Do we want Sarries to get to HC Final?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mersey Tiger

Do we want Sarries to get to HC Final?

Post by Mersey Tiger »

As I understand it the HC final is the week before the Prem Final.
Therefore assuming that Tigers and Sarries get to the Prem final, would it be a good or bad thing from Tigers' perspective for Sarries to get to the HC Final as well.

If they did and got smashed up by Clermont then would that be good for us? :smt002

I invite thoughts and comments! :smt001
Neil Back is the Greatest!
kingneptuneii
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Do we want Sarries to get to HC Final?

Post by kingneptuneii »

well I know if I were a saffa *shudder* I wouldnt fancy playing Clermont/Munster in a cup final and THEN having to turn up a week later to face a Leicester team ready to beat me half to death so they can get their trophy back. :smt023

in all seriousness, we've seen tme and time again that tackling a league and HC double is a massivley daunting task, especially within th confines of the salary cap, in fact, its nigh on impossible. something has to give
Never mind the ball, get on with the game!!
barwelltiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by barwelltiger »

Would work 1 of 2 ways (presuming they get smashed) either they come back trying to prove a point or they will be really down and vunrable.. Personally I think it will be the first
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

AP SF 11/12 May
HC F 18 May
AP F 25 May

A team that has to play all three of these will be at a distinct disadvantage to one that only has the first and third to contend with.

Win or lose there would be a lot of mental motivation but physically it would be a huge mountain for Saracens. We should know.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
jamiewilkinson

Post by jamiewilkinson »

For our League hopes and flying the english premiership flag, yes.
To say we got knocked out by the winners of the HC would be nice though.
If they did get smashed in the final though I do think it would work in our adavntage, yes they would be more up for it but on the other hand they would be battered and bruised and may not be able to play 100% for long.
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

h's dad wrote:AP SF 11/12 May
HC F 18 May
AP F 25 May

A team that has to play all three of these will be at a distinct disadvantage to one that only has the first and third to contend with.

Win or lose there would be a lot of mental motivation but physically it would be a huge mountain for Saracens. We should know.
We did this in 2008/9 beating Irish in the AP final, then losing to Leinster the following week. It was a bridge too far.
Always a Tiger
tigerbrewer

Post by tigerbrewer »

yes because they are the only English side left in the competition and yes because it would be great to beat them in the AP final!
I already have my tickets for the final and really don't want to go through the agony of seeing Sarries beat us again
youngtiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by youngtiger »

In terms of our interests towards the league? Yes, it would be useful.

In terms of the fact that I find them a generally loathsome club, (this does not involve the supporters) and that if they were to lose then they would know where to stick that song about them being champions? No, I wish with all my heart that Saffas get absolutely beasted by either of the French teams in the HC and return to English league to have us do exactly the same.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

No because I am simply bored rigid with the bizarre doting media love affair with this club built upon spin, novelty and bad taste. As for just how they can afford to pay the wage bill of their existing squad plus still sign big names do not get me started! As a result they are beginning to look the only premiership team that rivals us or even exceeds us in terms of squad strength in depth.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

yes because the longer they are in the less focus and less durability they can apply to premiership

Not win it of course!!!
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

Absolutely not, partly because I dislike them because of their gimmicks and partly because I don't want to even have a chance of winning the HC. If they did they would probably cover their pitch with HC CHAMPIONS 2013 and between every break in play play we are the champions by Queen. Also I would like us to smash them in the final and leave them to stew on that over the summer.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Simple answer - yes. But we still have work to finish top 2 and win the SF. It is quite an assumption that we will be in the Final at this point.
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rdracup »

Definitely Not. Firstly they are the least likeable of any other Premiership Club. There are plenty of clubs that would get my support before sarries, including 10 other prem. sides, Munster, Toulon to name but 12. I expect Toulon will take them apart anyway.

But the second reason is momentum... do not underestimate it. 2 week prep. time for a final paradoxically can disadvantage the resting side... against one that has only 1 week to prepare. Logic says otherwise... but then logic says a jaunt to Dubai a few days before final was daft too.. and we all know what happened next.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

The opinion round here is that Sarries (plastic club that they are) will
have the better of Toulon at Twickenham. If that proves to be true I will be even more upset than I am at the moment.I also find it upsetting that I and many other Englishmen would rather a frog club wins than an other English one. How on earth did that happen?

Over the years we have had dislikes for several clubs. Coventry and Moseley.Swansea and Neath. Bath and Wasps in the pro era but I have never known such dislike for a club as the present London South Africans.
A life long Tiger
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

personally I wouldn't bet on them beating Toulon.