Brailsford on team environments

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Brailsford on team environments

Post by kend »

I thought the forum might be interested in a quote from Dave Brailsford on competitive team environments:
But the question of personal relationships does not bother Brailsford, who accepts that his teams are not comfortable places to work, and says that having the entire team lined up behind a common objective – "goal harmony" is the jargon he uses – is all that matters.

"People talk about having team unity and team harmony; I don't buy that at all. Most of the best teams I've been with are not harmonious environments. This is not a harmonious environment. This is a gritty environment where people are pushing really hard."
I assume Tigers is much the same. Perhaps that puts Castro's comments about the club in perspective?
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: Brailsford on team environments

Post by 1966 »

I have always used the four stages of team development as described by Tuckman when assessing team development; forming, storming, norming and performing.

This has always provided me with a basic understanding of where a team is at, where it should be moving to, and the relevant management style needed in order to help the team develop.

The storming stage is the one some often avoid but is critical to team development as it brings issues to the surface that have to be addressed in order for the team to maximise its potential.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Tuckman's outdated American view is often what is wrong with teams. Norming often does not translate into anything but timidity and complacency, a failure to embrace conflict as a force for good, self-limiting and self-editing behaviour.

Brailsford is better; what matters in team relationships is not liking but respect.

In the workplace "Teamwork" is almost a happy-clappy panacea; a "God, Mom and apple-pie" statement yet large numbers of people don't actually work in anything like a team just as a collection of individuals (teachers, lawyers, many craftsmen, and others)and yet are forced into artificial teams because they are a "good thing". As for those who are in teams and should be the negative effects of teams very often far outweigh any positives.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
jack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jack »

When I did a bit of supply teaching towards the end of my career it was always the disfuntional places had signs about "No I in team" etc. The best place where they truly worked as a team, giving each other plenty of support, never even mentioned such slogans. They just did it!
I usually detest managementspeak.
Tigers - true Champions!
Alatoruk

Post by Alatoruk »

no 'I' in team, but there is a 'me'...........
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Many of the comments made are based on 'old' thinking. Current views on effective and high performing teams have moved on substantilly since Tuckman (not forgetting the final stage Tuckman identifieds 'Mourning' - possibly the effect of losing Murphy). Lencioni (a current thinker), relates high team performance as a step by step transition. The foundation is Trust followed by Effective Conflict Resolution, Commitment, Accountability and finally Attention to Results. Surely this epitomises the current situation of the new season's team. Success or otherwise will depend on the level of trust throughout the team before consideration of results can even be contemplated.
Valhalla I am coming!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Blimey, Fleabane and I are unanimous, excellent. Coo-er missus, perhaps we're a team :smt002
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

1966 wrote:I have always used the four stages of team development as described by Tuckman when assessing team development; forming, storming, norming and performing.
Storming Norming! Now there's a blast from the past.
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

Together
Everyone
Achieves
More

What a wonderful statement :smt003
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

Brailsford is better; what matters in team relationships is not liking but respect.
I'm not sure that is what Brailsford is saying - his point is the only thing that matters in high performance teams is the common objective; personal relationships (so 'like', 'respect' or even 'trust') are irrelevant. The only thing that matters is the performance. The consequence of that is quite likely to be some fallout (so Wiggins and Froome go public with their conflict over leadership of the sky team or Castro's statements about Cockers and Cohen). The principles of 'good people-management' that might operate in a business setting don't seem to apply to Brailsford's teams.

In fact I suspect there are few parallels between most business environments and what goes on in a professional sports team. Not many of us will work constantly in competition with our colleagues; if you think about it they are constantly engaged in a 'zero-sum game' for positions.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I don't think your analysis of zero-sum games works, either. Dan Cole is not in any way in competition with Toby Flood. And whatever Brailsford says, respect IS the key; add to that:- listen to new ideas, challenge your own prejudices and other stuff in similar vein is what makes real teams work in life-critical situations. Teams that don't do this "get away with it"
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Here's another take on team dynamics - the England cricket team using the MBTI personality test! (I'd love to know how KP came out!).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricke ... gland.html
Valhalla I am coming!
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

jack wrote:When I did a bit of supply teaching towards the end of my career it was always the dysfunctional places had signs about "No I in team" etc. The best place where they truly worked as a team, giving each other plenty of support, never even mentioned such slogans. They just did it!
I usually detest management speak.
I couldn't agree more - my heart would sink when a senior manager said "our people are our greatest resource" - people aren't just another resource. And if they were so important why did said management always follow by putting in place a performance management system which did nothing for their company but merely set staff members competing against each other to meet artificial targets unrelated to what their job really required.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

fleabane wrote:Here's another take on team dynamics - the England cricket team using the MBTI personality test! (I'd love to know how KP came out!).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricke ... gland.html
Cricket is not a typical team game. Most of it is individual.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Disagree about cricket not being a team game - evidence England after the KP texting fiasco, Aussies now, and any team riding a wave, the effect of early Olympic golds, etc.
Team dynamics are a critical part of cricket, as with other sports.
Valhalla I am coming!