Visiting Welford Road

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Visiting Welford Road

Post by tigerburnie »

I visit quite a few of our rivals websites and am now being asked questions that I have no answers to about visiting Leicester(as I now live in Scotland and I'm out of touch).
We have a thread for pubs/restuarants pre game, can we gather info for Hotels and B&B's etc for those visiting and wanting to stay overnight?
Also travelling from East Mids/ Brum airports, the question is train or bus?
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Rizzo

Re: Visiting Welford Road

Post by Rizzo »

I am adding the Club's "Getting Here" information link to this and making it sticky.

please do add any recommended hotels, B&:censored: and any other information APART from pub/drinking ones. There is a separate thread for pub recommendations.

http://www.leicestertigers.com/tickets/getting_here.php
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
neill_m

Post by neill_m »

Hello,

How long before ko does the ground open? 2hrs?

Thanks

Neill
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Gates usually open 2 hours before kick off
Demelza - another Mother
Cockatrice
Tiger Cub

Post by Cockatrice »

Where can I get a decent curry? How long should I leave to walk to ground from city centre disabled with drink?
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Tigerburnie don't despair a good friend of mine a life long tiger fan lives in Edinburgh and manages to travel down using his season ticket & try line club membership for most games. So if you want I can put you in touch with him.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Cockatrice wrote:Where can I get a decent curry? How long should I leave to walk to ground from city centre disabled with drink?

Not knowing how fast you walk, even in drink, and whereabouts you'd be in the city centre, it's hard to estimate for sure but I would allow about half an hour myself. (It takes me a long time because of arthritis & health issues).

For a curry I can recommend the Raj Mahal on Aylestone Road (a way out of town but very good) I rarely eat in town so not sure but people seem to like the Tiffin on De Montfort Street although I'm told it is expensive, and there's also the Taj Mahal on Highfield Street up from the station which was fine last time we went there.
Demelza - another Mother
Cockatrice
Tiger Cub

Post by Cockatrice »

Thanks Rizzo any restrictions on flying flegs as it is a national pass time for us Ulstermen? :smt002
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

I doubt any city centre pub would let you in flying flags (or even flegs) especially if they're on sticks/poles - you could get away with carrying them if just folded up without a stick but I don't know from experience. I have no idea if you could take them into a curry house, they'd probably ask you to put them with the coats or something :smt002
Demelza - another Mother
Cockatrice
Tiger Cub

Post by Cockatrice »

We have just had an US envoy spend months here trying to sort out our fleg problem even he can't tell me where I can and can't fly my fleg. If I go eating I can always fly it from a lamppost outside and make myself feel at home
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Noddy555 wrote:Tigerburnie don't despair a good friend of mine a life long tiger fan lives in Edinburgh and manages to travel down using his season ticket & try line club membership for most games. So if you want I can put you in touch with him.

What's his normal mode of travel Noddy? I did the journey once this year, flew down with Flybe in the morning and got the last train back. Reasonably cheap if you book in advance (£30 flight £38 train). The flight timing used to be good as it left just after ten, so with the bus I was in Leicester for about half twelve, but the schedule has changed now and it's a 7.10 flight, so next season it might be train both ways for the Saturday. Sundays now look a better option as there's a mid morning flight and then a flight back in the evening too.

I'll only do it a couple of times a season because of money unfortunately. This season had the bonus of an away game in Newcastle though, and it looks like they'll still be there next year too.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I travel by train from High Wycombe to Leicester via Birmingham. Used to travel via London, but the former is much cheaper.