Reality TV/Antique Programmes

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RugbyTiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Reality TV/Antique Programmes

Post by RugbyTiger »

There seem to be far too many of the so called reality tv and antique style programmes around at the moment. Not only that but the cooking experts seem to be starting to jump on the band wagon ! I am not saying that I do not like them but do we need so many of the same type of thing thrown at us all of the time !!
Carole

A REAL RUGBY TIGER IN MORE WAYS THAN ONE !!

ALSO KNOWN AS DORCAS - PART OF THE MOTHERS GANG SO WATCH OUT LADS !!
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Re: Reality TV/Antique Programmes

Post by BJ. »

Unfortunately this is the way TV producers and planners' minds work

If a particular topic appeals to the viewing public, they flood the airwaves with it. For a few years, we only had the highly popular Pot Black but it didn't take too long before every tinpot snooker tournament was being televised and filling up the schedules. Ready Steady Cook was an excellent format when it first appeared and popular with the public so, before not too long, you can't move for cookery programmes. Going for a Song and Antiques Roadshow are/were two superb programmes so, in the minds of the planners, we must have shedloads more of this subject. Another favourite topic of the moment is buying properties to either renovate and occupy or renovate and sell, e.g. Houses under the Hammer.

The bottom line is it's lazy planning but it's pandering to that section of the public who want to watch TV without having to do too much thinking.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Eon B
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Eon B »

These are among the many reasons I don't have a TV.
RugbyTiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by RugbyTiger »

I agree with you there BJ. We now have Flog it, Put your money where your mouth is and Amtigies road trip to name but a few. Mind you it has made us all have a second kook at what we thought was rubbish before we throw it out !
Carole

Northeast Tiger

Post by Northeast Tiger »

RugbyTiger wrote:There seem to be far too many of the so called reality tv and antique style programmes around at the moment. Not only that but the cooking experts seem to be starting to jump on the band wagon ! I am not saying that I do not like them but do we need so many of the same type of thing thrown at us all of the time !!
I was at a meeting with some top people from a leading supermarket. They said in a recent national survey, there were more people watching cooking programmes on T.V. than actually cooking food. Frightening :smt009
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

You'd think with all these cooking programs that the public would now be making their own meals, a quick look into supermarket trollies show they are still of frozen ready meals and meals in tins.Sad reflection on life
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
RugbyTiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by RugbyTiger »

tigerburnie wrote:You'd think with all these cooking programs that the public would now be making their own meals, a quick look into supermarket trollies show they are still of frozen ready meals and meals in tins.Sad reflection on life
I agree with you there Tigerburnie. Some of it is the supermarkets fault though for selling so many different types of ready meals. It may be ok to have them once in a while but not to live off them indefinatly!!
Carole

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

tigerburnie wrote:You'd think with all these cooking programs that the public would now be making their own meals, a quick look into supermarket trollies show they are still of frozen ready meals and meals in tins.Sad reflection on life
Some research suggests that it is precisely BECAUSE there are so many cookery programmes and competitions like "Masterchef" that fewer people are cooking. The quick half-hour of bam-bam tips, big name chefs or "amateurs" creating 5 star dishes intimidates and discourages people.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Gleisondyn

Post by Gleisondyn »

It's the same with the home make over programmes or buying selling houses, and they never buy one.
It must be so easy for them, no actors to pay no script writers or big production fees. AND on Masterchef they buy so much food that doesn't get used and must be wasted. Makes you wonder where the licence fee goes?
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

The house next door to us was sold at auction and featured on Houses under the Hammer.

The BBC picked the wrong time to come and do the final shoot as I was constantly in and out with the car that day and they wanted to site one of their cameras at the bottom of our drive. After I made them move for at least the fifth time, the director got 'all BBC' with me and asked if I was doing it on purpose. However, he went very quiet and apologetic when I reminded him who exactly paid his wages by virtue of the licence fee and also that I was working for the BBC when his mother was still changing his nappies!
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

BJ. wrote:After I made them move for at least the fifth time, the director . . . asked if I was doing it on purpose.
If I were you I certainly would be!