Andy Murray - perfect timing?

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BJ.
Super User
Super User

Andy Murray - perfect timing?

Post by BJ. »

From the Beeb

To a cynical old sod like myself, this smacks of nothing more than trying to get the country on his side before the fortnight yawnfest that is Wimbledon.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Andy Murray - perfect timing?

Post by Darc Tiger »

The documentary last night was actually really good, and I think it is good the Beeb are doing their best to build his image. Especially as the media have a tendency to stitch him up ever since that bit of banter with Henman over the football.

The amount of stick he gets is frankly disgusting to me, considering he is one of the best athletes on the planet, consistently mixing it with the greats of the sport. And mainly just because he isn't all smiles and sunshine in front of the camera.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I wouldn't say he was one of the best athletes, he really struggled yesterday, if he can't win this year with most of the opposition already out, he probably never will win it.
He's the best we've had for a long time, but he isn't convincing yet, hope he wins it, but he seems to be out of condition to me.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

He isn't. He just tends to look knackered during most of his matches, but that's just how he looks on court. :smt005 Not in top gear yet, but still hasn't dropped a set, and comfortably better than everyone he has come up against so far when he gets in his stride. On grass I think only Djokovic can stop him. A few danger men left, but only Janowicz in Murray's half of the draw.

Personally, I think top tennis players are among the best athletes in the world. The level of fitness you need is ridiculous. Both in the short term, where they can end up on court for hours every other day (or more), and in the long term, as the tour schedule is long, and brutal. And then combining it with the technical skillset needed. They are amazing specimens.

I think some people, who perhaps don't follow the tennis particularly closely, can under-appreciate Murray a bit. I think when he retires, people will find out just how special a talent he is.
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

His fitness levels looked fine in the 5th set yesterday.
He really has improved in the last 2-3 years and while still just behind Novak he is number 2 in the world for a reason.
The main bit for me is that at times he needs to be slightly more aggressive in shot selection, this too has improved since Lendl started to coach him.
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

He showed a lot of courage and tenacity to come from 2-0 down, but he was so tired he couldn't get his first serves in and was showing signs of slowing down round the court. If his recovery is good he should be ok for tomorrow, he's still young and not yet at his physical peak, but still a bit to go for me before he becomes a great athlete.He is already a greater tennis player than we've had since Noah was a lad, his new coach is making some good progress with him.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Played very well against the local lad tonight :smt002 :smt002
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Tricky one that. Janowicz has a hell of an arm. Murray played a clever and patient game to get that win. Served excellently in reply too. Has one massive hurdle left in Djokovic. Is it his year?

And I say anyone doubting top tennis players as some of the greatest athletes needs only to look at the Djokovic vs Del Potro semi-final. A wonderful exhibition and physical, technical and mental strength.
Maximus66

Post by Maximus66 »

After Andy Murray's wonderful win today, I'd say modern tennis is truly all about supreme fitness, athleticism and mental strength.

To beat a player as talented as Novak Djokovic on a boiling hot centre court, in three straight sets took a lot of determination and a considerable amount of flair of his own :smt038
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

:smt040
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

And let us not forget that the VERY LUCKY miss Bartoli nicked a Women's title without facing an opponent from the Top 10! :smt026

Cock-a-doodle-doo! :smt026
Nemo auditur propriam turpitudinem allegans
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Very proud. In the last twelve months he's won the US Open, the Olympics, Wimbledon and been runner up at the Australian open. No one else has done so much in that time period.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

After watching snippets of Wimbledon, I've decided top-flight footballers are no longer the most pampered sports people out there - tennis players are.

I cringed every time I saw one of the ballboys/girls, a) run up to a player, offering a towel to wipe their sweaty brow, b) fetch a drink for them between games or, and worst of all, c) subserviently hold an umbrella over them between matches to shield them from the sun.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

I heard that joke somewhere the other day; 'want to feel like a tennis player? Wipe your brow unnecessarily with a towel every so often then hurl it at a small child.'