Tigers vs Ulster - Teams up!!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

youngtiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Tigers vs Ulster - Teams up!!

Post by youngtiger »

Tigerbeat wrote:Met the Club scout at tonight's game and he was saying that there are some good potential signings without naming names........watch this space!
Who is the Club Scout may I ask? I'm pretty sure it used to be Dusty Hare before he left to Stains right?
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

youngtiger wrote:
Tigerbeat wrote:Met the Club scout at tonight's game and he was saying that there are some good potential signings without naming names........watch this space!
Who is the Club Scout may I ask? I'm pretty sure it used to be Dusty Hare before he left to Stains right?
Ged Glynn, as reported in the Mercury a couple of weeks ago

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/recog ... story.html
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Too riight we neeed some punch.............!!!

We are supposed to be Englands No 1 Team, but we have regressed badly sacrificing quality for quantity, over the last few seasons ..

A good basic squad, but no individual brilliance once one or two are sidelined..

We now have a mountain to climb for any silverwear, and even with our famous never say die attitude, I for one as a supporter for 60+ years aint feeling too optimistic.

Hope I am 100% wrong...
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

No need to panic, Ulster are a quality team and we only lost by 3 point without the likes of Croft, Manu, Benjamin and Comacho. I think we are still in contention for all 3 trophies if our injuries clear up, and I would like to see any other English club survive the injury crisis we have had, Hell Northampton are out and they have been the "premier" English team according to pundits
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

People saying "Don't point the finger" but just how often does TF get charged down - too often. We kick the ball away too often - long box kicks with no-one chasing is merely a free gift to the opposition. Goneva, I felt, didn't fancy a couple of the chases as they would have been collisions and, it seemed, he backed off. At one point there were 7 forwards spread across the field in receiving positions and Smith, Ant Allen and Niall Morris hitting rucks!!!

However, despite all the negatives that suggest this is not a vintage side there was some good ambition although even with that there is always a "but". Ambition, yes; but some of the passing in the first few attacks was very iffy indeed and the ball was only picked up with difficulty, skill and agility. There's nothing like making it easy for yourself!

Both sets of players looked exhausted at the end but Ulster had used their bench. When they replaced their forwards their scrum improved enormously.

Our replacement policy used to be: At 50 minutes change over whatever is happening or however well/badly people are playing.Now, it's: No change unless you are injured? or No change until the 82 minute(what was that?). Can our coaches have a more intelligent approach to match management? Will we ask YBY to please try to retain the ball a little more and not wait until we are playing catch-up? Heads up TF - see if there's anyone coming.

And finally, how many injuries? Tait went off as did Kitchener.

We were pretty evenly matched - we had the game bagged at 19 -9 and gave it away. Where is the spirit of Tigers of old - Johnno and Peter Wheeler?
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

KEEP THE FAITH!!
Last edited by Bill W (2) on Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Still keeping the faith!
smalldell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by smalldell »

Just hope we can get the guys fully fit for the return of the premiership on the 7th Feb.

Do not know the extent of the injuries to Kitchener; Tait and Crane but hope former two back soon as Cranes looks very long term.

We seriously need to sort out the 13 position. Smith is not the answer. Gonerva has to play there in the big games.

As for the up coming LV Cup games. Development side please. Lets get Balmain and co playing. And on that note we are desperately short of quality props.

Also Hamilton...poor yesterday. Would have put Morris at 15 and Hamilton on the wing and as Greenwood said switch Smith and Gonerva.

Anyway match done well done Ulster we just need to get guys Fully fit.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The bench an its use was an issue.
I would have had both TTE and Mafi on the bench, the latter really as second row cover.
These days it's a huge ask to keep a tight head on for a whole game and should Balmain have come on or don't they think Balmain is up to it?

The loss of Benjamin was significant in that we lost our speed main on the wing so the chip through (which did enable us to score) and was clearly a planned tactic was weakened without his pace.

Tait going off was a killer blow to our attacking ambitions.
barwelltiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by barwelltiger »

Attacking ambitions? We showed none all game just running in to a wall of white every time! the coaches cocked up with the tatics smith should of been no where near the 13 shirt! And what is Paul Burke doing with the backs looking a shamble of their former selves when MOC was in charge. You can only blame injuries for so long... On another hand defence looked solid tonight
MICKW

Post by MICKW »

We have no one at 10, 12 or 13 the real pace and who can cause problems for the opposition. Manu is difficult to stop but we need someone who can make a break and get away. We seem to recruit a lot of forwards, who can win the ball and then we have no backs who know what to do with it.
Please stop making Ben Youngs the scapegoat. He is looking for runners coming at pace to pass to so that we can go forward and there isn't any. He then has to pass to a forward who is static and we go backwards. The ball is recycled and the same thing happens again and again. When we do manage to get a forward coming at pace we usually score. It isn't rocket science just basic common sense.
Next season, Ed Slater at number 8 and captain.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Some on here need to men up to the fact that we lost to the top seeds in this competition in a very close and well contested game. The best team on the night won, show some grace in defeat.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
snipewatson

Post by snipewatson »

tigerburnie wrote:Some on here need to men up to the fact that we lost to the top seeds in this competition in a very close and well contested game. The best team on the night won, show some grace in defeat.
I think I called this one right TB........rugby won.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

tigerburnie wrote:Some on here need to men up to the fact that we lost to the top seeds in this competition in a very close and well contested game. The best team on the night won, show some grace in defeat.
Thanks Burnie you may be right about somethings but I suggest to you that Ulster are not the top seeds in the competition. In fact they are but a top seed in our group as a result of having won it. As there were six groups so there are now six top seeds as group winners and two highest scoring group runners up.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

sapajo wrote:
Thanks Burnie you may be right about somethings but I suggest to you that Ulster are not the top seeds in the competition. In fact they are but a top seed in our group as a result of having won it. As there were six groups so there are now six top seeds as group winners and two highest scoring group runners up.

Ulster are the top seeds going into the quarter finals being the only team to have won all their group games.

No team who has won all their group games has gone on to win the Cup
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Tigerbeat wrote:
sapajo wrote:

Ulster are the top seeds going into the quarter finals being the only team to have won all their group games.

No team who has won all their group games has gone on to win the Cup
Thanks Tigerbeat for pointing out my gross mistake and I owe you an apology Tigerburnie after swallowing a large chunk of humble pie :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity