Teams up v Bath (LV Cup)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Teams up v Bath (LV Cup)

Post by sapajo »

kingol22 wrote:Its only the LV, at least we still have the HC and prem to think about :smt023 :smt023

Dissapointing result but the Bath bench made the difference, Scully, Hepetema and Matera impressed and will hopefully get some more game time over the six nations. Was a surprisingly good game of rugby considering the conditions, we just couldn't deal with the Bath maul which is very hard to admit :smt009
Could not deal with the Bath forwards full stop that was a no brainer when the teams were announced.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

Mickey Mouse competition that we are better off out of. Teams like Bath and Northampton who haven't won much in recent years will always take it more serious and good luck to them. Wait till the play offs when both the aforementioned sides are stale.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Tomvarndell wrote:. Teams like Bath and Northampton who haven't won much in recent years will always take it more serious and good luck to them. Wait till the play offs when both the aforementioned sides are stale.
Perhaps this was true in seasons gone by but both teams have much stronger squads now so I would not bank or rely upon it.
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

Rubbish. Our squad is stronger but we have more injuries and have also rested more players.....even if we won the LV and nothing else our season would be deemed a failure....Cockers knows what he is doing and will bring us real silverware. This result is a blessing.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Tomvarndell wrote:Rubbish. Our squad is stronger but we have more injuries and have also rested more players.....even if we won the LV and nothing else our season would be deemed a failure....Cockers knows what he is doing and will bring us real silverware. This result is a blessing.

Loosing a home game is not a blessing! It is a disaster!!

Pat Howard observed that to win a pot in the LV all you had to do was win 6 matches.
Still keeping the faith!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Tomvarndell wrote:Rubbish. Our squad is stronger but we have more injuries and have also rested more players.....even if we won the LV and nothing else our season would be deemed a failure....Cockers knows what he is doing and will bring us real silverware. This result is a blessing.
Oh dear you heard first on this Tigers Supporters Forum losing at Welford Rd is now a blessing :smt017
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Didn't see the game, but the result was predictable. Bath had a stronger team out (particularly their bench). Sounds like we played pretty well for half the match, but their experience told in the end. The lads will be better for the gametime.

Time to turn our season around by nailing the 6N period! :smt023
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Like it or not, and let's not bang on about injuries,(all clubs have them), we no longer have the squad or talent that the likes of Bath, Northampton, Sarries and Quins have. Every match in a professional era should count and now I fear we will struggle v even the likes of Worcester. I hope I am proved wrong and will continue to cheer the team on, but this is the time for the club to take a serious look at recruitment and put the injuries out of the minds of everyone. In other words,just get back to winning and playing with more heart!
Crivvens
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crivvens »

Yep, it's as easy as that.
Blimey...
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

I hate to ask this but….

Any injuries?
rocktop51
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rocktop51 »

Funny how the LV isn't important when we lose but was taken as the opposite when we won it a couple if seasons ago? :smt017
Hambo :- He was with England when he was injured, but he was a Tigers player, our player. He is still our player.”
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Went to the game - decent first half but poor after the break. Wet, cold, horrible night with not much to cheer. No way there was 19,000 watching. Good to see the likes of Matera and Scully getting a run. Didn't notice any obvious injuries.

The hard work starts now with 4 MUST WIN games v Worcester, Gloucester, Irish and Newcastle during the 6Ns. Need to get some momentum and key players like Manu, Parling, etc all fit a ahead of the big games in March/April.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote="Tomvarndell"]Rubbish. Our squad is stronger but we have more injuries and have also rested more players.....even if we won the LV and nothing else our season would be deemed a failure....Cockers knows what he is doing and will bring us real silverware. This result is a blessing.[/quote]

On paper we might have a (slightly) stronger squad than Bath at the moment (not so compared to Sarries and Saints imo), however Bath were able to put out a stronger team than Tigers on this occasion, and in the end, this experience told, and they deservedly won. Obviously, no team likes to lose, especially at home, so hardly a blessing.
Nonetheless, taking a pragmatic approach, this is not the end of the world in the circumstances.
On the plus side, there were some good performances from some fringe and younger players, and this game experience will do them good.
Time will tell if resting some players for forth-coming games was a good move. As Darc says, we need some good performances against Worcs and Glaws.
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

Injuries are simply not an excuse, its part and parcel of running a squad. Okay Cockers can say that the LV isn't part of the bigger Tigers game plan, but three back to back home defeats is simply not the way tigers work.

How many more times is Cockers going to say the opposition bench made the difference in a game? He has a bench and simply doesn't use it. I'm seeing lots of signing's all over the other clubs and the only thing of note for Tigers is the departure of Choo Choo.

The salary cap's going up, the squads got injuries and there is a clear need for a 10 (like we don't know). I simply do not understand where the spark has gone, its like we're almost to now accept a home loss.

To be honest, Matera and Hepatema had a good game I thought - both showed smart skills and good strength. I thought Choo Choo as captain made some poor personal play calls, Chuter, well, what was he thinking?

I'm all for focusing on the main silverware targets, but that's if you have a bulletproof game plan for the rest of the season - let us not forget how many injuries have come back lately and get injured on the first game back.

6N is all well and good, but other squads have better strength in depth than us. The worry I have is we're starting to show a lack of conviction and belief in achieving a result.

We are seriously missing a scrum based captain at the moment, and whilst Choo Choo tried, its not the fire in the belly approach we need at Tigers.

Quite frankly, we are not even close to the likes of Quins and Barf, and as for Sarries - completely different league this season.

The future is worrying...near term.
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Purebob »

Ian Cant wrote:Like it or not, and let's not bang on about injuries,(all clubs have them), we no longer have the squad or talent that the likes of Bath, Northampton, Sarries and Quins have. Every match in a professional era should count and now I fear we will struggle v even the likes of Worcester. I hope I am proved wrong and will continue to cheer the team on, but this is the time for the club to take a serious look at recruitment and put the injuries out of the minds of everyone. In other words,just get back to winning and playing with more heart!
Players missing last night not injured:

Cole - International duty
OTY - International duty
YBY - International/rested.
Thompstone - International duty

First team players rested for the important battles ahead.

Allen
Ayerza
Briggs
Crane
Deacon
Flood
Goneva
Mele
Salvi
Slater

Injured

Benjamin
Bowden
Camacho
Croft
Kitchener
Morris
Logo
Parling
Tait
Manu

Tell me again that our squad is poor and injuries don't matter ?