Barnes for the final

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 735
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:15 pm

Barnes for the final

Post by Tyzot » Fri May 17, 2013 5:44 pm

Are the RFU kidding!

kpb
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1124
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:34 am

Re: Barnes for the final

Post by kpb » Fri May 17, 2013 5:48 pm

Oh joy! :smt013

Saints fans are not over the moon either judging by the comments on their forum.
POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE.

Bundy
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 236
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:40 pm
Location: Burbage

Re: Barnes for the final

Post by Bundy » Fri May 17, 2013 5:56 pm

In the name of God Noooooooo!! :smt010

smalldell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1213
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:24 am
Location: NORTHAMPTON

Re: Barnes for the final

Post by smalldell » Fri May 17, 2013 6:00 pm

Absolutely ridiculous decision....
he has missed so much from both sides...why do they do this?

kpb
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1124
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:34 am

Re: Barnes for the final

Post by kpb » Fri May 17, 2013 6:03 pm

smalldell wrote:Absolutely ridiculous decision....
he has missed so much from both sides...why do they do this?
Someone obviously thinks highly of him!

:smt017
POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE.

Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 735
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:15 pm

Re: Barnes for the final

Post by Tyzot » Fri May 17, 2013 6:12 pm

Name one

kpb
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1124
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:34 am

Re: Barnes for the final

Post by kpb » Fri May 17, 2013 6:14 pm

Tyzot wrote:Name one
Still thinking.....I'll get back to you after the final!
POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE.

kingol22
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3197
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 3:54 pm

Re: Barnes for the final

Post by kingol22 » Fri May 17, 2013 6:30 pm

I dont think he was that bad in the game at Saints this season, there are a lot worse than him.

Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 735
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:15 pm

Re: Barnes for the final

Post by Tyzot » Fri May 17, 2013 6:32 pm

Thats because it was very one sided so his influence was less.

Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User
Posts: 14868
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:23 pm
Location: Essex

Re: Barnes for the final

Post by Bill W (2) » Fri May 17, 2013 6:34 pm

Tyzot wrote:Name one
He thinks very highly of himself!
Still keeping the faith!

yellow_balaclava_hunter
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 880
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:22 pm

Re: Barnes for the final

Post by yellow_balaclava_hunter » Fri May 17, 2013 6:57 pm

That is a completely unacceptable decision. Barnes has refereed four of the last five finals and has performed poorly in all of them. Now he has a go at a fifth final.

If I was the other referees I would be complaining. Barnes has handled a number of recent matches between Tigers and Northampton very poorly and is completely unsuitable for such encounters.

The persistent selection of Barnes for finals is undermining the quality of refereeing in the Premiership as by rewarding Barnes for poor performances it sends a message out to the other referees that the RFU want them to officiate like Barnes, which may explain the increase in bad refereeing of late.

I am aware that the club have complained about his performances and selection for finals on numerous occasions.

I expect the club to do so again. I also think that the club should contact Northampton to see if they would be interested in making a joint request to have a different referee as I am sure that they don't want Barnes to referee the final either.
Excuse me. Where do I get a yellow balaclava from?
I asked Gavin Henson if they sold them at Matalan but he said they didn't because they messed his hair up.

Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1494
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:53 pm
Location: London

Re: Barnes for the final

Post by Skin_and_Muscle » Fri May 17, 2013 7:13 pm

yellow_balaclava_hunter wrote: I expect the club to do so again. I also think that the club should contact Northampton to see if they would be interested in making a joint request to have a different referee as I am sure that they don't want Barnes to referee the final either.
He can be a bit hit and miss but on his 'good' days, he's a very good referee. Like some players, he just needs to make sure he doesn't get overwhelmed by the pressure. The vitriol isn't really warranted, though, he seems like a decent enough bloke.

As for making a joint request, they need to look no further than (AR) JP Doyle who, I concede, is the best premiership referee around.
Progress requires that the fears of both sides be more fully aired, not that one side wins.

yellow_balaclava_hunter
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 880
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:22 pm

Re: Barnes for the final

Post by yellow_balaclava_hunter » Fri May 17, 2013 7:27 pm

Skin_and_Muscle wrote:
yellow_balaclava_hunter wrote: I expect the club to do so again. I also think that the club should contact Northampton to see if they would be interested in making a joint request to have a different referee as I am sure that they don't want Barnes to referee the final either.
He can be a bit hit and miss but on his 'good' days, he's a very good referee. Like some players, he just needs to make sure he doesn't get overwhelmed by the pressure. The vitriol isn't really warranted, though, he seems like a decent enough bloke.

As for making a joint request, they need to look no further than (AR) JP Doyle who, I concede, is the best premiership referee around.
Wayne Barnes having a good refereeing performance is extremely rare and too much of a rarity for him to be selected for the final. To have refereed four of the last five finals and performed poorly does not justify his selection again on the off chance that he might do well for a change.

If being 'overwhelmed by the pressure' is the excuse for his regular poor showing then you would think that by the third final he would have got used to it.
Excuse me. Where do I get a yellow balaclava from?
I asked Gavin Henson if they sold them at Matalan but he said they didn't because they messed his hair up.

jgriffin
Super User
Super User
Posts: 6756
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:49 pm
Location: On the edge of oblivion

Re: Barnes for the final

Post by jgriffin » Fri May 17, 2013 7:55 pm

I weep for what should've been a great match. :smt009
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.

Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User
Posts: 14868
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:23 pm
Location: Essex

Re: Barnes for the final

Post by Bill W (2) » Fri May 17, 2013 8:46 pm

jgriffin wrote:I weep for what should've been a great match. :smt009
I am sure that W. Barnes Esq., will "manage the game" in his inimitable style. I doubt that he will enforce or even interpret the laws of the game with any consistancy.
Still keeping the faith!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests