Taking a child to the game

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

stujoed

Taking a child to the game

Post by stujoed »

Looking to take my lad to the game on Sunday for his first game.

In all the times I have visitors I have not looked at how to get child to see from terrace. I often see kids there down at the front. What is the protocol/unwritten rule/etiquette?

He is 4 and about 1m tall? Can I take him a step, what height are the hoardings so I can allow for getting him to see over?

Any advice?

Thanks
Off Piste Tiger

Re: Taking a child to the game

Post by Off Piste Tiger »

We try to get there about an hour and a half before kick off to secure a spot on the front row of The Crumbie. We bring a box / step for the little ones to sit /stand on so they can see over the fence which is approximately one metre high.
Food ,drink and those ps3 things are usefull.
The bigger the expected crowd the quicker the front row fill up. I think the terrace will be quite full as they have sold 13,500 tickets last time i heard and i don't think much of The Cat Stand is being used.
We go to every home game and have no problems taking the children .I hope you have a great day .
Crumblies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crumblies »

As long as you don't leave it until less than half an hour before kickof you should/will be able to take him straight to the front.

A milk crate is good to stand on if you can't get hold of one of those. A plastic garden stool from the local garden centre or DIY is light but sturdy, thats what we use for our grandson.

If you get near the tigers dug-out he should be able to get lots of autographs and pictures with the players.

Hope he has a great day and becomes a fan for life.
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

We go in the terrace and even if we are a bit late (pub!) people are generally pretty good at letting little one go down to the front.
yellow_balaclava_hunter
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by yellow_balaclava_hunter »

Simple answer is that if you want to bring children then there are plenty of seats available. It is irresponsible to bring a four year old onto the terrace.

It is even more irresponsible when parents expect their children to be given a place at the front so that they can see and either expect someone else to police a child (who proceeds to misbehave throughout the game) or think that someone letting their child in also means that they can push in front of everyone else.

Yes this is a family club and children are welcome at matches but I never went onto the terrace until I was old enough to look after myself and also tall enough to see the match there. I expect parents to act responsibly and get seats as there isn't a shortage of them.
Excuse me. Where do I get a yellow balaclava from?
I asked Gavin Henson if they sold them at Matalan but he said they didn't because they messed his hair up.
LE15
Tiger Cub

Post by LE15 »

YBH really? I have never sat I have been on the terrace since I was 5 years old. As said before get there early bring something to stand on
stujoed

Post by stujoed »

Thanks for the helpful comments
Will get there early so he can get to the front. Presume it is ok to stand just behind him.

Ybh, everyone in life is welcome to their own view. I hope someone ruins your view tomorrow and then you will understand why a seat would be no good for a four year old. I was enquiring on how to get him to the front and the etiquette for doing so to ensure I didn't upset people such as yourself.
DaveRave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveRave »

stujoed wrote:Looking to take my lad to the game on Sunday for his first game.
What position does he play?
Crumblies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crumblies »

DaveRave wrote:
stujoed wrote:Looking to take my lad to the game on Sunday for his first game.
What position does he play?
Cmon Dave keep up in the Front Row obviously.
stujoed

Post by stujoed »

He has front row aspirations but sadly the view of some would see him relegated to the bench!
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

It is irresponsible to bring a four year old onto the terrace.
YBH - out of order comment in my opinion and well done to LE15 for picking this up. Lots of kids on the terrace today. Really family orientated atmosphere and no problems at all where we were.

Why does a 4 year-old need to be bought a seat? Why shouldn't kids get good positions on the terrace especially for a friendly? It is logical to get kids at the front anyway as kids tend to be small and hence adults can then see over them!

Stujoed - I hope you and your 4 year old had a great time and that he want to come to Tigers again and again! :smt045
Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tyzot »

Responsible parents can take their children on to the terrace quite happily, many have done this for many years. But like most things its first come first served, so the only way to be sure is to get there when the gates open or shortly after and find a way to keep them entertained during what is quite a long day for the smaller ones. The front fills up pretty quickly.

Sadly there is a small minority who prefer to stay in the pub, arrive late and expect others to act as child minders while they stand some distance away supping pints ignoring the child. That's not fair on the child or others.

Bit of a soapbox - sorry.

Bottom line - children of responsible parents are indeed made welcome. After all we were all there once.
Northenlad

Post by Northenlad »

Please keep kids out of seats!

We had 4 of them in front of us banging the seats up and down for the entire game and 5 behind us kicking our seats!

Parents apparently oblivious to how irritating their children are to others!

Love kids and want to encourage them to love rugby, but parents need to take control and responsibility!
If winning isn't everything, why do they bother keeping score?
stujoed

Post by stujoed »

Well, we got there an hour before ko but the barrier was full! Luckily a very nice chap who had a small amount of space next to him let me set my lad's little chair/stool up and look over the barrier. I stood just behind him and he had a wonderful time. He even shared his food with the kind man who let him in. Clearly it wasn't YBH!

To top it off we saw Shaun Edwards walking to station on way back to car and he stopped for a lovely photo with my lad.
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

I used to take my boys when they were little (they are bigger than me now!) and we used to go to the back of the Crumbie so they could stand on the seats or towards the front of the seating in the Crumbie.
stujoed wrote:Well, we got there an hour before ko but the barrier was full! Luckily a very nice chap who had a small amount of space next to him let me set my lad's little chair/stool up and look over the barrier. I stood just behind him and he had a wonderful time. He even shared his food with the kind man who let him in. Clearly it wasn't YBH!

To top it off we saw Shaun Edwards walking to station on way back to car and he stopped for a lovely photo with my lad.
Glad you and your lad had a good time. Pity about the last sentence, your lad will have nightmares seeing Edwards ugly mug in a photo. :smt001
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.