So what's the Lions XV for Saturday? Read the runes.....

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Re: So what's the Lions XV for Saturday? Read the runes.....

Post by kornboy130 »

jgriffin wrote:I wasn't asking what people would pick, but suggesting that largely the side is what some of us expected, probably only the insertion of Vunipola and Croft the surprises, and one of those due to injury, the other to sheer class. I put Hibbard in as I thought Gatland would go for sheer weight in the first test. I still think this side is not the best, and I dread Sexton being taken out in the first 20 au Toby vs Stains, but I am expecting it especially with a SH ref for the first two tests.
I'd wager you'll see:

1.Vunipola
2.Youngs
3.Jones
4.Wyn-Jones
5.O'Connell
6.Croft
7.Warburton
8.Heaslip
9.Philips
10.Sexton
11.Zebo
12.Davies
13.O'Driscoll
14.Cuthbert
15.Halfpenny

16.Hibbard
17.Cole
18.Corbisiero
19.Parling - Gray
20.O'Brien - Tipuric
21.Youngs - Murray
22.Farrell
23.Maitland - Kearney

The 2nd names on some bench positions are players who may well (imo) force their way in with a good performance against the Brumbies.

We could really do with North, Bowe and Roberts/Tuilagi but we'll have to see how their fitness comes along - you could see some serious fire power added for the 2nd test if that were to be the case.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Can't really disagree with that Kornboy but I still have high hopes that North will be fit and Zebo to the bench. There is also an argument to have Hogg on the bench covering the back 3, he's quick and has played v well this tour.

Playing 10 tomorrow is probably against him though.
Soggypitch
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Still think Hibbard will start to give extra ballast so scrum superiority is established, OTY to come on at 50 or if things go pear-shaped.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

jgriffin wrote:Still think Hibbard will start to give extra ballast so scrum superiority is established, OTY to come on at 50 or if things go pear-shaped.
Before the tour I'd have thought that but looking at the selections I think they may have gone for Youngs' superior throwing(!) as Hibbard has looked markedly shakey in this area - not to mention the nugget of Youngs isn't shakey at the scrum (though not as hot as Hibbard in this area). Parling's involvement from the bench I'd wager is down to his line out prowess.

As for now though, the Brumbies aren't faffing around with their selections.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I have a hunch that if there's any doubt over a selection, it will be a Welshman that gets the nod, I don't trust Gats to be able to pick a team on form, a bit like Slancaster, he will have his favourites.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

tigerburnie wrote:I have a hunch that if there's any doubt over a selection, it will be a Welshman that gets the nod, I don't trust Gats to be able to pick a team on form, a bit like Slancaster, he will have his favourites.
I'm inclined to agree.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Not only am I in agreement with TB and BJ (aaargh what's happening?) but as I posted on the Brumbies thread, I take the view that the XV against the Brumbies were the dead-men-walking. It was a cynical selection based on the view that the Australians have so debased the series that the test XV (to be almost totally Welsh and Irish as we envisaged Gatland's bias initially) would not go near the place.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

jgriffin wrote:Not only am I in agreement with TB and BJ (aaargh what's happening?) but as I posted on the Brumbies thread, I take the view that the XV against the Brumbies were the dead-men-walking. It was a cynical selection based on the view that the Australians have so debased the series that the test XV (to be almost totally Welsh and Irish as we envisaged Gatland's bias initially) would not go near the place.
I too agree (BJ TB JG and I agree - that nust be a first) Not only cynical selection cynical use of call ups.

However he may find it necessary to call in the English (Tigers) Brigade (Cole, T Youngs, Parling, Croft) to secure primary possession.
Still keeping the faith!
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

jgriffin wrote:Not only am I in agreement with TB and BJ (aaargh what's happening?)
It happens to everyone eventually. Just stay away from the dark side, my young Padawan.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Alas I must work in Cardiff, in the shadow of Mordor Stadium, on Thursday and Friday. I shall need all my powers of resistance, especially when having a Brains SA libation or three in the evening.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Evidently George North is fit for Saturday.

Read all about it!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Will Crofty and Vunipola be the only non-'celtic' starters? Petty certain of that now. And also certain that nothing except fate has been allowed to rock the boat of some selections made before the tour - Phillips, AWJ, POC, Halfpenny, North, Sexton etc. Vunipola would not even be on the tour otherwise. Crofty may still not start.
I think you may get poor odds on a wholly Welsh/Irish starting XV for the First Test.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I know Geechs has said he recommended Gats for the job, but when it was announced my interest in this tours evapourated. I am interested how our lads get on and hope they gain from the tour, but the results don't really bother me and I will be fishing on Saturday, not watching the game.
I've tried to get involved in the tour, but call me cynical, but there's more political sheenanigans going on than in the Houses of Parliament to me.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Tigerjackflood

Post by Tigerjackflood »

I really do think that 12 trees should be on bench and not fazza.... He can kick, attack, and play 10,12,13 and steady temperament
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

36 was shown up in the Brumbies game as being not of true international class. Neither, it has to be said is Farrell, but at least he brought some small degree of order to the chaos, and kicked his penalties.
Valhalla I am coming!