Post by vin rouge »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... ouble.html

is expensive if you are Saracens....
tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: The price of Success...

Post by tig1 »

What a fantastic way to reward the loyalty of your core supporters.

He is treating them as shareholders in his business, and paying them a big dividend upon the success of the business. If the business is not successful they don't get paid.

Great to see a sports club treat supporters that way.
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

They really are struggling to create a reasonably sized fan base aren't they. Despite all the free tickets and this offer they still only get 2500 season ticket renewals....
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

Love it...(but am resisting liking them).
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

kingol22 wrote:They really are struggling to create a reasonably sized fan base aren't they. Despite all the free tickets and this offer they still only get 2500 season ticket renewals....
2500 renewals out of how many? They can't get more than they had the previous season. And with all the free tickets why bother?
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tig1 »

kingol22 wrote:They really are struggling to create a reasonably sized fan base aren't they. Despite all the free tickets and this offer they still only get 2500 season ticket renewals....
Is that number lower than Wasps ? or Sale ? of Newcastle ? as examples. Judging by their crowds i assume not.

The only difference of course is that Saracens happen to be at the top of the table.
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

h's dad wrote:
2500 renewals out of how many? They can't get more than they had the previous season. And with all the free tickets why bother?
2500 renewals by the 3rd April - that's not how many they had in total, just how many committed early
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

tig1 wrote:
Is that number lower than Wasps ? or Sale ? of Newcastle ? as examples. Judging by their crowds i assume not.

The only difference of course is that Saracens happen to be at the top of the table.
But the teams you have listed are not making anywhere near as much effort to increase their fan base, at least not in a similar fashion.
Bristol Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bristol Tiger »

I'm now hoping that they win the Heineken and we meet them in the Aviva Premiership final - they'll have an incentive not to win :smt003

And agree with previous post - the 2,500 is the total for early renewals, not all season tickets purchased.
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

tig1 wrote:What a fantastic way to reward the loyalty of your core supporters.

He is treating them as shareholders in his business, and paying them a big dividend upon the success of the business. If the business is not successful they don't get paid.

Great to see a sports club treat supporters that way.
Surely in your haste to praise all things Sarries you don't make sense. Paying a big dividend to shareholders is only legal when you have reserves. Sarries do not have any reserves so how can they pay dividends? You say if the business is not successful they don't get paid well this applies to Sarries. In the professional era they have failed to increase their fan base and only won one premiership title. Hardly a success. Financially they made a big loss and to give the fans their money back would just increase their losses. It would also be interesting to see if their accounts had a note about the contingent liability or even a provision. It is not a sports club treating its supporters but rich millionaires who are on an ego trip. This is rent a mob at its best.

I would praise Tigers for treating us well by reaching 9 finals on the trot. Add to it the numerous European Cup finals and LV Cup finals and I think we have not only been treated well by the club but actually spoilt. Its something that money can't buy!
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Pass the bucket! I wanna be sick!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Big Dai wrote:Pass the bucket! I wanna be sick!
Don't fill it up BD there is a queue!! :smt043
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Let's face it they never expected to pay out but they also knew if they did then they would easily recoup it in merch, sponsorship, next years tickets, etc, etc. Also it's quite possible they insured against it. A bookie or an insurance company would make them pretty big odds to do the double.

I have no big like for Sarries. I went to Wembley last year when we played them and it was dire. There song, image, etc, doesn't naturally endear me to them. But hopefully they will settle at Barnet, cement their fan base more naturally, etc.

I am really not sure about their performance at Clermont. Yes, they played well but the scoreline did flatter them. Having said that I think they are the sort of team that could do well against Toulon and neither us or Saints are firing on all cylinders. It's going to hurt a little bit if it happens but we should suck it up and wish them well if it does. I still have hope and a degree of faith we can pull it together though!