Sarries Wembley attendance. Really?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BJ.
Super User
Super User

Re: Sarries Wembley attendance. Really?

Post by BJ. »

Suftum64 wrote:Watched the Sarries game at the weekend. Have to agree with earlier post, for 80,000 fans, sure were quiet!!
I would guess Saracens have a real fan base of no more than 5000. The only way they can get anywhere near the number to fill somewhere like Wembley is to either give away thousands upon thousands of tickets or sell them at ridiculously low prices. I wonder how many of the recipients of these free/cheap tickets will be at Allianz Park for their next home match.

I still cannot get my head around the fact they call themselves Saracens yet the supporters wear costumes resembling that worn by Crusaders. It would be like us all turning up dressed as big game hunters whilst calling ourselves Tigers. :smt017
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Suftum64 wrote:"Most 'football' of rugby grounds" Not sure if that's an insult or not? :smt002
We have a great friendly atmosphere at Ravenhill I like to think, and can greet true travelling rugby fans in the same manner we were treated at Welford Road in January.
Watched the Sarries game at the weekend. Have to agree with earlier post, for 80,000 fans, sure were quiet!!
Being as you think comparison to a football ground may be offensive, could you please explain whether your user name is a badly spelt foul mouthed acronym (ala football) or whether it has some other meaning?
Thank you.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

h's dad wrote:Being as you think comparison to a football ground may be offensive, could you please explain whether your user name is a badly spelt foul mouthed acronym (ala football) or whether it has some other meaning?
Thank you.
Even I've figured out it's 'Stand Up For The Ulster Men'.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

BJ. wrote:
h's dad wrote:Being as you think comparison to a football ground may be offensive, could you please explain whether your user name is a badly spelt foul mouthed acronym (ala football) or whether it has some other meaning?
Thank you.
I really do apologise most humbly. Please excuse me while I remove my foot from my mouth, didn't realise I was still so supple.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Suftum64

Post by Suftum64 »

h's dad wrote:
Suftum64 wrote:"Most 'football' of rugby grounds" Not sure if that's an insult or not? :smt002
We have a great friendly atmosphere at Ravenhill I like to think, and can greet true travelling rugby fans in the same manner we were treated at Welford Road in January.
Watched the Sarries game at the weekend. Have to agree with earlier post, for 80,000 fans, sure were quiet!!
Being as you think comparison to a football ground may be offensive, could you please explain whether your user name is a badly spelt foul mouthed acronym (ala football) or whether it has some other meaning?
Thank you.
No prob "H's dad", no offence taken. :smt023 At least your username is self explanatory.
Thanks BJ for pointing it out.
Suftum64

Post by Suftum64 »

BJ. wrote:
Thank you.
Thanks BJ for pointing that out.
I believe Sarries sing (not too loudly though) "Stand up for the Saracens" Nicked our song!! But then Mark McCall their Director of Rugby is an ex-Ulster boy; won the Heineken with Ulster in'99.
When we went to Twickenham for the quarters last year against Sarries we had the slogan "Make Twickenham Home". Guess what their slogan is coming to us next month?...."Make Ravenhill Home"!! If there's 2,000 fans coming then I guess that's about right. :smt003
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

BJ. wrote: I still cannot get my head around the fact they call themselves Saracens yet the supporters wear costumes resembling that worn by Crusaders. It would be like us all turning up dressed as big game hunters whilst calling ourselves Tigers. :smt017
I have flagged this up often and not had a response either on here or from Sarries supporters. I can only surmise (and that is all it is) that as it occurred under Dr Venter's stewardship and he is a fundamentalist Christian, there was some objection to the Islamic nature of the name?
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
beech

Post by beech »

The idea that having a match at Wembley brings in more people to rugby is questionable. Surely if it did the attendance at Saracens home games at Barnet would have increased considerably over the years but it doesn't seem to have worked.
tf22
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

It's interesting that despite the London Double Headers at Twickers and 'world record crowds' at Wembley both Quins and Sarries trail behind us in attendance so far for 2013/14 season so far.
According to Aviva Premiership site http://www.premiershiprugby.com/stats/a ... 2013#18099
1. Tigers 203,377
2. Quins 177,663
3. Sarries 151,443
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
Grinsteadtiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Grinsteadtiger »

Smerfswillgetyou using the link that you kindly gave us I see that Tigers have headed the attendance records every year since 1998 (only go back that far)not bad for as some would have us believe an average club.
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

Grinsteadtiger wrote:Smerfswillgetyou using the link that you kindly gave us I see that Tigers have headed the attendance records every year since 1998 (only go back that far)not bad for as some would have us believe an average club.
The trouble is some on here constantly moan about the coaches/style of play or letting young players go and if you just read this forum you would think we are a club who are having a terrible season. Taking everything into account even if we don't win anything this season or make the finals IMHO we have had a decent season. Certainly there are a lot of disgruntled fans who have voted with their feet as evidenced by the stats mostly due to a lack of big screen, constant changing of fixtures dates and coaches who don't know what they are doing. :smt003
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

According to the "Independent on Sunday" Sarries made £500, 000 (half a million pounds) profit from the last Wembley game. TV rights? what? :smt017
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Old Hob wrote:According to the "Independent on Sunday" Sarries made £500, 000 (half a million pounds) profit from the last Wembley game. TV rights? what? :smt017
They would not do it every season if it cost them money.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

If you get relatively small crowds and operate near London then moving makes sense (Sarries and Wasps). Real supporters will not being asked to travel significantly further or at greater cost. If you're Quins popping across the rad to Twickers makes sense on occasion, as you'll take all your regular fans.

I don't, however, see how it can ever really work for other clubs. Where, for instance, could Tigers go to significantly change their attendance without abandoning a large supporter percentage and incurring us real extra costs?
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

A London double header makes a great deal of sense.
They are more likely to sell more tickets combined than if they play the two matches at home venues.

I'm sure a number of the attendees at the match had no affiliations to any of the clubs but were drawn in by 2 matches.

No doubt many of the tickets were given away hence all the empty seats but enough will have been sold and enough hospitality and advertising sold on the basis of the big crowd and TV coverage to pay enough to justify it.

If we were based in London we would do it too.