What is it with young women and mobile phones?

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BJ.
Super User
Super User

What is it with young women and mobile phones?

Post by BJ. »

I first used a mobile phone in 1990 and I fully appreciate just how important and useful they can be. However, the modern trend for people (mainly young women) to walk along, constantly gazing at the phone prominently clutched in their hand, baffles me. I get sick and tired of having to take avoiding action because these people aren't looking where they're going.

Earlier this morning, I watched a young woman walking two dogs on separate leads. One was held in her left hand whilst the other lead was looped over her right wrist as she was holding her phone with her right hand. She paid little attention to the dogs and had minimal control over them as she was too engrossed in her phone.

Could someone please explain to me why they do this? Is it so crucial to be constantly checking the phone in case a call, email or text message comes in? If I receive any of these whilst I'm out walking, I take my phone out of my pocket and answer it - I do not wander round with it clasped in my hand, advertising to all and sundry that I have a mobile phone.

I wonder how many people have had their phones stolen by opportunist thieves coming up behind them, grabbing the device and legging it.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Rizzo

Re: What is it with young women and mobile phones?

Post by Rizzo »

May I observe it's not just young women....young men equally glued to their mobiles. I watched a lad (student age) walk round from Southgates as I drove slowly round the corner heading into the car park at lunchtime today. He had earphones in, and was talking to himself - so he was either having a phone conversation or singing along with music. Whichever it was, he was oblivious, walked right out across the entrance to the car park without stopping or glancing round. Only the reaction speed of the chap in the van in front of me stopped an accident.

In Leicester city centre there has been an increase in people having phones snatched by someone (often on a bike) as they walk along talking on their mobile. Particularly as it's getting dark earlier, it's asking for trouble to have a phone in your hand and not pay attention to things around you as you walk.

Mobiles are a useful tool to have, for many things, but I do despair of those who seem permanently glued to them whatever the situation. The Other Half and I went out for coffee last weekend and watched a couple on the next table both on their phones the whole time, not even conversing or looking at each other. Sad.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

I think this exemplifies exactly what I'm talking about. I haven't stopped laughing since I first read it half an hour ago.
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

There now. Feathers smoothed.
Last edited by Isambard on Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

If you don't want to take part in discussions or threads, please don't post just to be rude to others who do.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

I have lost count of the number of times I have taken evasive action to avoid a mobile phone user when walking along the pavement. Today for the third time, I had to do the same whilst in the car to avoid a head-on collision with a person texting whilst driving.

:smt013
Valhalla I am coming!
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

Terrible terrible.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Re mobile phones, as an old codger whose been using them for the last 25 years, the thing I like about them is the Texting function. But it takes me ages to send a text as I refuse to use text shorthand like gr8 or tomoz, or CU. Use proper English for god's sake, or perhaps you don't speak it?
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Noddy555 wrote:Re mobile phones, as an old codger whose been using them for the last 25 years, the thing I like about them is the Texting function. But it takes me ages to send a text as I refuse to use text shorthand like gr8 or tomoz, or CU. Use proper English for god's sake, or perhaps you don't speak it?
After many discussions with teenage/younger users of such phones I can assure you Noddy the reason such shorthand is used is not so much speed as that they can't actually spell the many of the words and have only the haziest concept of sentence construction and grammar.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Thank you Dicky for making that clear, having been a teacher at a college of further education, I often bemoaned the lack of reading,writing and maths skills of 16 year olds straight from school. Even those with supposedly good grades at O level.
old one eye
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by old one eye »

Mrs One eye walked off the sea wall at Cromer in 1964 aged 8 whilst taking photographs on a box brownie camera.

The kids of today have not invented stupidity.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

old one eye wrote:The kids of today have not invented stupidity.
True but some of them seem to be getting it down to a fine art.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

BJ. wrote:
old one eye wrote:The kids of today have not invented stupidity.
True but some of them seem to be getting it down to a fine art.
Also agreed - but fair's fair - must give them full marks for effort! :smt023
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Last night, in the dark I narrowly avoided a head- down texting young man who had the added advantage of his wearing huge earphones. (I have also seen cyclists on unlit bicycles on unlit roads texting and wearing earphones.)
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Old Hob wrote:Last night, in the dark I narrowly avoided a head- down texting young man who had the added advantage of his wearing huge earphones. (I have also seen cyclists on unlit bicycles on unlit roads texting and wearing earphones.)
Actually bikes are another topic which probably irks me even more! I am a cyclist and do three things which set me aside from most other cyclists:

1. I use lights, front and back, after dark.
2. I only cycle on designated cycle paths, otherwise on roads.
3. I stop at traffic lights and pedestrian crossings.

One other thing that sets me apart from the fanatical fringe is that I refuse to wear lycra!!

It is very difficult to get drivers to heed cyclists when virtually without exception cyclists pay no heed to the rules of the road or to others.

In counting cyclists when driving to and from work over a three year period I found consistently that about 85% had no lights whatsoever, 7% had either a front or rear light, and just 8% had front and rear lights. Of course, it may have been worse as without lights I may well have missed other cyclists in the dark.