Tigers after the Final Whistle

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers after the Final Whistle

Post by jgriffin »

GS wrote:Hmm, there's a faint whiff of sour grapes in some of these posts. The fact is that this isn't the first time these comments have been made about the club. If I remember correctly a while back someone wrote to Cockers making the same point and got a surprise phone call from him to discuss the matter and he agreed that it would be nice if the players did acknowledge the travelling support. After all, we see it regularly when the visiting team at WR acknowledge their travelling fans, even if it is only a coach load and they lost. It confirms a bond between the club and its fans.

Tigers on the other hand have a very tight relationship within the club but not with their fan base. Sure, the individual players are fine but the club's attitude is largely only to be interested in the health of our wallets. They know that if someone said they would be opening an envelope on Orkney wearing a Tigers shirt someone here would be organising a coach from WR to go and watch and support the event.

A few years ago Mrs GS and I cycled from Lands End to John o'Groats to raise money and awareness for Matt Hampson. The hardest part of the exercise wasn't the planning, the training, paying for all the travel and accommodation or even doing the ride in a heatwave. No, it was getting the club to even acknowledge we existed. And all we wanted was some publicity in a programme to help with the fund raising. We never got it.
I used to go to lots of away matches before money and health problems intruded. I can only remember once any acknowledgement of travelling supporters by the team. I have seen lots of visiting teams come back out to thank their support. I have been asked about this a couple of times at away matches and have no answer save that it doesn't seem to be of any interest to any of the players except when they come out individually to see friends and/or family.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
beech

Post by beech »

Toulon were very clever by ensuring that the Tigers supporters were scattered around the ground in small groups and this must have made it difficult for the players to see where the supporters were. I have been critical in the past but have noticed an improvement in recent years. I had a thoroughly enjoyable weekend, apart from the result, and feel that it is wrong to moan about the players over this trivial matter when they had put in such a magnificent performance. Perhaps this will help! :smt038 :smt038
tf22
jamiewilkinson

Post by jamiewilkinson »

beech wrote:Toulon were very clever by ensuring that the Tigers supporters were scattered around the ground in small groups and this must have made it difficult for the players to see where the supporters were.
very clever, seemed like they allowed a couple of rows which would have made it very difficult for us to get some noise going, although we gave it our best shot, voice has nearly returned.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

jamiewilkinson wrote:
beech wrote:Toulon were very clever by ensuring that the Tigers supporters were scattered around the ground in small groups and this must have made it difficult for the players to see where the supporters were.
very clever, seemed like they allowed a couple of rows which would have made it very difficult for us to get some noise going, although we gave it our best shot, voice has nearly returned.
Perhaps we should take a leaf out of Toulon's book and do the same for HC games at Welford Rd next season?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Zdzislaw

Post by Zdzislaw »

The players show their respect to fans by giving their all during a match. They put their bodies through near torture whilst fans are comfortabley seated, some drinking beer throughout a game. To expect players to `acknowledge' fans after a game is absurd. More fans should show respect when there are post-match presentations to players instead of rushing away from the ground.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

As I said in an earlier post they did acknowledge the fans by coming across the pitch and waving.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

GS wrote:Hmm, there's a faint whiff of sour grapes in some of these posts. The fact is that this isn't the first time these comments have been made about the club. If I remember correctly a while back someone wrote to Cockers making the same point and got a surprise phone call from him to discuss the matter and he agreed that it would be nice if the players did acknowledge the travelling support. After all, we see it regularly when the visiting team at WR acknowledge their travelling fans, even if it is only a coach load and they lost. It confirms a bond between the club and its fans.

It was Mrs Cagey, after the game in Perpignan when Dan Carter played.

She sent an e-mail to the club expressing disappointment that the players had not come around. This was as much for the travelling supporters to show how much we appreciate the players efforts "in person", even/especially when we lose, rather than as part of the general applause at the end of the game as for an acknowledgement of the fans by the players.

She ended up getting a phone call from RC. His view was that without the players AND supporters, there is no club and that he would make an effort to get players to come out where reasonable. Obviously injures etc. need tending to ASAP.

We noticed a definite effort for a while afterwards, but as we do not go to many games and TV cuts away from the field quite quickly, we cannot say how much this has happened overall.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/i ... z2PuyFxAne

Seems the fans are appreciated and can have a positive impact

COME ON YOU TIGERRrrrrrssss

:smt027 :smt027 :smt027
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

I was pleased that some players did acknowledge our presence after the game. I had no complaints whatsoever. And I have no requirement at all to be "thanked" for having had a great weekend in Toulon.
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
Ian S
Tiger Cub

Post by Ian S »

Very nice to see that Munster went back out onto the pitch to go and thank the supporters and get a rousing response in return following their heroic efforts.Yet us Tigers fans who were in Toulon and commented we would have liked a similar opportunity get lambasted by some as being unreasonable.
Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremy Anderson »

Hi we were at Toulon as we were lucky enough to be at Treviso and Toulouse. Gutted we lost but team gave their all. I think a 'celebration' lap when you lose is inappropriate. All I look for from the team after the match is a clap or wave to the fans as they leave the field and that is what we got - so no complaints from me
Jez

Only Winners Win!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Jeremy Anderson wrote:Hi we were at Toulon as we were lucky enough to be at Treviso and Toulouse. Gutted we lost but team gave their all. I think a 'celebration' lap when you lose is inappropriate. All I look for from the team after the match is a clap or wave to the fans as they leave the field and that is what we got - so no complaints from me
Concur Jez!

When we win in Europe or elsewhere away from home (Paris and Thomond {ark - ah distant memories) the players happily celebrate with us fans.

Likely when we lose they are as gutted as we are!

A sympathetic wave is all we (and they) need.
Still keeping the faith!
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

Can't help that the Munster team are more grounded in their community and with their fans.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Just like to thank Manu and Logo (and, I think, Andy T)for coming to H's school team dinner after the match on Saturday and doing the rounds. I know Manu ia an old boy and is about quite a bit but, as far as I'm aware, Logo has no such ties. Thanks guys.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game