Can you recall your 1st game at Tigers? Mine was 20 Nov 1993

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

MPG

Can you recall your 1st game at Tigers? Mine was 20 Nov 1993

Post by MPG »

I had moved to the Midlands in January 1993 and after getting hitched that summer went with my work colleagues in Leicester to the 'then' big game of the season versus Bath!

A very damp, cold Welford Road saw Tigers beat Bath 9-6 - whilst the quality of the match itself didn't live long in the memory the atmosphere from the near 12,000 crowd was amazing and I was hooked!

The rest is, as they say, history. ST holder from the following season and now my youngest has his ST as well.

Interested to hear others memories of their first ever match at the home of rugby.
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Can you recall your 1st game at Tigers? Mine was 20 Nov 1993

Post by WiggoTiger »

Baa Baas game 1977..............can't remember much as very young!!

Can remember as a child the exciting matches involving the Mids especially v N Zealand at WR with Dusty dropping goals from the half way line
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

WiggoTiger wrote:Can remember as a child the exciting matches involving the Mids especially v N Zealand at WR with Dusty dropping goals from the half way line
I have a program for that game somewhere, we had a morning kick off in a friendly against Stoneygate, then went down to Welford Road. In the evening we had our annual dinner dance at the holiday in and the All Blacks were staying there too. Most of the squad joined us in the evening for the disco etc, great memories of that day.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
kingneptuneii
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kingneptuneii »

10th Oct 1992 (at 3pm as well!!) Tigers 21, West Hartlepool 8... I was 4 and a half!
Never mind the ball, get on with the game!!
hww27
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by hww27 »

I remember it was against London Irish, it was November 2006, I was sat in what was then the A&L stand, I was very underdressed (it was the other half's idea of a surprise and he hadnt thought to tell me to dress appropriately!!)
Proud member of the Tom Youngs Fan Club :)
MarkyH

Post by MarkyH »

Don't remember the exact date, but it must have been either 1993 or 1994 when Midlands played NZ. Most vivid memory of the match is Neil Back standing on tiptoes to take a swing at one of the All Black locks!!
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Not sure on the date but it was England A v Namibia A back in the mists of time. My first Tigers match was not long afterwards with the likes of Liley, Harris, Kardooni, Hackney, Poole and the like in action
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Mine was 1953, year i started at Dixie Grammar School, school were given group tickets to share, cannot remember date, probably September, but difficult to remember my name now let alone exact dates.
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

Some time around 1974. It was against Bath.
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
tigerben
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by tigerben »

Not the first game that I went to (apparently I used to roam on the slope where the goldsmiths stand is now) but the first game I remember going to was on April 15th 1995.

Tiger beat Bath 31-21 to win the Courage League, seem to remember Dan Lyle throwing an American football style crossfield pass (that went about 5 yards forwards) striaght into Rory Underwoods hands who crossed for the try.
It was while the Goldsmiths stand was being built and a crane lifted up a board saying Tigers champions at the end of the game.

I also remember seeing New Zealand A against England A (i think) from the terrace but unable to find anything about it online.
Leicester Football Club.
First Back to Back European Champions.
First Club to win an Away Guiness Premiership Play-off Semi-Final.
British by Birth - Welsh by the Grace of God
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

My first game was Leicester Tigers vs Newcastle Falcons in 2005, Seeing us demolish the Falcons 83-10 was some introduction to the Tigers Family :smt023
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Not the exact date but it was in early 1993 as my daughter was coming up to 2 and more interested in picking up bits of gravel off the floor of the (then) members stand.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

LE18 wrote:Mine was 1953, year i started at Dixie Grammar School, school were given group tickets to share, cannot remember date, probably September, but difficult to remember my name now let alone exact dates.

That is some record to beat, I can't recall when I first went into the ground to watch a match. I remember being sat on a bus stuck in huge crowds when the South African team played the Midlands. I was rather young and didn't understand what anti-apartheid was, but watched a fair bit of the game from the bus, think that was late 1950's,probably a decade later when I went into the ground to watch.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

I've now reached the age where it's pills, not stairs, I take two at a time and I can remember when the only thing you needed for safe sex was a padded headboard. What was the question? Oh yes - my first trip to Welford Road was around the early 60's for the annual Baa-Baas game just after Christmas. My Dad played for the Tigers post-war* and was always able to get great seats in the Members' stand. I can't remember individual games but I vividly recall being hemmed in by large, loud gentlemen smoking huge cigars and drinking home-made sloe gin at half-time. Needless to say, I'm now a large, loud gentleman etc etc etc.

Sadly, my first recollection of a specific game was in 1967 when Danny Hearn broke his neck whilst playing for the Midlands Counties against the All Blacks. If memory serves, he later became a regular visitor to the Baa-Baas games although, of course, he was severely incapacitated.

*Pride of place in my study is a '48/49 team photo (including my Dad) with the old Members' Stand in the background. Uncomfortable - of course; a fire-risk - undoubtedly; part of my childhood - oh yes!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

strawclearer wrote:I've now reached the age where it's pills, not stairs, I take two at a time and I can remember when the only thing you needed for safe sex was a padded headboard. What was the question? Oh yes - my first trip to Welford Road was around the early 60's for the annual Baa-Baas game just after Christmas. My Dad played for the Tigers post-war* and was always able to get great seats in the Members' stand. I can't remember individual games but I vividly recall being hemmed in by large, loud gentlemen smoking huge cigars and drinking home-made sloe gin at half-time. Needless to say, I'm now a large, loud gentleman etc etc etc.

Sadly, my first recollection of a specific game was in 1967 when Danny Hearn broke his neck whilst playing for the Midlands Counties against the All Blacks. If memory serves, he later became a regular visitor to the Baa-Baas games although, of course, he was severely incapacitated.

*Pride of place in my study is a '48/49 team photo (including my Dad) with the old Members' Stand in the background. Uncomfortable - of course; a fire-risk - undoubtedly; part of my childhood - oh yes!
Great post, someone ought to write some of the good stories in a book.