Murrayfield Stadium naming rights

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Murrayfield Stadium naming rights

Post by biffer »

Are about to be sold to BT. £20million over five to seven years. This will wipe out the SRU debt and free up money from servicing and repaying the debt (c. £3million p.a.) to be invested in Scottish rugby - probably a fair slab of it to the pro teams. Also gives a slab of cash (£8-9 million) on hand for other investments such as a home ground for Edinburgh.

A few observations -

1)it seems BT are serious in their commitment to rugby
2)investment is going on in all rugby countries and if you don't keep up you'll suffer
3)what's people's views on selling Welford Road's naming rights in the same way, once the current stand naming deals have expired? A complete stadium deal would be worth more money
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Murrayfield Stadium naming rights

Post by Stu_F »

Will the new tram stop that's been built called "Murrayfield Stadium" have to be renamed?
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Stu_F wrote:Will the new tram stop that's been built called "Murrayfield Stadium" have to be renamed?

The Crumbie will always be the Crumbie. Welford Road will always be Welford Road. Murrayfield will always be Murrayfield.
Still keeping the faith!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

But will it Bill, Lansdowne Road and the Arms Parks? gone...............
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Ah! The Celts have so little respect for tradition!!

Shoud Twickers become "The him with money" stadium?

:smt027
Still keeping the faith!
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

It probably will be....
Pam.B

Post by Pam.B »

tigerburnie wrote:But will it Bill, Lansdowne Road and the Arms Parks? gone...............
The Arms Park is still there - next to the Millennium Stadium, and used by Cardiff. :smt002
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Bill W (2) wrote:Ah! The Celts have so little respect for tradition!!

Shoud Twickers become "The him with money" stadium?

:smt027
As far as I'm concerned, if they gave us enough money they could call it the plinky plonky unicorns and fairy dust dome. Probably need more than £20 million for that to be fair though.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Bill W (2) wrote:
Stu_F wrote:Will the new tram stop that's been built called "Murrayfield Stadium" have to be renamed?

The Crumbie will always be the Crumbie. Welford Road will always be Welford Road. Murrayfield will always be Murrayfield.
The GNC will always be the CAT :smt003
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

sapajo wrote:
Bill W (2) wrote:

The GNC will always be the CAT :smt003
Nah! It's the Members Stand!
Still keeping the faith!
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

The CAT was a massive concrete thing put where an old wooden thing called the Members once stood
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

A rose by any other name.....
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
watsonjm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by watsonjm »

biffer wrote:As far as I'm concerned, if they gave us enough money they could call it the plinky plonky unicorns and fairy dust dome. Probably need more than £20 million for that to be fair though.

As much as I hate the new trend of sponsored grounds I love 'The plinky plonky unicorns and fairy dust dome' and 100% think this should happen :smt003

Alternatively I could live with something like 'Welford road GNC/Caterpillar/other brand name Stadium'.

Basically any sponsor must be proceeded by Welford Road
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

watsonjm wrote:
biffer wrote:As far as I'm concerned, if they gave us enough money they could call it the plinky plonky unicorns and fairy dust dome. Probably need more than £20 million for that to be fair though.

As much as I hate the new trend of sponsored grounds I love 'The plinky plonky unicorns and fairy dust dome' and 100% think this should happen :smt003

Alternatively I could live with something like 'Welford road GNC/Caterpillar/other brand name Stadium'.

Don't think RFU would allow Twickers to be called Welford Road whoever sponsors it!!!

:smt003
Still keeping the faith!
watsonjm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by watsonjm »

Bill W (2) wrote:
watsonjm wrote:

Don't think RFU would allow Twickers to be called Welford Road whoever sponsors it!!!

:smt003
I'll respond to this tomorrow as I'm not willing to tempt fate with what I would like to post.