Post by BigMervyn »

cidermark wrote:Can't find a (walking distance) hotel room
Full of Ulstermen (and women) :smt002
G.K
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Ulster

Post by G.K »

Just hope that now we've qualified that there's no complacency next week and that we secure a decent win and a home QF as I think we'd be struggling to win a QF in Ireland, France or even Allianz Park.

Anyway about time we turned the tables on Ulster as I have not forgotten the previous thrashings by them at Ravenhill, hope the team remember too.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Hope Toulouse turn over Saracens today. If we do fail to beat Ulster next week and end up with an away QF I'd be happy to travel to Clermont, Toulon, Toulouse, Munster or Ulster. Anywhere but Allianz (middle of nowhere, running track as a terrace, plastic pitch) Park!
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

MrPartridge wrote:Hope Toulouse turn over Saracens today. If we do fail to beat Ulster next week and end up with an away QF I'd be happy to travel to Clermont, Toulon, Toulouse, Munster or Ulster. Anywhere but Allianz (middle of nowhere, running track as a terrace, plastic pitch) Park!
At the moment, if Tigers and Sarries finished level on points, Sarries would be ahead in the rankings by the virtue of having scored 17 tries to Tigers 16 tries.

A win next week is the only result and it is in Tigers hands.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

BigMervyn wrote:Well done on the qualification.

Your home form is impressive in Europe but our away form is none too shabby either. We've only lost one group game on the road in the last 3 years and that was a narrow loss in Clermont.

I think it's fair to say that both teams have been mostly doing enough to get the job done in this competition so far. Montpellier away was our stand out performance of the season and if we can approach that level of intensity at WR it should be a good one.

Looks as if there's quite a few going over from here. Looking forward to the banter, a few beers and a decent curry.
and a 20-9 loss at Welford road that same year :smt002

It is lining up to be a good one for sure though - hope it's a cracker with the right result!
snipewatson

Post by snipewatson »

It's very unusual to have a fixture like this with both teams qualified. Hope it takes some of the pressure off and it doesn't turn into a turgid negative arm wrestle of a game.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

The pressure is off re qualification, but both sides have to win for the home game advantage, this is going to be a belter and I expect a close game with home advantage tipping it Tigers way.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Tiggerhappy

Post by Tiggerhappy »

Anyone think Toby being dropped by Eng is really bad timing? It's a stupid rule and we need him on top form to compete against Ulster's half backs. Especially as Ben Youngs is playing so poorly
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Yep agreed it should be a cracker and an electric atmosphere next week.

Really hope we play;
15 Tait
14 Benjamin
13 Smith
12 Allen
11 Goneva
10 Flood
9 Youngs
8 Waldrom (Cockers will play JC)
7 Salvi
6 Gibson
5 Kitchener
4 Slater
3 Cole
2 Youngs
1 Ayerza

That team will win in my very humble opinion. :smt003

Still searching for one standing ticket!!
Soggypitch
Cockatrice
Tiger Cub

Post by Cockatrice »

Darc Tiger wrote:Well, you can probably guess by the way SKY have been blowing the Irish trumpet this season. Easy to get a higher opinion of yourself when that lot are gushing about you every week.
Listening to SKY today most of the Irish gushing is about Munster and Leinster so we never get ahead of ourselves.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Cockatrice wrote:
Darc Tiger wrote:Well, you can probably guess by the way SKY have been blowing the Irish trumpet this season. Easy to get a higher opinion of yourself when that lot are gushing about you every week.
Listening to SKY today most of the Irish gushing is about Munster and Leinster so we never get ahead of ourselves.
Yeah okay, I'll give you that. Does get a bit ridiculous.
Cockatrice
Tiger Cub

Post by Cockatrice »

Darc Tiger wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:
Yep... Seemingly we're the third best team in Ireland and 16/1 to win the HEC yet I bet there ain't another side in the competition that would want to play us at Ravenhill in the QF.
snipewatson

Post by snipewatson »

Darc Tiger wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:
Leinster have been arguably the best team in Europe for 4 or 5 seasons, but Munster are an interesting case and I think this is where the fawning comes from. Munster currently have a fairly ordinary team by Munster standards. They came to Ravenhill two weeks ago and were comfortably the second best side. Their success with the driving maul gave them two tries that flattered them on the score sheet, but Ulster still won by 10. When it comes to Europe, someone sprinkles fairy dust on the Munster team as they raise their game to such an extent that it defies logic. I’m sure you all remember that horrible wet and windy day at WR when Tigers beat Munster in every conceivable aspect except on the scoreboard with O’Gara kicking the winner from half way. That kind of herculean effort defies logic to me. The whole is so much greater than the sum of its parts.
It sticks in my throat to say this about Munster by the way.

Both Ulster and Tigers need to raise their games next week. If either team play the way they did this weekend. They will be going to Toulon or Toulouse in the quarters.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

snipewatson wrote:I’m sure you all remember that horrible wet and windy day at WR when Tigers beat Munster in every conceivable aspect except on the scoreboard with O’Gara kicking the winner from half way.
If Farmer Julian had kept his gob shut, the ref wouldn't have marched the kick forward 10m and it would have been just outside ROG's range. Mind you, the return match was sweet.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Wouldn't have smith starting at 13, would leave goneva they Allen will create stability, Flood was passing on the ball a lot more to goneva, like a 10 would to a 12, allen will take more players on also defensibly Allen is a field general and will organise his D.

and would have Morris still on the wing he take pressure of Tait esp in the air, Ulster love they Cross field kicks and high up and unders.

and I would have Crane starting he played well when he came on he isn't the big ball carrier, but if Slater, Kitchener and OTY are there it won't matter as much, Crane adds more stability imo. and Waldrom adds more Impact of the bench than Crane esp if it breaks down.

Hopefully flood can kick 100% as he hasn't kicked the last 2 games.

Mele - YBY is a tough one it will be Youngs due to Big game experience, but hopefully Mele will come on at 55-60 min mark if Youngs isn't 100%.