Police praise fans - only 6 arrested!

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Police praise fans - only 6 arrested!

Post by Tyzot »

From the BBCs website:
Police have praised the behaviour of football fans during Nottingham Forest's end of season battle with rivals Leicester City.

The Foxes clinched a play-off place with a dramatic 3-2 win over Forest at the City Ground, which meant the home side missed out on the play-offs.

Officers said three arrests were made in a crowd of 28,646 at the ground.

Two men were arrested on suspicion of breach of the peace and one man was arrested on suspicion of assault.

A woman and two men were also arrested on suspicion of assault during a dispute after the match in Pavilion Road, near the ground.

Supt Mark Holland said: "The policing operation went well and I'd like to thank the vast majority of fans for their good behaviour."

Leicester City now face Watford at home in the first leg of their Championship play-off semi-final on Thursday.
Good grief - 24,000 at WR on Saturday - as far as I know zero arrests.

We must be up for an award at least.

If that deserves praise, what is normal acceptable behaviour - 10 arrests, 20 arrests,only a couple of attempted shootings. Where do you draw the line?

Mind you, I suppose you can't have many arrests with a zero police presence.
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Police praise fans - only 6 arrested!

Post by WiggoTiger »

Tyzot wrote:From the BBCs website:
Police have praised the behaviour of football fans during Nottingham Forest's end of season battle with rivals Leicester City.

The Foxes clinched a play-off place with a dramatic 3-2 win over Forest at the City Ground, which meant the home side missed out on the play-offs.

Officers said three arrests were made in a crowd of 28,646 at the ground.

Two men were arrested on suspicion of breach of the peace and one man was arrested on suspicion of assault.

A woman and two men were also arrested on suspicion of assault during a dispute after the match in Pavilion Road, near the ground.

Supt Mark Holland said: "The policing operation went well and I'd like to thank the vast majority of fans for their good behaviour."

Leicester City now face Watford at home in the first leg of their Championship play-off semi-final on Thursday.
Good grief - 24,000 at WR on Saturday - as far as I know zero arrests.

We must be up for an award at least.

If that deserves praise, what is normal acceptable behaviour - 10 arrests, 20 arrests,only a couple of attempted shootings. Where do you draw the line?

Mind you, I suppose you can't have many arrests with a zero police presence.

In the area of Nottingham where I work attempted shootings are the norm!! Nottingham is a dodgy city so for them 6 arrests is a mitacle!!
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Amazingly, there was only one arrest at the Derby v Millwall match. Mind you, this happened.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
kpb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kpb »

Seems a lot of idiots were at Abbey park over the weekend....

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/P ... z2SbHFIOUq
POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

OP I would suspect that you don't often go to Football games, the attitude of police plays a massive part in the so called "trouble" now days, they turn up dressed like paramilitary, and treat innocent members of the public with extreme contempt simply because they are guilty of being a football fan. Which puts everyone's backs up and creates the "trouble"

I have been to Forest away with Leicester City the past 3 years until last week when I couldn't get a ticket and I have NEVER seen any trouble what so ever. Police will arrest football fans simply to bump up the numbers so they can charge more for the same fixture next year.

People chant things at each other but it is just banter and no one takes it seriously, but many times I've walked back to the train station with fans of the other side having an open discussion about the game everyone in full colours too.

Millwall fans and a few Neanderthals aside Football fans are as well behaved as Rugby fans, not that the Press want to accept that as it doesn't suit the stereotype they have made.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Jimmy Skitz wrote:OP I would suspect that you don't often go to Football games, the attitude of police plays a massive part in the so called "trouble" now days, they turn up dressed like paramilitary, and treat innocent members of the public with extreme contempt simply because they are guilty of being a football fan. Which puts everyone's backs up and creates the "trouble"

I have been to Forest away with Leicester City the past 3 years until last week when I couldn't get a ticket and I have NEVER seen any trouble what so ever. Police will arrest football fans simply to bump up the numbers so they can charge more for the same fixture next year.

People chant things at each other but it is just banter and no one takes it seriously, but many times I've walked back to the train station with fans of the other side having an open discussion about the game everyone in full colours too.

Millwall fans and a few Neanderthals aside Football fans are as well behaved as Rugby fans, not that the Press want to accept that as it doesn't suit the stereotype they have made.
Yeah, yeah; it's all a meejah hype. At Oxford and Reading railway stations there is always a large police presence for certain games because soccer fans disgorge from the trains chanting in unison, fists pumping, and intimidating other rail travellers. Special coaches are provided to transport these "people" to the ground. Last year, the coach company withdrew after the second coach to leave Oxford station for a Swindon/Oxford match had been rendered unusable within one mile by the football supporters on it. Completely trashed and the driver intimidated, the coach pulled in: luckily there were a lot of police with dogs to "assist" the supporters several of whom had Alsatian marks on their bums (Ho ho)
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Rowdy was isn't the same as trouble, I can only speak from first hand experience ...

When the police are visible but keep their distance the days are peaceful with little or no trouble. When they are active it's chaos
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

There were no police officers on the buses. The bus company lost an expensive bus.
Face it: soccer fans are violent drunks; they were put in cages because no-one knew how else to control them. They still are.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Alanhfm

Post by Alanhfm »

Even the drunks at Welford Road are still polite friendly and funny, if only football fans were the same. Mind you rugby players in the main don't hit the deck as if they are shot every two minutes
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Alanhfm wrote:Even the drunks at Welford Road are still polite friendly and funny, if only football fans were the same. Mind you rugby players in the main don't hit the deck as if they are shot every two minutes
unfortunately now days if a player doesn't chuck himself to the floor at the 1st hint of contact the idiots with the whistle don't give a foul, even when the offenders is trying to swap shirts during the game, its become a self fulfilling prophercy
paddysdad

Post by paddysdad »

JS you come across as someone who cannot imagine what its like to be a cop policing football :censored:.
Thick, :censored:, opinionated folk who live for the abuse of a weekend.
I bet you have advice on how to stay safe so as to go home to your wife. To have policed riots, to have told an old lady that her entire family has died on Christmas day, to have taken the abuse at games, had been threatened with a knife and picked up bits of bodies at accidents.
No....You will sit on your barstool and be right about everything.
The police should this and the police should do that.....Get a brain.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

paddysdad wrote:JS you come across as someone who cannot imagine what its like to be a cop policing football :censored:.
Thick, :censored:, opinionated folk who live for the abuse of a weekend.
I bet you have advice on how to stay safe so as to go home to your wife. To have policed riots, to have told an old lady that her entire family has died on Christmas day, to have taken the abuse at games, had been threatened with a knife and picked up bits of bodies at accidents.
No....You will sit on your barstool and be right about everything.
The police should this and the police should do that.....Get a brain.
as the only 1 on here that regularly goes to football games I'm in a much better position to say what happens then most...

Engage your own brain and realise not everything the press say is true, I am telling you as a fact, now days the police are overly heavy handed and cause more problems then they solve at football matches.

The Idiots that want to fight, Millwall fans aside they (some) are an exception, meet up well away from grounds its organised fighting, most of them have no interest in going to games and are probably banned too.

As for the rest of your post you ramble on about a bunch of stuff that's completely irrelevant to my point.

As an aside I suspect that a large amount of Rugby fans would be refused entry to the ground at a football game for turning up having already had a skinfull before hand
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

What makes you (erroniously) think you are the only person who regularly goes to football matches?
Valhalla I am coming!
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: As an aside I suspect that a large amount of Rugby fans would be refused entry to the ground at a football game for turning up having already had a skinfull before hand
Surely that serves to prove the point about the difference between football and rugby fans; there's little need to be wary of a group of rugby fans that have had a drink. The same, evidently, can't be said of football fans.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Skin_and_Muscle wrote:Surely that serves to prove the point about the difference between football and rugby fans; there's little need to be wary of a group of rugby fans that have had a drink. The same, evidently, can't be said of football fans.
Excellent point. Well made. :smt023
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.