ANTHONY ALLEN AND ENGLAND

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

DickyP
Super User
Super User

Re: ANTHONY ALLEN AND ENGLAND

Post by DickyP »

Back to the Title of the thread - AA and England. I too feel that whatever his merits he's probably not got much chance of regaining an England place except in extremis. However, I do know that if put into the side he's perform well, as always. England's loss is certainly Tigers's gain.

His real problem is that he does everything well but in an unfussy and unflashy way. Just think of the superb try Tigers got against Treviso where everyone congratulated Ben Youngs for his vision, Mat Tait for his penetration and Thompstone for finishing it off. Nobody actually mentions the fact that AA was critically involved twice in the move: giving Tait the reverse pass that enabled his break and following up to give the final scoring pass to Thompstone.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Good points made, DickyP.

At the bottom of the selection process is how England want to play. If a player fits that model, they will be considered. The only way a player can demonstrate their ability to play in a particular style to a particular gameplan, is if their club plays in a compatible way.

The Leicester model does not fit Slancaster's forwards style of play. That is why TTTE does not get a look in. AA is a bit too subtle for the crash-bang centre style so beloved of MJ and perpetuated by SL, and so he does not get a chance.

It is unfortunate that the English model and its antithesis to the Tiger model excludes or sidelines some very talented players.

(Bit of a confused post, but I hope you get my drift) :smt001
Valhalla I am coming!
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

To re-open an old thread.

Did anyone else notice Anthony Allen's stint as Mr Invisible on Saturday?

He played a critical part in 3 of the four tries and yet as they were re-played his name wasn't mentioned once by any of the commentators or analysts. As usual it is just assumed he'll do exactly the right thing. Must admit he got a mention from Stuart Barnes for a couple of tackles and a compliment from him for doing everything well, as usual, but that was it.

I thought he had a cracking all-round game, as indeed he also did against London Irish the week before.
Chesterfield Chris
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Chesterfield Chris »

If I was AA I would be disappointed not have had more of a look-in in the England set-up but him and 36 are different players and there arent that many internationals for SL to keep changing things.
The whole emphasis at International level is physicality first and skill/brains later. AA lacks the physicality of some and therefore is overlooked in their favour.
As has been said before England's loss is Tigers gain - as a Tigers fan long may it continue :smt045
Off Piste Tiger

Post by Off Piste Tiger »

I do not think Anthony Allen has been over looked for England's tour of Argentina.I belevie he is unavailable due to a family commitment.

If in the future there are injuries in his position you would hope he might get a chance to play for England ?
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I lack the confidence of many of you in Lancaster and his coaching team.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Perhaps the most frustrating thing from AA's view is that the England inside centre berth is being hogged bay an outside centre, and not a great one at that!

If he was being kept out of the England shirt by a genuine inside centre such as 36, it would be one thing but to find that the place has been given to an outside centre who, whilst able to tackle solidly, is slow and unspectacular at international level, must be soul destroying.

I wonder whether the absence of Farrell from the coaching team may prove a good thing and allow Catt a bit more influence?
I have to say that I didn't think Farrell Snr had got enough experience as a union player and certainly not as a coach to be with England and am flabbergasted about his Lions inclusion. Sarries play would seem really to be overseen from afar by Ventnor and put into practice by the club coaches. Does that makr Farrell Snr a good coach in his own right or is he good at putting into action the head coaches plans. If it's just the latter he may have a deal more learning to do. It would explain the formulaic approach and safe selections.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Apparently he is getting some much needed surgery. I also heard somewhere that his wife is expected a baby.

By far the best 12 in the league though. By far. Shame nobody outside of Leicester realises.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

[quote="Darc Tiger"]Apparently he is getting some much needed surgery. I also heard somewhere that his wife is expected a baby.

/quote]

Are you suggesting that the he is getting some much needed surgery because his wife is expecting a baby :smt002
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Guinness&Nuts
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Guinness&Nuts »

AA deserves a chance based on form and consistancy of performance over the last 1-2yrs.
I think Lancaster has his favourites and they seem to be the under 20's brigade and a host of ex league players who just don't cut the mustard in my eyes. One fine example is Tomkins, he was dreadful in the semi final and was dragged off after 45mins.
AA has something to offer Eng based on abilty and the crop of available centres.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

I did see that Lancaster said he wasn't considered for the Argentine tour because of injury. There were no details though, so I assumed it was some surgery that had been put off: hasn't affected his performance though, has it?

Indeed when I resurrected the thread I didn't mention the summer tour because of it and just stuck to the way he just seems to be invisible.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

DickyP wrote:I did see that Lancaster said he wasn't considered for the Argentine tour because of injury. There were no details though, so I assumed it was some surgery that had been put off: hasn't affected his performance though, has it?

Indeed when I resurrected the thread I didn't mention the summer tour because of it and just stuck to the way he just seems to be invisible.
I listenned to the match on the radio being away from home.

Martin Corry said that AA was having surgery on his shoulder.

For what it is worth AA is underated by England - he is not one of "Lancasters Crowd" and not a crash bang merchant. Nonetheless in attack and defence he is, again IMHO, superior to BB.
Still keeping the faith!
wardy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by wardy »

It was confirmed on Sky on Saturday that Allen is due to have surgery over the summer and that is why he was not considered. Nothing to do with his wife's pregnancy if indeed she is pregnant. Perhaps he's been doing some more DIY?
Give blood, play rugby!!
smalldell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by smalldell »

AA's star quality is giving others the freedom to do what they are good at. This was again apparent on Saturday.

Think about what he does:-

1. Tackles and gets back to his feet ASAP.
2. Fills in defensive gaps
3. Links with attack to provide space and time for others.
4. When tackled with the ball it is available to recycle 999 out of 1000.

He's the glue that holds the backs together and gives everyone else time to play. I hope his surgery goes well and good luck with the new baby

Let's hope Tigers get one more great game out of him on the 25th before his rest.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Many more great games I am thinking!!

:smt006 :smt006 :smt006
Still keeping the faith!