George Ford?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Lutontiger

George Ford?

Post by Lutontiger »

Did anyone else see Mike Averis's comment in today's Guardian re Peter Stringer coaching at Bath: "Peter Stringer is delighted to have two proteges to mentor at Bath...First there is Tom Heathcote...and coming shortly George Ford."
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Re: George Ford?

Post by h's dad »

Lutontiger wrote:Did anyone else see Mike Averis's comment in today's Guardian re Peter Stringer coaching at Bath: "Peter Stringer is delighted to have two proteges to mentor at Bath...First there is Tom Heathcote...and coming shortly George Ford."
Excuse my ignorance but a scrum half mentoring fly halves? Does that really work?
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

h's dad wrote:
Lutontiger wrote:Did anyone else see Mike Averis's comment in today's Guardian re Peter Stringer coaching at Bath: "Peter Stringer is delighted to have two proteges to mentor at Bath...First there is Tom Heathcote...and coming shortly George Ford."
Excuse my ignorance but a scrum half mentoring fly halves? Does that really work?
I think mentoring in this context is not position related. Stringer is probably acting as a mentor because he is an experienced senior professional.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

It's no secret, despite no official comment, we have lost him.
A life long Tiger
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

sapajo wrote:
h's dad wrote:
I think mentoring in this context is not position related. Stringer is probably acting as a mentor because he is an experienced senior professional.
Thanks. I thought genuine interchangeability was fairly rare but just thought I’d ask. I still find it difficult to understand why some LH's absolutely can't play TH and vice versa.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Thanks. I thought genuine interchangeability was fairly rare but just thought I’d ask. I still find it difficult to understand why some LH's absolutely can't play TH and vice versa.

I am no expert but from what I have read TH and LH each require different and specific skill sets.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

I am no expert but from what I have read TH and LH each require different and specific skill sets
This is somthing I do know a little bit about!
TH is alot harder work then LH as you are taking weight on both shoulders. You would think that a TH could easily move to LH but it can be difficult for some right handed players as they can struggle to keep their balance and bind to opponenets with their weaker left side. Similarly for a LH sometimes they struggle to bind at TH if they are left handed. There are all kind's of little obstacles that most players find difficult when switching sides. Getting both right is very rare!
Cheery chappy
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

The Boy Dave wrote:

I am no expert but from what I have read TH and LH each require different and specific skill sets
This is somthing I do know a little bit about!
TH is alot harder work then LH as you are taking weight on both shoulders. You would think that a TH could easily move to LH but it can be difficult for some right handed players as they can struggle to keep their balance and bind to opponenets with their weaker left side. Similarly for a LH sometimes they struggle to bind at TH if they are left handed. There are all kind's of little obstacles that most players find difficult when switching sides. Getting both right is very rare!

Thank you for your valuable insight :smt023
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I have felt for some time Ford should consider switching to scrum half as I just don't think he's big enough to play fly half at the highest level.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

sapajo wrote:
The Boy Dave wrote:This is somthing I do know a little bit about!

Seconded – thank you.

But is all right if I keep telling them all they have to do is bend over and push?
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

h's dad wrote:
sapajo wrote:
The Boy Dave wrote:This is somthing I do know a little bit about!

Seconded – thank you.

But is all right if I keep telling them all they have to do is bend over and push?
Good idea but I will be right behind you when you tell them :smt002
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

mol2 wrote:I have felt for some time Ford should consider switching to scrum half as I just don't think he's big enough to play fly half at the highest level.
Just like Aaron Cruden.

Sorry... I mean Rugby World Cup winning All Black Aaron Cruden....
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Not sure that Ford has shown the level of ability such, that if he was a Kiwi, that would single him out as a future All Black?
As yet he's not shown enough to look like a first choice for Tigers of the future.

There's a mix between physicality and skill - the less size the more skill you need.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

mol2 wrote:Not sure that Ford has shown the level of ability such, that if he was a Kiwi, that would single him out as a future All Black?
As yet he's not shown enough to look like a first choice for Tigers of the future.

There's a mix between physicality and skill - the less size the more skill you need.
This would be the same George Ford who was the youngest-ever winner of the World Junior Play of the Year award?
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

4071 wrote:
This would be the same George Ford who was the youngest-ever winner of the World Junior Play of the Year award?
There have been a few winners of this award that haven't really turned out to be stars though and haven't been capped for their senior side.