Bench:
Mercey
Day
Dowson
McMillan
L. Dickson
Waldouck
Diggin

Should do quite well IMHO. Solid Top 4 if not more....
retsilnai
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: Saints .. a force in 13/14 ?

Post by retsilnai »

Bothered I am not.!!!!
Ian
Richard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Richard »

Its their back up where they have struggled and I can't see that improving..they will be struggling to make the top 6 next year
the future is bright
the future is
Scarlet Green and White
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Saints first team squad for next season:

1) Corbs/Waller
2) Hartley/Haywood
3) Ma'afu/Mercey
4) Lawes/Samoa
5) Day/Clark
6) Dowson/Nutley
7) Wood/Harrison
8) Van Zelze/Oakley
9) Kahn/L Dickson
10) Myler/A N Other
11) K Pisi/Artymiev
12) G Dickson/Burrell
13) Pisi/Waldouck
14) North/Elliot
15) Foden/Wilson

Not really that impressive particularly in the forwards. A bruising second row should be a priority.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Has Corbisiero passed his medical?

There were rumours his career may be curtailed due to a chronic knee injury.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

At full strength it looks vaguely tidy, but not awe inspiring. From the teams listed above, there is a lack of locks, Clark is not a second row. Also a lack of depth at prop, and given Corbisiero's injury record, they'll need some depth. Ma'afu is steady, but not in the Dan Cole class as a first choice tighthead. To make it more club specific to Saints, he is not an upgrade on Mujati or even Doran-Jones. No depth at ten either? I believe they picked up a lock and a (goal kicking) utility back from Otago last week, so maybe working on some depth, but still need to do some post Tonga'uiha, Mujati and Doran-Jones shopping.
youngtiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by youngtiger »

FrontRowUnionMember has some inevitable interets and I agree with him. Being a back I look at that and honestly am not afraid: wasps have lots of strike runners and pace, but without a brilliant 10/12 axis there simply isn't enough there to threaten. They are the basis on which the rest of the backs play, you could put anyone outside, for example, Owen Farrell and they would start to look poor. They will have flashes, and Fotuali'i will work some magic, but it is still lacking.
Last edited by youngtiger on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

At the start of this season Mallinder was reported in the media as saying that he had a strong squad with no gaps.
Now, with a new backs coach and these high profile signings, and the possible rumoured kiwis, arriving for next season, I think he will be under increasing pressure to bring home the bacon. He will certainly be running out of excuses if they don't perform.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

I'd have George North off them any day!

Fair play to the Saints board - they are strengthening the team and North will bring real quality.

Whether that puts them ahead of us next season, I have my doubts. But Tigers board really do need to bring in a 'star turn' like North ahead of next season.

I know quite a lot of people don't like the football analogy... but Tigers recruitment seems to follow the Man City approach, i.e. last season MCFC brought in lots of squad players. Man Utd signed Van Persie and the rest is history. I can't see any of our recent signings improving our starting XV. Say what you like about Northampton but the arrival of North immediately makes them better IMHO!
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

It's all very well having a winger of North's quality, but if the Saints front five struggles to maintain any quantity/quality of possession, he is no more than just another tackler.
Wasps have one of the better wing parterships in the league in Wade and Varndell, but I saw the highlights of their game against Saints, and they were cut off at source when Wasps pack were on the back foot so much.
Now Saints did that with the likes of Tonga'uhia and Mujati in the matchday squad, next season they won't be there.
If you look at where we dominate sides, it is the power of our pack laying the platform, strangling the life out of the opposition. Looking at England's most succesful side, 2003, same thing. There may be a couple of clubs in the premiership I believe, that on their day has a starting front row that comes close to ours, but nobody else has the power coming off the bench we have.
Saint's have relied heavily in recent times on the power of Tonga'uiha and Mujati. Mercey has taken over Mujati of late, but I do wonder if that is with an eye on next season.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Not convinced.
Corbisiero will if fit be on England duty and may well miss many Saints games when not fit.
Lack of discipline will hurt them too.

Mid table.
tommo

Post by tommo »

Mujati came off the bench for Mercey at Wasps and had a stinker.

Mercey also held his own in the HC final against Leinster. A very good prop, who may be 1st choice next year.

Time will tell though. Thats's why we coming back each year i guess!
Oh, When The Saints Go Marching In!
rocktop51
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rocktop51 »

Corbeseiro won't make a difference - remember how Balmain had him on toast earlier in the season. Having a great winger in North isn't a match winner if he won't get the ball !
Hambo :- He was with England when he was injured, but he was a Tigers player, our player. He is still our player.”
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote:It's all very well having a winger of North's quality, but if the Saints front five struggles to maintain any quantity/quality of possession, he is no more than just another tackler.
Wasps have one of the better wing parterships in the league in Wade and Varndell...
...and those two are the top try scorers in the Prem (22 between them - next highest is Thompstone with 6 !) and have won many games for Wasps over the last two seasons !

Some previous topics on here bemoan the lack of finishers in the Tigers side, but North is a proven try scorer and still getting better & better ..... who wouldn't want him in their team ?

Saints will be a better side with him in it - & I know they are not the finished article (especially at 10/12), but they will be as competitive next year as they are this and are only 3 or 4 signings away from challenging the top 3 again, IMO.
amazing tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by amazing tiger »

I reckon solid top 6 and probable top 4 not enough in depth when players go on six nations duty though