Why do some people ...

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BJ.
Super User
Super User

Why do some people ...

Post by BJ. »

As the season has finished, the mind wanders to trivia. Here are ten endings to the title - I'm sure you can think of some more.

1. Start to drive away in their car and then decide to fasten their seat belt?
2. Naturally assume everyone loves small children?
3. Automatically expect everyone to move out of their way when they are walking head down and texting?
4. Leave their shopping trolley blocking an aisle whilst wandering off in a supermarket?
5. Feel it is compulsory to eat stinking hot dogs and popcorn in a cinema at a 11.30am viewing?
6. Think a 'Please switch off your mobile phone' request in a theatre never applies to them?
7. Wait until they get on a bus before looking for change for their fare?
8. Feel they must park their car half on a pavement even though the road is plenty wide enough?
9. Feel they must use the word 'absolutely' when all they mean is 'yes'?
10. Think, the louder they play music in their car, the further they must wind down the windoew?
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Zdzislaw

Re: Why do some people ...

Post by Zdzislaw »

It's because more and more people have regard only for themselves and they are oblivious of other people. Why has that happened? It's complicated, but parental nurturing of children has something to do with it. Education too.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Mobile phone use is the biggest problem I can recall in decades, people driving with no hands free whilst on the phone is dangerous and illegal, yet car makers don't fit hands free as standard,why not?They fit SAT Navs.
I was in a shop the other day at the till a woman was talking on her phone and gesticulating to the shop owner to serve her. He stood with his arms folded, she eventually stopped talking on her phone(though didn't hang up) and asked him why he wasn't putting her items though the till, he replied that he might have to talk to her and as she was talking to someone else it could be construed as being ignorant and rude, she didn't get the message or appologise.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

The ones I'd add are:

Why do people assume that everyone likes dogs - especially those who say "he's only playing" when the said hound has its teeth sunk in some unfortunate child!

Why do cyclists assume that rules about using lights after dark, obeying traffic lights, and avoiding people on pedestrian crossings don't apply to them.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
old one eye
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by old one eye »

I was following a young woman up to a set of lights which were on red, as we approached the traffic lights they changed to green but, despite this the young "lady" brought her car to a stop. I gave her a few seconds then a quick pip on my horn to draw her attention to the state of the lights. At this point she looked in her rear view mirror and pointed to her mobile phone and shouted angrily "cant you see I am on my
effing phone" loudly through her open window. I was astounded, but not as astounded as the traffic policeman who was sat at the red light to our right and when she pulled off, followed by him with blue lights.

I assume justice was done.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

here's my contribution.

...never say please and thank you.
...write thank you letters or even bother to call or text.
...put books face down and squish them so the spines break.
...not pull up their blasted jeans! I don't want to see your pants thank you.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Rizzo wrote:here's my contribution.

...never say please and thank you.
...write thank you letters or even bother to call or text.
...put books face down and squish them so the spines break.
...not pull up their blasted jeans! I don't want to see your pants thank you.
I wonder do the kids know that the low jeans thing started in American prisons and was a sign to other inmates that they were available??????
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

I see your number 3 and raise you 'why do people walking in front of you always drift into your path when you try to overtake?'
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Skin_and_Muscle wrote:I see your number 3 and raise you 'why do people walking in front of you always drift into your path when you try to overtake?'
Alternatively why does a group of people always spread out laterally to completely fill a path and make it difficult to get past?
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Similar vein - why do people (almost invariably, women of 'a certain age') stop dead at the top of escalators? And for the same demographic, why do they congregate at the narrowest point in a supermarket for a social gathering and get peeved with normal people who wish to get past?
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Pam.B

Post by Pam.B »

DickyP wrote:Similar vein - why do people (almost invariably, women of 'a certain age') stop dead at the top of escalators? And for the same demographic, why do they congregate at the narrowest point in a supermarket for a social gathering and get peeved with normal people who wish to get past?
I'm probably one of those that stop at the top of the escalator, for the simple reason that I hate going down them :smt001 Need to pluck up the courage to get on, so be patient :smt002 No problem going up the escalators and there are not always stairs, especially on London Underground. And what are "normal" people? And I don't congregate in a supermarket - can't wait to get in, do the shopping and get out again :smt001
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Pam, that reply reminds me of my old sociology teacher, his favourite punishment was to demand a 500 word essay entitled "Define Normal".
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

I think DickyP was possibly referring to those who stop at the top of an up escalator. The worst sort are those with wheeled in-flight bags since they will close the handle down when boarding the escalator and stop the instant they get off to extend the handle again. They don't have the gumption to realise they're blocking the exit from the escalator. I've lost count of the number of times one of those bags has had the toe end of a size 10 Doc Marten go into it.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I always use stairs to keep fit, they are usually empty, funnily enough
Pam.B

Post by Pam.B »

If there are stairs, I do use them :smt001