stand up and stop other people see tries being scored

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: stand up and stop other people see tries being scored

Post by Grimlish »

Best of all Sapajo, and really hilarious when you stop to think about it, they dont seem to realise that their intemperate responses make my point for me: They cant keep a lid on it while typing in comfort, probably at leisure in their own 'front room' or equivalent, yet they expect 20,000 plus to do so in the cauldron of last Saturday afternoon at WR?

Simply brilliant! Nuff said!
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

I was up on my feet all the time on Saturday, but only AFTER a score
Just an observation - given the average time elapsed between scorer receiving the ball and crossing the line must have been about two or three seconds, the time difference between being a 'moron' and a 'considerate person that stands up after a try is scored' is rather slight? Not to say a matter of careful timing (actually I think it probably takes me that long to stand up!).

Still think it's a sporting venue - leaping up joyfully is part of it. Even if I can't leap up quite as quickly as I used to I'm not sure I want to stop people that can.

I seem to recall a similar thread in the past on whether children should be allowed to the front on the terrace? That also split into similarly polarised positions of entitlement.

A bit more slack from either side perhaps?
Nik
Super User
Super User

Post by Nik »

Grimlish i sincerely hope you are never in a position to suffer the way some do with a disability - to feel pain when walking - sitting or just trying to get on with life - to have to explain yourself and why you treat others the way you wish to be treated is called consideration.

Perhaps one day you'll become a little wiser and consider others, i just hope a life changing disability doesn't make that happen like it has others...
Life was like a box of chocolates - until I ate them! :smt061
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Nik wrote:Grimlish i sincerely hope you are never in a position to suffer the way some do with a disability - to feel pain when walking - sitting or just trying to get on with life - to have to explain yourself and why you treat others the way you wish to be treated is called consideration.

Perhaps one day you'll become a little wiser and consider others, i just hope a life changing disability doesn't make that happen like it has others...
There is dedicated seating for ambulant impaired supporters which i believe is towards/at the front so those who require it should not suffer from those who, understandably imho, cannot contain their excitement at certain points in the match. There really is room for everybody.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

kend wrote:I seem to recall a similar thread in the past on whether children should be allowed to the front on the terrace? That also split into similarly polarised positions of entitlement.

A bit more slack from either side perhaps?
I also seem to recall a thread a while back complaining about a restricted view due to replacements warming up!
Nik
Super User
Super User

Post by Nik »

thank you for that h's dad but i would rather keep my independence for as long as possible thank you all the same........ not that you got that point!
Life was like a box of chocolates - until I ate them! :smt061
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Nik wrote:thank you for that h's dad but i would rather keep my independence for as long as possible thank you all the same........ not that you got that point!
Even at the expense of others who want to demonstrate their excitement and enthusiasm? Perhaps there isn't room for everybody .... not that you got that point.
Zdzislaw

Post by Zdzislaw »

I'm afraid that I'm a guilty party. I did stand as Croft was about 30 yards from scoring his try and I did hear shouts of "sit down" from people diagonally behind me. My standing was a spontaneous act. It was not premeditated. I stood only momentarily before the Tait try then sat because I recalled the earlier objections. I apologise. However, I would say that the first few rows of the centre of the Cat stand (up to row L) do not afford a perfect view of the corner areas. I have asked to be relocated to a row at a higher elevation for next season (last year I was in the upper tier (Row R) and found that people generally remain seated because they have a view of the whole pitch). Some of the objections about people standing are over the top. We are at a sports occasion not a North Korean communist party conference.
vin rouge
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by vin rouge »

the solution is to ask players to walk tries in, reduces tension, stress and you won't miss anything. Introduce a new law that means you can't go above a jog between the 5 m line and try line, then no-one will jump up and you will have plenty of time to put your coffee down, re-arrange your rug and provide (a suitable reserved) round of (slightly apologetic) applause for scoring a try.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

This whole thread is an example of the ridiculous state of disabled legislation and its observance/non observance at present. There appears to be, all too often,just two camps - those who ignore the needs of the disabled and the legislation, and those who think the legislation gives power that it doesn't and seem to believe that if the disabled can't do it then nobody should.

I've spent far too much time dealing with both ends of the spectrum and there appears to be no balance involved. The actual worst cases are those who blatantly ignore the needs of the disabled, but the most frustrating are the opposite - absurdities like demands that hill-walking school trips be altered to accommodate wheelchairs or be cancelled.

I would say to Nik that expecting others to change their (normal) behaviour when you aren't willing to change yours, when provision is made for people with disadvantages is somewhat of a cheek. Especially when I'd say somewhere about 95% plus of the crowd around me were on their feet as/or just after the players scored - it's natural behaviour.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

vin rouge wrote:the solution is to ask players to walk tries in, reduces tension, stress and you won't miss anything. Introduce a new law that means you can't go above a jog between the 5 m line and try line, then no-one will jump up and you will have plenty of time to put your coffee down, re-arrange your rug and provide (a suitable reserved) round of (slightly apologetic) applause for scoring a try.
Good idea and while we're at it can we change the laws such that all scrums have to take place next to the touchline near to where I'm sat. I'm fed up with them taking place on the other side of the field where I can't see what's happening.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Johnnyg

Post by Johnnyg »

There is an easy answer to this problem. I saw it in a similar vein in north korea. Everyone is issued with a pair of chainmail tigers pants when they buy their season ticket and electro magnets operate to hold the supporters in their seats. Shock treatment wakes up the tartan rugged supporters at full time and a decibel monitor can punish with a good zap the over zealous supporter whose singing might damage the eardrum of the more vulnerable fan.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Why does it have to descend into rude comments about "tartan rug brigade" and the like? It's patently obviously that a disability or infirmity has nothing to do with the implied "anyone who stays sitting down is boring and old and therefore requires a tartan rug" digs at people. I don't see that having consideration for others even in the throes of extreme excitement requires a rug, or a jibe from those who want to stand and jump.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Johnnyg

Post by Johnnyg »

Why is it some people are so touchy? It was obviously a joke. Is society so PC now that having a gentle joke at someone with a tartan rug must be construed as being offensive. :smt015 Sad.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Rizzo wrote:Why does it have to descend into rude comments about "tartan rug brigade" and the like? It's patently obviously that a disability or infirmity has nothing to do with the implied "anyone who stays sitting down is boring and old and therefore requires a tartan rug" digs at people. I don't see that having consideration for others even in the throes of extreme excitement requires a rug, or a jibe from those who want to stand and jump.
Agree wholeheartedly. Didn't realise that there were so many inconsiderate blighters on here. Sad, very sad.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.