Charity collection outside the Crumbie - Genuine or Bogus?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Charity collection outside the Crumbie - Genuine or Bogus?

Post by Tyzot »

There was a woman in a Tigers shirt claiming to collect for the Police Bereavement Fund yesterday, outside the Crumbie Terrace just before the gates opened. As you would expect, the first people she approached made donations

However:

She had no charity authorisation or official Id. although she did offer personal Id. when challenged

Was collecting using a plastic policemens helmet shaped box, inside a white cardboard box with a hand written sign.

Claimed that there was something in the programme (I couldn't find it at the time)

As a result the Supervising Steward was called and she spoke to the woman and radioed someone else.
Does anyone know what happened next? I would like to know if she was a well intentioned but unauthorised collector or a fraudster?
Rizzo

Re: Charity collection outside the Crumbie - Genuine or Bogu

Post by Rizzo »

This was raised last season and I link the discussion below

http://forum.leicestertigers.com/viewto ... it=charity

I also quote the reply emailed in response to BJ querying the "charity collectors"

Thank you for your email and making us aware of the situation on Sunday.

I am sorry to say that these collectors did not have the permission of the club to be onsite and we have, at games before Christmas, asked them to leave the ground. I have made enquires to the charity to see if they can confirm if they are genuine collectors but to date have received no response.

We will certainly keep an eye out for them at the next game and would ask any supporters not to donate if they do not have an official pass from the club. We have three official charities each season which we support in various ways including selected games where they would be able to sell wristbands etc. This year our chosen charities are The Matt Hampson Foundation, Steps and CDKL5 UK.

Once again thank you for your email and if you should notice these people inside the ground again please speak to the nearest steward or staff member.

ERGO if they do not have an official Club pass, DO NOT DONATE and report them immediately to the stewards.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

It was stated at the start of the season the Tigers have three official charities for 2013/14, i.e. the Matt Hampson Foundation, The Royal Air Forces Association and Scotty's Little Helpers (see here).

The collector you saw yesterday sounds very dubious with the Tigers shirt, handwritten sign and plastic helmet. The fact she had no ID from the club means quite simply she was not authorised to be there. It's easy to say with hindsight but it's a pity you didn't clock any of her details from the personal ID she offered: my bet would be that was bogus as well.

Anyway, well spotted and, if we all stay vigilant and are not afraid to question them, hopefully we get rid of all these shysters and all charitable donations will go where they should.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tyzot »

With hindsight, the only other thing I should have done is to take a photo of the woman with my iphone.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

..."Something in the programme"

Page 59 Matchball experience policeconstables.org is all I can find. It does not say they will be collecting, though.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

She was schmoozing outside gates 31-4 then started collecting. Saw some people give money, the schmoozing was obviously a softener. Said to Mrs G it was worth remembering her face - blonde coloured hair just over shoulder length, late 30s, chubby - as I thought it a scam.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
pipkoi

Post by pipkoi »

They were also outside the gates where the ambulance goes in & out (or maybe a bit before that) young lad & girl.
Pip
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Rizzo - I fully remember the last time this came up and I was so cross that I emailed the club about putting out an announcement before the game and at half time asking all members not to donate to any charity collectors outside or inside the ground if they were not one of the 3 the club supports officially. I have not heard any announcement! Are your contacts any better than mine? If they did that for the next 3 home games - supporters who do not read the forum would be made aware of what is a despicable scam. I am sorry but I don't care if they are official collectors from an official charity or not - they should not be there, inside or outside the ground and the sooner they are stopped the better. They are in fact taking money from our official charities.
Hehehehehehehehe
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

I have brought this thread to the attention of the club.
Demelza - another Mother
cidermark
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by cidermark »

Hi Rizzo, I know that, for the next match, it will probably be too late for a lot of people who buy their programmes inside the ground, but would it be an idea to place a small advisory to the supporters in the programme?

Not just to affirm who the official charities are but, also, what to do if supporters feel intimidated by collectors outside the ground or if they suspect that they are bogus collectors?
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

It's being discussed by the club as to how to address this, including the possibility of a piece in the programme.
Demelza - another Mother
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Alternatively, the club could erect four banners (one on each external corner of the stadium) saying something along the lines of "Beware of bogus charity collectors around Welford Road. If in doubt, ask for their official Tigers ID or report them to the nearest steward."

Hopefully, this would eventually deter the shysters from coming to the ground.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

BJ. wrote:Alternatively, the club could erect four banners (one on each external corner of the stadium) saying something along the lines of "Beware of bogus charity collectors around Welford Road. If in doubt, ask for their official Tigers ID or report them to the nearest steward."

Hopefully, this would eventually deter the shysters from coming to the ground.
Well advised, that man. Mrs G and I have already agreed to challenge next time instead of just muttering.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

I just never respond to people with buckets.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

pipkoi wrote:They were also outside the gates where the ambulance goes in & out (or maybe a bit before that) young lad & girl.
This sounds like it might be the same couple who were working the Final Whistle bar after Deac's testimonial match last season.

Let's look on the bright side. At least the clown who used to stand on Aylestone Road by the Clubhouse/Crumbie corner is no longer there.