Transfer Rumours Thread 2013/2014 Season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

bc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Transfer Rumours Thread 2013/2014 Season

Post by bc »

One name of not heard mentioned but IMHO is superb know he has is head sorted is Cipriani if Flood goes.

He has buckled down, is only 26 and has bags of talent - Tigers would be a superb environment for him.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Beattie would be an excellent singing, would be a worthy replacement if the tank is leaving, Cipriani for me would be more miss than hit for me, Tigers don't need a damaged goods type fly half, I still think Priestland would be a good replacement if Floody leaves, he has some rough edges that could be ironed out under the tigers umbrella.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Here's an interesting thought:

Sign Burns (possibly Cipriani) to play fly half.
Assuming Allen leaves, hang onto Flood but play him at inside centre, (With Manu outside) which I still see as his best position and might give him a chance of making the England starting berth again.
hang onto Goneva but play him on the wing where his attacking skills can still be used without the defensive risk when he plays as a centre.
Tait returns although Morris and Sculley are more than adequate replacements.

It would give us a set of backs to scare the pants off most opposition sides.
The front two rows are world class.
If we get to sign Matera we would then have him, Salvi, Mafi and Croft to mix and match on the flanks.

Just a rumbling beast of a No8 to find.

Just the salary cap to spoil that dream....
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

Beattie added in.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Johnnie Beattie would be a better signing than Denton in my opinion
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

Agreed kpj - though I wouldn't say no to either.

Beattie was mentioned on the Rugby banter page asif he was a done deal - not sure if this is just a "scottish number 8" situation - much like the "a prop from Perpignan" situation where Taofifenua was rumoured to be on his way.
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

Does anyone know when Cipriani is out of contract at Sale? I have a feeling he has another year to run. Might be interesting if Wilkinson opts for another year at Toulon. Why don't we give Toby a one year extension on his contract which would all but take him up to the world cup? This would then allow Toby to talk to Toulon when Wilkinson does retire, Toby wouldn't miss out on the WC squad but would still have a good few years left to play in France and us to potentially go after Cips if he continues on his promising development.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Will S wrote:Does anyone know when Cipriani is out of contract at Sale? I have a feeling he has another year to run. Might be interesting if Wilkinson opts for another year at Toulon. Why don't we give Toby a one year extension on his contract which would all but take him up to the world cup? This would then allow Toby to talk to Toulon when Wilkinson does retire, Toby wouldn't miss out on the WC squad but would still have a good few years left to play in France and us to potentially go after Cips if he continues on his promising development.
Good points, but I would be amazed if Tigers agreed only a 1 year contract with Floody as I suggest that would be more beneficial for Toby than the club who have to plan for the longer term?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Will S wrote:Why don't we give Toby a one year extension on his contract which would all but take him up to the world cup?
I very much doubt he'd accept it. He's 28 years old and I would guess is looking for two more 3-year contracts at the most before retiring to become a lawyer.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Even if Toulon doesn't sign Toby im sure Toulouse, Clermont and Castres will still be after his signature
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

BJ. wrote:
Will S wrote:Why don't we give Toby a one year extension on his contract which would all but take him up to the world cup?
I very much doubt he'd accept it. He's 28 years old and I would guess is looking for two more 3-year contracts at the most before retiring to become a lawyer.

Really?

I'd have thought a 1 year extension would be up his street as he'd get to play in the RWC, Tigers get more time to plan with him and then he can roll into a nice pension topper?

Or would you believe if he were to stay at Tigers it would be a longer term stay than a year?
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

kornboy130 wrote:Or would you believe if he were to stay at Tigers it would be a longer term stay than a year?
In a nutshell, yes. Personally I don't think a 1-year contract would be of much use to either Toby or Leicester as it will only delay the inevitable and probably lower his worth if he goes looking abroad a year later.

He needs a definitive answer from Stuart Lancaster as to where he fits into the England set-up. If it's nothing more than as a utility 10/12 bencher warmer, then Toby needs to know asap. I strongly believe Toby Flood is a straight-up guy and, as he mentioned in a recent interview, is fully aware it is not just his career and livelihood that will be effected by his decision.

I do not want to see him leave Welford Road but I fear he will be announcing his departure in the New Year.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

A factor you have to take into consideration is who is available to replace Flood, this year Burns and Priestland are two big names out of contract. Next year there may or may not be players like this available to sign and I'm sure the club will take this into consideration. Come to think of it a one year contract could be a positive. No Southern Hemisphere players on the verge of their national team will leave super rugby before the World Cup, if Flood signs a one year contract we would have an opening after the World Cup and could potentially tempt a Nick Evans type player to sign. Obviously I don't want Flood to leave but if we were to lose him we need a top class 10 to replace him, and it's questionable whether Burns or Priestland are that player just yet.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

BJ. wrote:He needs a definitive answer from Stuart Lancaster as to where he fits into the England set-up. If it's nothing more than as a utility 10/12 bencher warmer, then Toby needs to know asap. I strongly believe Toby Flood is a straight-up guy and, as he mentioned in a recent interview, is fully aware it is not just his career and livelihood that will be effected by his decision.

I do not want to see him leave Welford Road but I fear he will be announcing his departure in the New Year.
I agree with BJ on all points here.

:smt023
Still keeping the faith!
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

I too agree with BJ.

Toby cannot consider who might be available to fill his role either in January, or after another year - it is his future to consider in light of his England expectations, and his earning capabilities (which will have taken a hit this summer!) with a contract elsewhere.

To pick up on an earlier poster's point, why on earth would he want to play 12 for Tigers? Why would Cockers and Cohen want to pay him to do that when Bowden and probably Allen will continue to wear that shirt with distinction?

I hope he stays, but I too fear we will lose him.

I do wonder, however, if all of Cocker's chat about Burns may be a bit of a smokescreen for someone from France or the Southern Hemisphere? Burns has not yet shown he could successfully guide a Cup winning team.
Valhalla I am coming!