Re: Goneva leaving to France (MO Claim)
Where is it confirmed?
Still just rumours on Twitter that we're picked up from MO
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

Regarding Marland Yarde my understanding down this way is that he has already signed up for Bath Rugby.

With regard to Niki Goneva leaving I will say lets just wait & see before jumping up & down about it.
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Thanks Tigerlad - your comments on 'squad depth' made me feel much better.

However, I do feel if Goneva goes our overall strength is being gradually eroded.
George North (with 1 try in 8 apps, world class my backside)
Sorry - but I was a fan before he signed for Saints and I'll judge him after the 6N and at the end of the season. Bar Manu, I'd swop him for any of our current backline.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

So if true WHY has Yarde signed for Bath and not Tigers..

Was it he wasnt even approached because he is a current International and therefore unavailable BECAUSE if thats true, then all we will end up with is a load of former quick journeymen and occasionally a wannabee South Sea Islander.

The Bar is being raised across the Premiership and I am not overly convinced the stubborn and pragmatic mindsets operated from within the Tigers stronghold can carry us on as the ''ultimate'' English Team-----------unless Sir Clive can manipulate a few of the Board and RC.....????

Of course it may well be that a couple of back to back victories over Montpellier and a resurgence in the AP might re-ignite some positiveness, but if it goes against us, it will be a long way back, for this season and beyond.

Just look at Biarritz. They hung on to their laurels for far too long...
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

fortysix wrote:So if true WHY has Yarde signed for Bath and not Tigers...
There's a fair chance it's because Watson, Joseph and Sisi are there and he knows them all from his academy days.

Wonder how much longer the likes of Low, Homer and Guy Armitage will stick around.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Yarde to bath isn't a done deal.

I believe though the papers were talking about in the off season so Tigers wouldn't have know about goneva, then.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

fortysix wrote:So if true WHY has Yarde signed for Bath and not Tigers..
Because we don't have a god given right to any player we take a fancy to? The rumour is that Bath have had a deal in for Yarde since last year. That and a variety of cap and squad balance issues dependent on individual clubs.
fortysix wrote: Was it he wasnt even approached because he is a current International and therefore unavailable BECAUSE if thats true, then all we will end up with is a load of former quick journeymen and occasionally a wannabee South Sea Islander.
Or we end up with a raft of international players with a squad to back them up like now. We're all worried about the results recently - which are in no small part down to the international periods and call ups we're subject to. Signing more international players is extremely expensive as they are at their highest market rate and they are unavailable for large periods of the season.

There is a significant logic in not signing anymore test players when you're in double figures of players lost during international periods as it stands. That and winger isn't a priority position when we could invest in more influential positions.
fortysix wrote: The Bar is being raised across the Premiership and I am not overly convinced the stubborn and pragmatic mindsets operated from within the Tigers stronghold can carry us on as the ''ultimate'' English Team-----------unless Sir Clive can manipulate a few of the Board and RC.....????
How is Yarde moving from one Prem club to another the Premiership raising the bar? Let's not get silly - this group of coaches (near enough) brought us the Premiership last season - why doubt them after a couple of shakey matches in the middle of an availability crisis?
fortysix wrote: Of course it may well be that a couple of back to back victories over Montpellier and a resurgence in the AP might re-ignite some positiveness, but if it goes against us, it will be a long way back, for this season and beyond.
The resurgence in the AP always tends to come when we have players back - RWC year, or last year for examples. Europe, I do agree, may be a different proposition given the injuries we have and the strength of Montpellier's squad.
fortysix wrote: Just look at Biarritz. They hung on to their laurels for far too long...
Not a particularly relevant example - the huge amount of backroom upheaval is at the heart of Biarritz's demise - there aren't many correlations between the two clubs other than they have ruch histories.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

We're doomed I tell ye....................doomed
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Chunter
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Chunter »

-unless Sir Clive can manipulate a few of the Board and RC...
Sir Clive isn't standing for re-election to the board at the AGM.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote="Chunter"][quote]-unless Sir Clive can manipulate a few of the Board and RC...[/quote]

Sir Clive isn't standing for re-election to the board at the AGM.[/quote]

At a recent televised Bath v Glaws game, I noticed SCW was looking very relaxed and cosy with Bruce Craig. Pure speculation, but maybe he is heading back in that direction.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

Sharples linked on a couple of forums.

Still think we're over-loaded at wing though.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Kornboy will we still be overloaded if Hamilton retires, Camacho gets the deal in France he wanted last summer and Goneva is poached by a big French side.

Thompstone and Benjamin will need contract renewals as well.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

kornboy130 wrote:Sharples linked on a couple of forums.
Think I started that one on shedweb..............................
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

sam16111986 wrote:Kornboy will we still be overloaded if Hamilton retires, Camacho gets the deal in France he wanted last summer and Goneva is poached by a big French side.

Thompstone and Benjamin will need contract renewals as well.
Both Hamilton and Camacho are under-contract for next year. Not sure why you suggest he wanted a move to France - he no doubt could have engineered one as Argentina's starting winger at the time.

Benjamin will now represent good value having gone from Saxons regular to scraping back from a career threatening injury so I'd largely expect us to re-sign him, perhaps on a pay cut.

I had forgotten Thompstone will be out of contract though - well observed - but he's another I'd suggest is unlikely to go given how he's gone from injury ridden to 1st team regular (though he will of course require a pay rise).
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

tigerburnie wrote:
kornboy130 wrote:Sharples linked on a couple of forums.
Think I started that one on shedweb..............................
It's cropping up a few places aside from your cheeky foray into ShedWeb (which I did enjoy).

At the rate things are going I'll set up the transfer rumours thread later today.