Heineken Cup Permutations

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Heineken Cup Permutations

Post by iceman_19 »

I could well be in a minority, but I quite enjoy the challenge of predicting what the outcome for us will be following the final round of weekend matches - my thoughts are below, but please feel free to amend or ridicule.

1) We lose, without a bonus point. Ulster are top seeds. Saracens will be best runners up assuming they pick up 5 points at home against Connaght. If they do, we get to play Ulster again (3rd time lucky, perhaps), but if Saracens fail to get a bonus point, we will travel to the 2nd seed - probably Toulon, who should win at Glasgow. LIKELY RESULT - Tigers travel to Ravenhill. Again.

2) We lose, with a bonus point. We would be the best runner up and take th 7th seed spot. As described above, this probably means a replay of last year's quarter final, facing Toulon in France. If Glasgow spring a shock, then we would probably play Toulouse or Clermont (most likely Toulouse, owing to their better try tally) in France, as they are both likely to pick up 5 points at the weekend. LIKELY RESULT - Tigers travel to Stade Mayol. Again.

3) We win, with no bonus point (assuming Ulster don't pick up a losing bonus and a try bonus). Ulster would become the best runner up. We could become the top seeds if Toulon fail to win, and Clermont and Toulouse don't pick up winning bonus points. If the French clubs play as predicted (and they probably won't), we will end up with a home quarter final, but as the 4th seed. The likely visitors in this scenario would be Munster, who should beat Edinburgh at home, although Leinster is also a slight possibility. LIKELY RESULT - Tigers host Munster. Party time.

4) We win, with a bonus point. We will be either 1st or 2nd seeds, dependant on whether or not Toulon pick up a try bonus point win in Glasgow. If they don't, we will likely be welcoming are good friends the Saffacens, as 2nd best runners up, to Welford Road. If they do, as they should, then there will be a strong sense of deja vous in a couple of months time as Ulster will come to visit. LIKELY RESULT - Tigers host Ulster. Again.
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Re: Heineken Cup Permutations

Post by Noddy555 »

Let's not go in to permutations on who or where we play in the semi final, let's
just concentrate on Saturday's game and get the desired result. After all if we win we will get a home tie, and at Welford rosd I would fancy us against anybody, even the all blacks.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

After all if we win we will get a home tie, and at Welford rosd I would fancy us against anybody, even the all blacks.
After reading this I have decided to take several months sabbatical, I need to recharge my batteries and get some strength back.
Cheery chappy
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

iceman_19 - as invited ridicule on the way.
Not the actual deliberations, which are intelligible enough but the very idea that this discussion constitutes a place anyone wants to go. Of course, I'm just as bad for reading and answering, so I'm off to a dark room to lie down for a few hours whilst recovering from my shame.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Iceman

A reasonable discussion IMHO. Although whilst I do not particularly wish to participate in it you have every right to initiate it!
Still keeping the faith!
snipewatson

Post by snipewatson »

iceman_19 wrote:I could well be in a minority, but I quite enjoy the challenge of predicting what the outcome for us will be following the final round of weekend matches - my thoughts are below, but please feel free to amend or ridicule.

1) We lose, without a bonus point. Ulster are top seeds. Saracens will be best runners up assuming they pick up 5 points at home against Connaght. If they do, we get to play Ulster again (3rd time lucky, perhaps), but if Saracens fail to get a bonus point, we will travel to the 2nd seed - probably Toulon, who should win at Glasgow. LIKELY RESULT - Tigers travel to Ravenhill. Again.

2) We lose, with a bonus point. We would be the best runner up and take th 7th seed spot. As described above, this probably means a replay of last year's quarter final, facing Toulon in France. If Glasgow spring a shock, then we would probably play Toulouse or Clermont (most likely Toulouse, owing to their better try tally) in France, as they are both likely to pick up 5 points at the weekend. LIKELY RESULT - Tigers travel to Stade Mayol. Again.

3) We win, with no bonus point (assuming Ulster don't pick up a losing bonus and a try bonus). Ulster would become the best runner up. We could become the top seeds if Toulon fail to win, and Clermont and Toulouse don't pick up winning bonus points. If the French clubs play as predicted (and they probably won't), we will end up with a home quarter final, but as the 4th seed. The likely visitors in this scenario would be Munster, who should beat Edinburgh at home, although Leinster is also a slight possibility. LIKELY RESULT - Tigers host Munster. Party time.

4) We win, with a bonus point. We will be either 1st or 2nd seeds, dependant on whether or not Toulon pick up a try bonus point win in Glasgow. If they don't, we will likely be welcoming are good friends the Saffacens, as 2nd best runners up, to Welford Road. If they do, as they should, then there will be a strong sense of deja vous in a couple of months time as Ulster will come to visit. LIKELY RESULT - Tigers host Ulster. Again.
1 and 4 will not be happening.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

snipewatson wrote:
iceman_19 wrote:I could well be in a minority, but I quite enjoy the challenge of predicting what the outcome for us will be following the final round of weekend matches - my thoughts are below, but please feel free to amend or ridicule.

1 and 4 will not be happening.
We have missed not having the oracle on this forum. :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rdracup »

I see no issue in speculating on possible outcomes... if those who feel they can't look beyond Saturday fine.. no need to take part in discussion.

... and if it is a good win (ie TBP) there is every chance we will have Sarries at home.. otherwise it will be one of the Irish teams.

At this stage however the Home Q-F is the key. April sunshine ... near fully fit squad and Welford Road European atmosphere - can't wait... but I take nothing for granted.
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

Let's not go in to permutations on who or where we play in the semi final, let's
just concentrate on Saturday's game and get the desired result. After all if we win we will get a home tie, and at Welford rosd I would fancy us against anybody, even the all blacks.

Noddy, you better read it again kid. We are merely discussing the quarters....
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

A few things starting to take shape:

Leinster in but will need big favours in order to get a home QF.

Saracens have TBP win today so they are in and now pre-Tigers game jump ahead of us, so we need at least a point to guarantee 7th ranking at worst. We know a no pint loss to Ulster ranks us 8th. Who'd have thought Toulouse only winning 16-6 at Zebre (with one try) 10 minutes from end! That could allow Munster to sneak into a home QF position if they can mount a really big win in their final game…as it stands Toulouse 23 points (17 tries), Munster 18 points (13 tries)...

Going to be an interesting weekend...
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

Unless Toulon can pull off 4 tries in the next 30 minutes then there is a very good chance of us taking the top spot of we win. We would be level on points with Toulon but I expect our try count will take us ahead and then there is only Clermont that can overtake us but they would need a try bonus point and to score 3 more tries than we do. We get the win tonight and we will be looking at 2nd seed at worst :smt003
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MJ Chairman »

My money's on a trip to Clerment
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

Interesting permutations.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

MJ Chairman wrote:My money's on a trip to Clerment
Got to be either them or Toulon now, chances of progressing to semis now slim to none I'd say but I'll live in hope.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Would prefer Toulon over Clermont. Toulon have not been outstanding in the season so far.

Would be the better draw for Tigers.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk