So what's the Lions XV for Saturday? Read the runes.....

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

So what's the Lions XV for Saturday? Read the runes.....

Post by jgriffin »

looking at the Tuesday team, the shape of the actual 1st test XV becomes clear.
IMO mostly as long suggested, almost entirely Wales and Ireland. I originally thought Manu, BOD and North were nailed on. Now it seems injury may have put paid to that.
Vunipola
Hibbard
Jones
AWJ
POC
Croft
Warburton
Heaslip
Phillips
Sexton
Maitland
Davies
BOD
ANOther
Halfpenny
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Farmboy

Re: So what's the Lions XV for Saturday? Read the runes.....

Post by Farmboy »

Think OTY may have the 2 as most think Hibbard was a nailed on starter, would you risk injury to a nailed on starter?
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MJ Chairman »

Bit confused about the press logic of starting with Vunipola and not Tom Youngs either they are both impact or they're not also Hibbard is on the bench for Tuesday and you want to keep your starting 15 as fresh as possible. Anyway I would go

Halfpenny North BOD Davies Tuilagi Sexton Phillips.
Vunipola Youngs Jones POC Wyn Jones Drift Warburton Heaslip

Hibbard Corbisero Cole Parling Tiperic Youngs Fazlet Kearney
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

I think/hope TY will get in ahead of Hibbard and I agree with Farmboy that it could be significant that Hibbard is on the bench on Tuesday not TY.

I also have a good feeling that North will be fit.

Don't think Maitland will play, he was poor v NSW yesterday, would expect Zebo to have risen above him in the pecking order after yesterday's respective performances.

You have to say Vunipola has really stepped up on this tour, his scrummaging seems to have improved and it was noticeable that the scrums started to go down when Corbisero came on yesterday - where as normally I would regard him as a more solid scrummager than MV.

Gats certainly seems to like MV and is I think almost a certain starter next week.
Soggypitch
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I think you'll find that they kept collapsing because Corbisero was going to send them back at a 100 miles an hour otherwise, as they did on the one and only opportunity they were allowed to scrum (Dwyer has some nerve to talk about cheating!!)- and Heaslip failed to control it.

Corbisero is a far better scrummager and should start - of course he won't and we will be burned in the first test just as in 2009
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I wasn't asking what people would pick, but suggesting that largely the side is what some of us expected, probably only the insertion of Vunipola and Croft the surprises, and one of those due to injury, the other to sheer class. I put Hibbard in as I thought Gatland would go for sheer weight in the first test. I still think this side is not the best, and I dread Sexton being taken out in the first 20 au Toby vs Stains, but I am expecting it especially with a SH ref for the first two tests.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

mightymouse wrote:I think you'll find that they kept collapsing because Corbisero was going to send them back at a 100 miles an hour otherwise, as they did on the one and only opportunity they were allowed to scrum (Dwyer has some nerve to talk about cheating!!)- and Heaslip failed to control it.
Going back to 2003 the Australians have viewed pushing at scrums to be cheating.
At times they've brainwashed the refs into believing this altered interpretation of reality.

Of course we all want to watch 15 man league played by 11 centres, a fly half and 3 wings/FBs to chase back if there's a long kick. :smt015
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

SCW's selection:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... ralia.html

I am surprised that he omits Manu, but perhaps he is still injured? I would also start Zebo instead of Cuthbert.
Valhalla I am coming!
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

I think it could go something like this

1. Corbs (I think gatland will want scrum dominance from the word go)
2. Youngs
3. Jones
4. AW Jones
5. O'Connell
6. Croft
7. Warburton (C)
8. Heaslip
9. Phillips
10. Sexton
11. Zebo
12. Tuilagi or Davies depending on who is fit
13. BOD
14. North
15. Halfpenny

16. Vunipola
17. Hibbard
18. Cole
19. Parling
20. Faletau
21. Youngs
22. Farrell or Twelvetrees
23. Hogg or Maitland
AidanMcDowell

Post by AidanMcDowell »

Twelvetrees over Farrell? I would absolutely LOVE that but we all know that's never going to happen as long as he's got daddy pulling the strings for him behind the scenes... :smt019
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

I think its a sensible bet, that involved midweek will not be starting the test. In theory, I'd expect those benching wednesday to be favourites over those starting, to earn a test bench spot, based on the fact tyou'd want the test players out of the firing line a bit, but then again, those starting get a bigger chance to do something to catch Gatlands eye. I think the bench spots for front row and ten are nailed on, but at back row, 9 and outside back they could still be up for grabs, maybe Youngs and Hogg, possibly one of the back row could force their way onto the bench. Lock sub could be interesting, I think Parling has been very very good whenever he's been on the field, stolen lineout ball, and put a real shift in around the breakdown/tackle area, but I feel Gray's size and power in the loose could keep him in contention if he delivers Wednesday.
There may be one or two last curve ball selections from Gatland, just to throw the Aussies. Not theoretically what I'd pick, but I'd expect something like this...

Vunipola
Youngs
Jones
Wynn-Jones
O'Connell
Croft
Warburton
Heaslip
Phillips
Sexton
North (if not fit, then Maitland)
Tuilagi/O'Driscoll
Davies
Cuthbert
Halfpenny.

To be honest, it shows the depth of back row power, that any one of the midweek back row could, and should, feel aggrieved to be missing out on the test team. Personally, on a tactics basis I'd be inclined to start Corbisiero, with Vunipola adding some real dynamism off the bench as the game fragments, but Mako's form on tour fully justifies his start.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

but he has not faced a scrummaging test yet and that is the problem
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

I'm not sure it is possible to select the starting XV purely based on all the injury concerns. Looking at BBC today: Roberts and Bowe will miss the first Test and North is 50:50. No one seems to be saying much at all about Manu.

I know some don't like him but I think WG and the coaches have done a really good job - so credit where it is due. There seems a positive spirit about the squad and I expect a good mix of nationalities in the 1st Test XV whereas many suggested he would go with a Welsh core of players. Not impossible that 2 of the front row could be English and I expect Croft to start. There is a lot of rugby left on this Tour and if the injuries don't clear up (or get worse) there could be a few of the late additions playing a significant part: Zebo, 12T, Wade, etc.

Credit also to a few players for really stepping up their game. Davies has been sheer class and who expected Vunipola to play so well?

Come on the Lions... we need to put the Aussies to the sword in the 1st Test.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I guess it may prove a high risk strategy to select the front row on the basis of games so far as they are yet to face a front row who can compete.
tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tig1 »

I think Davies is an excellent player and well deserves a spot. He is a big old unit aswell at 16 1/2 stones and 6 ft 1. I guess because everybody is used to Roberts and Manu its not so obvious.

Anyway, every single back on this tour is likely to play in a test as it would defy reason to think there will not be more injuries.