RSPB BIg Garden Birdwatch

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rizzo

RSPB BIg Garden Birdwatch

Post by Rizzo »

anyone taking part in the Garden Birdwatch this weekend? Let us kinow how you get on, what foods etc you use.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Nailsworthstiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: RSPB BIg Garden Birdwatch

Post by Nailsworthstiger »

My wife uses fatballs, niger seeds sunflower seeds and peanuts. She watched from the window this morning and saw the regular wood peckers and dunnocks, finches, tits (am I aloud to say tits :smt003 ) a sparrow hawk , magpies, jays blackbirds and sparrows. Last year the wood peckers didn't come into the garden when she did this but today there were 3!
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

Just done it and saw 14 different species. The coal tits and long tailed tits didn't turn up but Mrs Bullfinch did. A grey wagtail turned up yesterday, probably looking for food. Also saw, as always, too many grey squirrels.
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

I was child minding my niece. She recorded 3 crows & 1 magpie, I'm not convinced it wasn't the same crow3 times though!
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

You're meant to record the maximum number of each species seen at one time :smt002

I started doing mine yesterday just before the storm hit (had radio on to listen to the game) and suddenly all the small birds vanished. Got slightly excited thinking I'd be recording a sparrowhawk (as both male and female often visit my garden) but then WHAM thunder, lightning, hail, torrential rain and mad gusts of winds. No wonder they all rushed into the hedge! Gave up.

Tried again earlier today, still getting heavy rain on and off, but bird count definitely down from last year. 2 Blackbirds (male & female), blue tit, robin, dunnock, wren, one magpie and for ocne only 2 wood pigeons! Seems a combination of the mild wet winter and the stormy weekend meant many people were getting less birds than in previous years.

I also like the fact they asked for logs of what other animals visit regularly throughout the year, even though it's only grey squirrel and common frog for my patch. I know there are badgers in the area but never seen one in the garden.

Foxes were particularly vocal in the road last night though :smt001
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother