Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Brian Moore

Post by Soggypitch »

Article in DT today.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/column ... shame.html

Have to say that as usual I agree with the vast majority of his comments.

Cockers deserves great credit for his coaching, selection and man management this year. However his occasional behavioral lapses let both himself and the Club down.

He seems incapable of stopping the red mist descending at times, and until the RFU take a firm line with these sort of antics he will continue to do so. And yes it is embarrassing!

If he had stayed in his seat for a few seconds to see the replay of Lawes tackle, he would have seen that it was a good tackle just marginally late, and it was Coles knee which knocked out Floody. Probably, but not certainly, a penalty - the officials got it right, Cockers massively over reacted and brings derision on himself and the Club.

It certainly wasn't the worst crime in the world, but as I say so unnecessary with the replay at his fingertips.
Soggypitch
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Brian Moore

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Agree, with you and Moore.

If it had been the other way around I'm sure Cockers would be saying what a great tackle our lad had made. A bit more control (acceptance/tolerance maybe?) needed, and if required channel it into the right (a better?) outlet, but i'd never want to completely remove his *cough* "enthusiasm" *cough*
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Brian Moore is an honest bloke now he is retired and generally sensible about most things but we all disagree on little things. I am of the opinion that the two Lawes tackles were intended to injure the opposition playmaker, which turned out to be the case. Enthusiasm is a word easily used to hide errors of judgement and dirty tactics IMO. We all want to see a fast hard game and it is easy to be fooled when you are too honest for your own good. Flood was targeted for special treatment IMO and for a while it nearly worked.
Cheery chappy
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

The Boy Dave wrote: I am of the opinion that the two Lawes tackles were intended to injure the opposition playmaker, which turned out to be the case. Flood was targeted for special treatment IMO and for a while it nearly worked.
At last someone has had more courage than me and spoken up about the design and purpose of both the Lawes tackles and not the legality. I am of the same opinion and reject all of the Lawes fair play comments supporting him on this forum.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

The Moore is the voice of wisdom imho and Peter Tom Wheeler ought to control our dor. The reputation of the club is not helped by bad mouthing and bad behaviour. Winning the Premiership has been marred by the behaviours of Hartley and Cockerill. It is time that they both grew up.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

The Boy Dave wrote: Enthusiasm is a word easily used to hide errors of judgement and dirty tactics IMO.
I was talking about not wishing to blunt Cockers' *enthusiasm* too much, not Lawes'.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

The Boy Dave wrote:

Enthusiasm is a word easily used to hide errors of judgement and dirty tactics IMO.

I was talking about not wishing to blunt Cockers' *enthusiasm* too much, not Lawes'.
Sorry, fair enough! I would also accept that one size fit's all regarding enthusiasm but I believe Cockers is the most honest bloke in this sorry episode!
Cheery chappy
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

Honest but unable to behave in a professional way. It is unacceptable.
jamiewilkinson

Post by jamiewilkinson »

I also have to agree with Moore. Although I admire his passion he needs to control it much better. Officials will start to go against him.
At the time I thought both Lawes tackles on Flood were late and deserved sanction, but with a cool head looking back I don't have a problem with his tackles as I feel he was already committed. Yes they were aimed to take out a key player but Flood does run the risk as he takes it so close into contact. I wish Cockers could have seen it in the same way. After all it was more Coles knee that KO'd Flood and not the initial tackle.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Honest but unable to behave in a professional way. It is unacceptable
Just protects or praises his players when deserved IMO. Something all good coaches do and remember it is the world v Tigers when it comes to winning matches!
Cheery chappy
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

There are the right ways and the wrong ways. Cockers alas does not know how to behave in public.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

There are the right ways and the wrong ways. Cockers alas does not know how to behave in public
I respect your opinion. I don't agree, but respect it!
Cockers is the man on the frontline and he doesn't suffer fools. He might not be perfect but I know the environment in which Tigers continue to do battle both on and off the pitch and he will do for me or we could sit back, keep quiet and allow everyone to just walk all over us!
Cheery chappy
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

The Boy Dave wrote: I respect your opinion. I don't agree, but respect it!
Cockers is the man on the frontline and he doesn't suffer fools. He might not be perfect but I know the environment in which Tigers continue to do battle both on and off the pitch and he will do for me or we could sit back, keep quiet and allow everyone to just walk all over us!
I'd agree with this, it would be like asking Julian White to behave on the pitch..............or Johnno, Tigers are passionate, not always perfect. If it had been a problem then he would have been sent to the stands as it happened before.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

The Boy Dave wrote:Just protects or praises his players when deserved IMO. Something all good coaches do and remember it is the world v Tigers when it comes to winning matches!
TBD, I can’t help but think your potato chip has only one eye.

WB as part of the ROW, did Tigers a big favour in red carding DH. It was a correct decision, but a 10m marchback would also have been a correct decision.

not sure how RC's actions actually helped TF on this occasion. IMO CL's tackles were both legal and to ask him to tackle our players a bit more gently, well we could ask.

Re RC, agree with Soggypitch and BM.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

TBD, I can’t help but think your potato chip has only one eye.

WB as part of the ROW, did Tigers a big favour in red carding DH. It was a correct decision, but a 10m marchback would also have been a correct decision.

not sure how RC's actions actually helped TF on this occasion. IMO CL's tackles were both legal and to ask him to tackle our players a bit more gently, well we could ask.

Re RC, agree with Soggypitch and BM.
Yes thanks for that one eyed view!
Regarding WB spat with Hartley, there had been previous between them and the rest is history!
On R.C's actions I simply take the view that if a hit is timed correctly then fair play. Don't get me wrong here, I'm not some wimp as I love to see a well timed big hit. It often annoys me to see defenders wimp out but do it right and there can be no doubt, do it wrong TWICE on the same player and people like me have every right to question the motive. Surely you can see this?
Cheery chappy