Tigers after the Final Whistle

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wolverhampton_tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: Tigers after the Final Whistle

Post by wolverhampton_tiger »

Captain Sensible they won and were happy to do a lap of honour, our lads gave their all, in a fantastic game but came up short, they did not want to celebrate that.
Norfolk & Goode
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Norfolk & Goode »

Spending all that time and money to watch live 2 great teams play a great game and you're annoyed and on a downer because you didn't get a wave, a strange perspective you have!
Ian S
Tiger Cub

Post by Ian S »

Norfolk & Goode wrote:Spending all that time and money to watch live 2 great teams play a great game and you're annoyed and on a downer because you didn't get a wave, a strange perspective you have!
So the Tigers never walk around Twickenham after a loss to acknowledge the travelling thousands then.?
It's a common form of appreciation in team sports
Norfolk & Goode
Silver Member
Silver Member

Here you go :smt039 feel better?
Ian S
Tiger Cub

Post by Ian S »

Norfolk & Goode wrote:Here you go :smt039 feel better?

:smt022
:smt030

Sorry you could not attend
Captain Sensible

Post by Captain Sensible »

N&G toys pram and armchair are words that come to mind!
Norfolk & Goode
Silver Member
Silver Member

Ian and Captain Fickle, sorry but my teddys well and truly tucked in. Genuinely glad you made it to Toulon though, I on the other hand played for my club and did the usual lap of honour after the game to our 12 travelling supporters and hopefully made their 14 mile trip worthwhile.

Sunday was also interesting, the youth team I coach had an awesome game against a touring Northampton side, but as we didn't do a lap of honour one of the dads has said he's jolly well annoyed and is a bit down.
EdinburghTiger

Post by EdinburghTiger »

jamiewilkinson wrote:After having an amazing weekend, we were some of the last to leave the stadium expecting the Tigers players to come out and applaud and thank our support. Really annoyed that they didnt. Sure they were disappointed as were we, but it wasnt easy for us all to make it out there. Tait and another player made a half hearted attempt.
But a real downer on the game afterwards.
Crane thanked the fans through Twitter today.
I am not surprised at all. There were many hundreds of Tigers supporters enjoying the sunshine around the marina on Saturday morning when the whole squad walked past heading for a restaurant after training at the ground. Geordan was just about the only one who bothered to say good morning, the rest just looked straight ahead as if we weren't even there. To hear that Crane has thanked the supporters on Twitter says it all. Maybe we should just follow the team through social media and save a load of money.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Maybe best if everyone just watches the games on TV then the players won't need to interact with those anoying and demanding supporters at all.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Northenlad

Post by Northenlad »

As someone who did attend and, with those sat around me, got a brief appreciative wave from some of the players I understand why they didn't do a lap to say thanks for coming!

They have never played in such a brutal game and probably needed to get into ice baths as soon as possible. They didn't want to disappear straight down the tunnel after the final whistle as that would have appeared churlish, but they needed to start recuperation immediately after such a battle and every minute counts!

They knew we were all there and they were all very appreciative of our support. They showed that on the pitch! Simple!
If winning isn't everything, why do they bother keeping score?
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

Hmm, there's a faint whiff of sour grapes in some of these posts. The fact is that this isn't the first time these comments have been made about the club. If I remember correctly a while back someone wrote to Cockers making the same point and got a surprise phone call from him to discuss the matter and he agreed that it would be nice if the players did acknowledge the travelling support. After all, we see it regularly when the visiting team at WR acknowledge their travelling fans, even if it is only a coach load and they lost. It confirms a bond between the club and its fans.

Tigers on the other hand have a very tight relationship within the club but not with their fan base. Sure, the individual players are fine but the club's attitude is largely only to be interested in the health of our wallets. They know that if someone said they would be opening an envelope on Orkney wearing a Tigers shirt someone here would be organising a coach from WR to go and watch and support the event.

A few years ago Mrs GS and I cycled from Lands End to John o'Groats to raise money and awareness for Matt Hampson. The hardest part of the exercise wasn't the planning, the training, paying for all the travel and accommodation or even doing the ride in a heatwave. No, it was getting the club to even acknowledge we existed. And all we wanted was some publicity in a programme to help with the fund raising. We never got it.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
Off Piste Tiger

Post by Off Piste Tiger »

They came down the pitch a few yards to acknowledge the away fans at The Saints the week before.
I would think that after that brutal game they would not feel doing a lap of honour was appropriate. Quick wave and down the tunnel seems fine to me
Captain Sensible

Post by Captain Sensible »

N&G or should i say NFG
So pleased you enjoyed your weekend! You didn't mention the medal you didn't get!!!!!
We remember the days standing on the crumbie when Lewis Moody used to chat to the fans if he wasn't playing. Unfortunately those days are long gone, much to the detriment of the club!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

At the end of the game before leaving the pitch several of the players did walk back across the grass to wave and acknowledge their supporters. They were applauded by both sets of fans. I agree that often they don't show their appreciation of the travelling support but on this occasion they did and the posts that say different are unfair.
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

the players I know do recognise the importance to the fans of getting applause and make every effort to do it.....

a few points on Sunday though

* They lost - remember when Johnno's England did a lap of honour at Old Trafford after the All Blacks stuffed them and the slagging off they received for it? I know a lap of honour was not what was being asked for, but...

* they had just been in a war - they did not have a victory to ease the aches and pains for a while and probably felt that they had let the fans down (ridculous I know but...) and had little to celebrate.

Lets not slag them off for this - it has been refreshing that this forum has largely recognised that we were squeezed out by a better team on the day and that nothing was left on the field in terms of attitude and commitment.

trust me - they totally value the amazing support we give them home and away, no more so that the recent trip to the allotments in Northampton.
Less is more....