex »

kingol22 wrote:Im confused as to why he has pleaded guilty to it. If it was accidental then he wouldn't plead guilty so it must have been deliberate?
Not necessarily. Depending on the footage/player statements and based on previous rulings, he was probably advised to plead guilty as the likelihood is that he'd have been found guilty one way or another and this way at least he'll have received the full discount (or he should have). Also, in previous similar cases, lack of intent doesn't acquit the player- all that happens is that it gets called 'reckless' and the player gets banned anyway, but they get no discount for an early plea/remorse etc. So whether accidental or deliberate, he could still be found to have made contact with the eye area. So effectively, the question is, did he make contact with the eyes/eye area, either accidentally or deliberately?

Agree the tariffs handed out are ridiculous, especially in comparison to other recent bans and the whole process is as bent as a boomerang.
Baggy42

Post by Baggy42 »

seems to be quite an emotive topic as a popular player is looking at a ban which will no delay what is likely to be an international career (although the last thing England need is for wales to get a quality fly half to unleash their backs!)

In this thread there have been a few people who have been disgruntled with Ma'afu's 1 week ban - which whilst seems short the context of the ban and the incident are covered really well in the RFU report

http://www.rfu.com/thegame/discipline/j ... may14.ashx

I find these a good read and help me understand the through process behind the ban. In this incidents case they offer a (what I believe to be) fair and accurate account of what happened and then offer mitigation.

This is how they came to a one week ban.

In the case of Williams there are a few comments blaming the saints management for this ban and even Burrell which I must be honest, I find incredible. I genuinely understand getting behind your players, but to blame the opposition team or even the victim of the foul play is perhaps a little hasty when not in possession of the full facts.
It really is worth waiting for the written judgement before reacting.
For what it is worth, the comments about Williams being advised to plead guilty even if the contact was entirely accidental could well be true, and that might explain what is a lower end ban albeit with high consequences (missed international opportunity)

by the way to add context to my comments I am a saints fan, and I joined this forum not to rub people up the wrong way so sorry if this post does, I just really enjoy the game and find it interesting looking at other clubs viewpoints on incidents as I do of course wear my black green and gold goggles most of the time! :smt023