Who is our most paid player now?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Who is our most paid player now?

Post by MrPartridge »

If I'm honest I don't have the best appreciation of the salary cap rules, but it was my understanding that Castro was our marque and highest paid player. Now that he has left the club does anyone know who the highest paid Tigers is? Plus, if Castro was the marque player then surely his departure must free us up to make a big signing over the summer... or is that an overly simplistic way of looking at the current situation?
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: Who is our most paid player now?

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

I think, IMHO, that the majority of our business has been done and that some of the budget that was previously taken up by Castro has been spent on the new signings we already have.

As for who is our highest paid player - this is taken from the Premier Rugby site:

A Club may nominate to the Salary Cap Manager one Player to be excluded from their Salary Cap calculations.

A Club shall only be entitled to nominate a Player as an Excluded Player who:

(i) has been a Player of the Club for atleast two full Salary Cap Years prior to the Salary Cap Year in which he is nominated as the Excluded Player; or
(ii) has not been a Player of any Aviva Premiership Club during the previous Salary Cap; or
(iii) was selected and included in a national playing squad of any country participating in the RWC2011.

The name of the Excluded Player shall be kept confidential.

The full blurb on salary caps can be found here: http://www.premiershiprugby.com/premier ... ry_cap.php

With this in mind you could pick any one of Ben Youngs, Tom Youngs, Manu, Geoff Parling, Tom Croft....the list could go on
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Thanks for the clarification - most useful.

But surely the logic would be to bring in a new player as the excluded player as that opens up options to make a big name signing (on big money). I agree with the names you have given, but if Croft or Manu is the new excluded player surely we have missed an opportunity to sign a big name...
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

I agree - but I can't see that any of the guys we've signed fit that bracket. De Chaves, Briggs, Gibson, Williams, Camacho, Schuster, Lamb and Mele will all no doubt be decent players for us; just not sure that any of them fit the bill.

There has been talk of another centre/full back and another prop on here, but nothing concrete. I guess we'll have to wait and see who else, if anyone, comes through the door during the summer.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Agreed, the transfer talk has gone a bit quiet.
Looking at what we have and what we're lost, I still think a prop or two are needed. Castro, Brookes and Harris have all gone, yet only Schuster has signed. Leaves us light on numbers. Talk of Sebastien Taofifenua and/or Constantin Pristavita signing, but neither strikes me as a Marquee player.
I thought/think we need another natural 7 to help Salvi, but suspect we will stick with what we have in Gibson. There was talk of a possible extra back row, Welsh 7's player Craig Price from Llanelli was linked, but again, not likely to be the Marquee player.
Centre needs looking at since we have lost both our young depth/LV options in Forsyth and Symons. No real links here.
Fullback, I did feel we need someone, but less concerned on reflection since we have Tait, Hamilton and Morris, and still have Thompstone, Goneva, Benjamin and Camacho to cover the latter two on the wing.
So, either we will sign a centre/fullback option as the Marquee player, which I doubt, or more likely we will slide one of our England big guns into the Marquee slot.
My thought, Toby to sign a big new contract extension, be made new club skipper and alotted Marquee player.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I know who the marquee player is, but I'm not allowed to tell you as it's confidential......................... :smt004
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
chinnjamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chinnjamie »

tigerburnie wrote:I know who the marquee player is, but I'm not allowed to tell you as it's confidential......................... :smt004
My first guess would be Flood, and my second guess would be Manu!
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

If Flood follows Manu's lead and signs a new deal, I have no doubt he will then be the Marquee player, as he would likely then be our biggest earner.
MJSRacer
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by MJSRacer »

chinnjamie wrote:
tigerburnie wrote:I know who the marquee player is, but I'm not allowed to tell you as it's confidential......................... :smt004
My first guess would be Flood, and my second guess would be Manu!
Agreed! especially with the timing on the announcement of Manu's new "Long Term" deal probably starting 1st June which i understand is when most players contract's end thus taking the place of the former marquee signing.
Oh i'd rather be a Tiger than a (Insert oppositions nick name here), Oh i'd rather be a Tiger than a (Insert oppositions nick name here),I'd rather be a Tiger, rather be a tiger, rather be a Tiger than a (Insert oppositions nick name here)!!!
Nailsworthstiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nailsworthstiger »

How about DC? He must be on a few bob a week by now.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Spoil sport!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

longlivethecrumbie wrote:
Spoil sport!
I was beginning to think I'd lost my touch in sarcastic remarks contest,thanks lltc... :smt002
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

I would imagine it is Manu, as he is a player we need to keep, but would also draw attention from pretty much any club that has enough money to throw at him. Tie him up in a large, long-term contract, as we have done, and keep him happy.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Dan Cole. Props are the most expensive players, he signed a new deal last season and I think I heard rumours at the time it was on a par with Castro. I also refer back to Mr Cockerill's comments about your tighthead being your most expensive player and at Tigers the other tighthead being your second most expensive. Pretty sure he meant Castro and Cole there.

Cole is the most valuable asset in the squad, mid twenties, one of the best tightheads in world rugby, as good as another 7 at the breakdown and I'm sure they'd be a lot of interest in such a corner stone of the Tigers pack were he available (top quality props get massive amounts across the channel).
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

sam16111986 wrote:Dan Cole. Props are the most expensive players, he signed a new deal last season and I think I heard rumours at the time it was on a par with Castro. I also refer back to Mr Cockerill's comments about your tighthead being your most expensive player and at Tigers the other tighthead being your second most expensive. Pretty sure he meant Castro and Cole there.

Cole is the most valuable asset in the squad, mid twenties, one of the best tightheads in world rugby, as good as another 7 at the breakdown and I'm sure they'd be a lot of interest in such a corner stone of the Tigers pack were he available (top quality props get massive amounts across the channel).
When he went to the Falcons, Carl Hayman was the highest paid player in world rugby. Likewise, I believe Castro was in the top tier of earners and wasn't far behind him when he signed on with us last time. If a tighthead creaks, you're scrum creaks. That's why they are the big earners, securing solid scrum ball is key.
Having Cole as our first choice is critical to our success. Having Mulipola as second choice TH is an enviable position to be in, and will ease the loss of Castro.