Thank you to Toulon, the club, the supporters and the town

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Grumpy of Crumbie

Thank you to Toulon, the club, the supporters and the town

Post by Grumpy of Crumbie »

Returned today from an amazing weekend in Toulon, just a converted try away from being perfect! Seven of us travelled and from the moment we 'got amongst it' in Belange Square and the Toulon Rugby Club we have never been made to feel more welcome. In fact in the square it was bordering on celebrity status with an endless wave of Toulon supporters wanting photographs of us with their family and friends from young kids to the more senior supporters.

The singing competitions, commaraderie, sportsmanship was unbelievable and if ever the true spirit of rugby was on display it was this weekend in Toulon, right up there with Munster and the people of Limerick in 2007.

I for one would like to thank everyone associated with Toulon Rugby Club for a fantastic weekend that will be relived for years to come. To those at the top in the various rugby unions who are currently pontificating about the future of this great tournament then I would offer up that it's weekend like this that demonstrate that the Heineken Cup is something very special that should be cherished.

Gutted to have lost but it couldn't have been to a better side and I will be a honorary Toulon supporter for the rest of the tournament.
If you don't go in hard it's not a tackle it's an insult.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Thank you to Toulon, the club, the supporters and the town

Post by fentiger »

+ 4 more here, fantastic weekend. Would recommend it to anyone who may be unsure about travelling to a match and staying in Toulon. Very friendly, as OP says, welcoming right from the start as we walked past a bar that was closed, got virtually dragged in and plied with wine for which they would accept no reward!
jamiewilkinson

Post by jamiewilkinson »

+2.

The two Toulon suppoters that showed us some of the life after the game were fantastic as well as every Toulon fan we met along the way, very respectful!
Captain Sensible

Post by Captain Sensible »

Thanks to all the toulon fans, we had a great time and couldn't be more thankful for such humble fans; the banter was great and can't remember how many said sorry because their team beat ours.
Hope we get toulon in the group stages next year so we can return and then reciprocate when they come to Welford road. Best wishes.
Tim _Tim_Tiger_Lily

Post by Tim _Tim_Tiger_Lily »

Here here! Fantastic weekend despite the result. Wonderful bunch of supporters.
Northenlad

Post by Northenlad »

Absolutely brilliant fans and club. Loved it.
If winning isn't everything, why do they bother keeping score?
GT1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GT1 »

Got back yesterday after w/e in Marseille & match thoroughly enjoying most of it, the one bad point having Toulon fans around us baying for Tigers blood throughout the game being as obnoxious as I've ever seen at a rugby match. Showing their true colours when Toby was kicking & staying silent when St Jonny had his go. I thought JW was outstanding by the way!!
Most of their fans were fine but this bear pit attitude is not somewhere I will be returning to!
RCT

Post by RCT »

GT1 wrote:Got back yesterday after w/e in Marseille & match thoroughly enjoying most of it, the one bad point having Toulon fans around us baying for Tigers blood throughout the game being as obnoxious as I've ever seen at a rugby match. Showing their true colours when Toby was kicking & staying silent when St Jonny had his go. I thought JW was outstanding by the way!!
Most of their fans were fine but this bear pit attitude is not somewhere I will be returning to!
As a RCT fan, I must accept this criticism. You are right. The vast majority of the public is very correct but about 10% disrespect opponents (When we play against a French team that is often worse).
I thank all Tigers fans for the atmosphere in the stadium and around the stadium.
The intensity of the match was impressive. Both teams made ​​a huge game.

Thank you again Sir JW. It's even better this year than previous years.

Good luck for the Premiership, you can do it.
falkie002

Post by falkie002 »

that was my first experience of French rugby they are completely nuts very passionate fans.
the idea of having a supporters village to get every one to mix
that would never happen at a football game
RUGBY ALL THE WAY OVER FOOTBALL
Toulon lovely place lovely fans would definitely go back even if tigers were not playing
ahartopp74

Post by ahartopp74 »

Now im back in the UK i would also like to offer my thanks to all concerend with Toulon. I had a great time in the fan village, including some impromtu passing with young Toulon fans. The passion and pride that their supporters showed was one of the highlights for me, having been to one french club game i have to admit this far outweighed it. And at times we gave as good as we got in terms of noise when we were on top. And the times i got patted on the back to say thank you for the game and your support was heartening, one of them even said that there will always be a part of leicester in the mayol. Lets hope one day we can return the favour.
TheproudTiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TheproudTiger »

Wow what a fantastic weekend we have just had.
We have been lucky enough to have had weekends in Brive and Biaritz but I can honestly say the weekend we have just had has topped the lot.
From the moment we arrived we were welcomed by everyone.
Walking down the main road people were saying "welcome to Toulon" and cars were pipping and shouting Tigers.
Maybe it helped that the four of us were wearing red berets with green and white stripes - infact we could have sold them many times with one Toulon fan offering us 50 euros for one beret!!!
We were interviewed by RCT for the web site, french tv and BBC East Midlands today.
Everywhere we went people were genuinely happy to talk to us and wanted to know all about our team and just talk to us about rugby.
Yes the atmosphere was very intence, the entire squad and all involved must have had goose bumps - but what a fantastic experience to learn from.
Our guys put their bodies on the line and made all of us proud to be Tigers coz that is what we all are...... Tigers.
We constantly read in our programme that we help our guys and in Toulon we did our bit.
We didn't loose ........ they won - and we are proud of our whole team.

For any Toulon supporters reading this I would like to say a big thank you for making us all feel so welcome and I am sure many Tiger supporters wish you well against Saracens.
Thank you RCT.
Lester Nick

Post by Lester Nick »

Yes..... I also had a great weekend, and thoroughly enjoyed meeting the Toulon fans. Made to feel very welcome... a great atmosphere in the town.... and some much needed sunshine and warmth! Went on the Away Supporters trip (as usual) and much credit goes to John Griffiths for his great organisation.