Well done to Ulster!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BJ.
Super User
Super User

Re: Well done to Ulster!

Post by BJ. »

Northeast Tiger wrote: A question I have always wanted to ask,I wonder how many of the Northern Irish born players would rather play for England rather than Ireland as there (sic) political loyalties are with the mainland?
Pardon?

Northern Ireland is a constituent part of the United Kingdom (full name the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland) as are England, Scotland and Wales so why should their 'political loyalties' lie on this side of the water? You may as well ask if the NI-born players would rather play for Scotland or Wales.
Last edited by BJ. on Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
snipewatson

Post by snipewatson »

Northeast Tiger wrote:
stonebob wrote:great match well done to both teams ..nice to see no whinging about the ref ..both teams knew what you get with owens..
I agree Stonebob. The result was nothing to do with the Referee. I like Owens' he has a good rapport with the players and I liked his comment to a raucous Anthony Allen. " The Football stadium is 100 yards that way" Top stuff.
We would rather have Owens than any just about any ref even if we are playing a welsh team, we'd take him. Poite is another ref we quite like.
amazing tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by amazing tiger »

most of the ulster supporters we`re fine just one guy next to me annoyed me thought leicester were always cheating and the ref was wrong when he gave us a penalty. also he didnt seem to know much about the game.
chinnjamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chinnjamie »

The Ulster team and fans really are a class outfit, good luck to them.
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bowden Tiger »

Totally agree with the comments about Ulster and their fans. They contributed to what was a great game.
As regards Mr Owens, I have seen worse, but why did we not get a French referee.
scrumfive

Post by scrumfive »

Just home from what was an amazing trip to Welford Road, it was a good old fashioned game of rugby played by two fully committed teams, it was a close game and could have went either way but thankfully it went ours, Leicester fans were excellent and a credit to your great club. Best of luck against Clermont and hopefully we'll play each other in the semis at the Aviva.....Stand Up For The Leicestermen.
rocktop51
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rocktop51 »

I agree that it was a great game played in the true spirit that has always been part of Rugby. However once I saw that Owens was the ref my heart sank. I knew that we wouldn't get any 50/50 decisions - how many crooked line outs, offsides, being off their feet at a ruck etc did he miss? I'm not blaming him for the result but I fail to see how he is viewed as a good ref :smt018
Hambo :- He was with England when he was injured, but he was a Tigers player, our player. He is still our player.”
Cockatrice
Tiger Cub

Post by Cockatrice »

Northeast Tiger wrote:Well done Ulster. A great never say die attitude last night. This could be your year. A question I have always wanted to ask,I wonder how many of the Northern Irish born players would rather play for England rather than Ireland as there political loyalties are with the mainland?
Anyway good luck against Saffa's and it would be nice to meet you in the final. :smt030
Am I not right in thinking that eligibility is based on country of birth, parents/grandparents and residency of 3 or more years. I understand that Steenson from Exeter may be entitled to play for England. Would your selectors ever pick him?
Dave
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Dave »

Now I have calmed down...

Tigers worked very hard and earned a 10 point lead. They then squandered it through mistakes. We lost it. That is a big issue; Tigers need to close off the game when they are in that position, but they seem to lack that ability at the moment.

Ulster are a strong team, but I think Tigers we better than the sum of their parts on the day for 60 minutes. Its probably the most up for it that I have seen then play in a long time.

Loosing 3 players to injury was a big issue for tigers, especially as those players seemed to be making the most impact. Ordinarily that should not be an issue, but give the general state of injury at the moment it really hurt Tigers who did not have a very strong bench.

Until the try I was wondering if Morris was on the pitch. Our wings struggled yesterday.
the fat plumber

Post by the fat plumber »

good point about morris if you look closely at replay he could have called a mark when he caught the ball just before toby handed them the game! these are the small margins cockers bangs on about top 2" cost us the match :smt017
life is a roller coaster just got to ride it
richmondredhand

Post by richmondredhand »

Just wanted to say thanks to the Tigers for a fantastic weekend in Leicester. It is a wonderful rugby town and you have a great stadium and fantastic fans. Everyone we spoke to was friendly and very gracious.

We were sitting in the GNC in the midst of the home fans and the banter was great - having a bunch of loud Ulstermen in your home isn't always everyone's idea of fun but everyone from the kids to the pensioners chatted to us.

Good luck for the trip to France and also with the Aviva - would love to see you knock Sarries of their perch.
ulserfryer

Post by ulserfryer »

Another big cheers here for a superb weekend.

Leicester the place - Didn't know what to expect, but had an absolute blast with lots of good people. After the slightly soulless centre of Northampton last year, it was great to wander from one good bar to another.
Leicester the club was great. Cracking ground, friendly and smiling staff and a wonderful atmosphere.
Leicester the fans were impeccable. Great respect for teams, friendly to a fault and full of banter. Specials props to the young girl behind me, screaming at the top of her lungs for the Tigers to beat the Lobster men :-).

Massive Thanks Leicester - Good people and a great Rugby town.
Cockatrice
Tiger Cub

Post by Cockatrice »

Thanks to all the Leicester fans we met over the weekend both in the pubs and at the ground think a few around me in the H&B were surprised at the noise we made. Annoyed one fan by blocking his view of his team leaving the changing rooms but hey you can't please everyone.
SUFTUM2

Post by SUFTUM2 »

Just like to give a big thank you from an Ulster supporter who was at Welford Road for the first time.

Fantastic welcome, great game, great banter and as they say in Belfast 'the Craic was 90'

Good luck in France.

If you make it to meet us again in Ireland in the Semis I promise to buy you all a Guinness!!

SUFTUM!!!
Hinckley Bob
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Hinckley Bob »

SUFTUM2 wrote:Just like to give a big thank you from an Ulster supporter who was at Welford Road for the first time.

Fantastic welcome, great game, great banter and as they say in Belfast 'the Craic was 90'

Good luck in France.

If you make it to meet us again in Ireland in the Semis I promise to buy you all a Guinness!!

SUFTUM!!!
All of us! Will you be nervous when we are ahead in Clermont?

Seriously, it was a terrific game between two well matched sides and only slightly marred by the result. Well played Ulster.

What is SUFTUM?