What's Toby done wrong?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

What's Toby done wrong?

Post by L Smith »

Does anyone have any information (aside from the party line) on why Toby isn't starting? I'd have thought he would still be first choice stand off until the end of the season. Has he got on the wrong side of Cockerill or is it linked back to his on-field spat with Logi?
Thanks
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Re: What's Toby done wrong?

Post by BJ. »

As I said on page 3 here,

Flood is going, Williams is staying so let's give young Owen as much game time as possible. If it doesn't work out, there's always a wise head on the bench ready to come on.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Sometimes you can read more into these things than there really is. Floods form has been a little off at times. Williams is being merged into the team and is the future star. It's a real dilemma for Cockerill and I'd be surprised if he knew for sure who is going to get the nod on a week by week basis.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Personally I think Williams might just be tipping it on form, just as Tait was over Murphy last season. Flood's last two starts, the single point victory away at Worcester, and the very tight win at home to Gloucester, hardly set the world on fire.

Williams' kicking has been flakey at time, but he's playing very well - as Cockers has said in the press, he's a very real option to tour with Wales in the summer.
tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tig1 »

Toby's form has slipped. It cannot be easy. Leaving your long term club, moving country, giving up on any further international and World Cup hopes, dealing with contracts, lawyers, agents, media speculation, taking care of your family etc etc.

Hope he will find his form for one final hurrah at Twickenham.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Toby has not been on great form, but he has enough "in the bank" with Tigers to back his class and temperament in these next few crucial games.

The thought of Williams at 10 away at saints and Clermont worries me a lot; hopefully I'll be proved wrong!
Soggypitch
TigerintheCatStand
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TigerintheCatStand »

As others have said it is primarily form. He is there when needed.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I would also note that Toby had been nursing an injury AND he has been mentoring Williams. It seems that Tigers are playing canny, keeping Toby from further damage, keeping him ticking over, having the best of his knowledge for OW and giving OW good game time.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

By not resigning for the Tigers. He is off play the boys who want to stay!! We all know RCs mentality on leavers.....look at previous seasons!!
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Last year we had George Ford leaving, but was played, when Billy Twelvetrees was leaving, he was played, Wiggo, you're either muddled up or have a selective memory. Cockers gives the shirt to those who will win us the game, as you would expect from the countries top coach.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

RC has rarely played individuals after they have declared that they are leaving. He is on record, though I'm working on memory here, saying that he won't develop players for another club.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

I would go a step further - I don't think Toby has been good enough to warrant the 10 shirt recently. Poor form, bad mistake that cost us the game against Ulster when he had lots of time but was charged down. I feel that his mind has been elsewhere i.e. focused on his move. I expected him to start v Exeter and the two big away games but RC is clearly looking at the future.

Interesting comments that RC doesn't play those leaving. Agree about Ford and 12T. If that were the case why is TTTE on the bench today v his future employers given RC could have selected Mafi or Matera?
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Forgot in my last post - Goneva is in the team once again and he is leaving at the end of the season (sadly).
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

MrPartridge wrote:Forgot in my last post - Goneva is in the team once again and he is leaving at the end of the season (sadly).
Its widely reported as not a done deal, and Cockers today said its not a done deal. We have to try and reach an agreement with Niki on salary. We can't offer him as much as Castres can.

Back on topic, well played Owen! Looking very much the part and deserved the shirt at the minute. :smt023
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Darc Tiger wrote:
MrPartridge wrote:Forgot in my last post - Goneva is in the team once again and he is leaving at the end of the season (sadly).
Its widely reported as not a done deal, and Cockers today said its not a done deal. We have to try and reach an agreement with Niki on salary. We can't offer him as much as Castres can.

Back on topic, well played Owen! Looking very much the part and deserved the shirt at the minute. :smt023
Anyone else notice that YBY, who I thought generally had a good day, went all to pot when Floody came off the bench.....