Toulon v TIGERS!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

SilebyTiger

Toulon v TIGERS!

Post by SilebyTiger »

Here we go then, the week before the big game.

Can we do the almost impossible against the rich boys?

I'm not expecting us to win, I just want us to go there and leave nothing left in the tank. If we win then great, if we don't then at least we gave it our best shot. Who knows though, if we play how we did yesterday and lift it another 5%, Toulon won't know what's hit them.
thunderbirds

Re: Toulon v TIGERS!

Post by thunderbirds »

nor me but if they don't turn up and we play like we did yesterday who knows? Should be a good weekend anyway and be great to get in the warm!
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I have every hope and belief that we can and will win next Sunday. I expect Castro to try to destroy their front row when he comes on as it will be in his interest to do so and for him to try and persuade them to meet Tigers valuation of him. It will be like every game of rugby I have played or watched. forwards win their battle and you are likely to win and I do believe that our pack are going particularly well at the moment. The pairing of Parling and Slater I wouldn't change for anything, The front row is as good as it gets, and the back row is beginning to work well as a unit (Crane or TTT is another issue). Manu and the rest of the 3/4 are beginning to flow and I thought that Tait had as good a game for us last Sat as I have seen.

Therefore I think we will win if we play like we did on Sat
Last edited by trendylfj on Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hehehehehehehehe
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

We are going to France early to acclimatise and train, sounds like we are taking this game very seriously.
After this weekends result I am now confident we can win, I said elsewhere it was more to do with the attitude and the manner of our game that would give us an indication.
We were very good in all areas and took the opportunities well, I don't expect we will get quite so mant try scoring opportunities on sunday, but I do now believe we can take them when they come.
I am confident if we start with pretty much the same starting line up we can get a win by a clear margin.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Hinckley Bob
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Hinckley Bob »

tigerburnie wrote: I am confident if we start with pretty much the same starting line up we can get a win by a clear margin.
Now that is positive thinking! :smt023
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

I think we will win. Our forwards are a match for any team in world rugby and should provide us with some quality ball. We also have quite a few players who take it up to another level on the hard grounds, Manu and Croft in particular will be looking forward to cutting loose on some firm pitches. It will be tight and neither side will ever be out of the game completely but Tigers will edge it by 1-3 points, or a Jordan Crane drop goal :smt002
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

If Tigers are to win then the pack must match Toulon. I'm really looking forward to Cole vs. Sheridan, Armitage vs. Salvi and pretty much every other head to head in the forwards. My only concern is that Toulon's strength is throughout the 23 which, IMO, could mean that if they are ahead and have got momentum then the likes of Mermoz, Suta, Van Niekerk etc. could come and take the game away from Tigers. But that said Waldrom, Castro and Logo (hopefully he will be fit) will make an impact of their own from the bench.

I'm hopeful as the core of this squad (Youngs, Cole, Parling, Croft etc.) have lost a few big European matches away from home (Leinster, Ulster, Clermont x2) and this could be the time they rise to the occasion. Although my head is telling me we will probably see a repeat of the Leinster quarter where nobody criticised the effort and endeavour of the side but they were basically outplayed by an excellent opponent (and the ref).

IMO Murphy should start if he can with Tait on the bench ahead of Smith. I do think the Tigers have a good chance and hopefully they will play with Saturday's attacking intent. It is a very tough one to call and it's a classic case of heart says Tigers but head says Toulon!!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Hinckley Bob wrote:
tigerburnie wrote: I am confident if we start with pretty much the same starting line up we can get a win by a clear margin.
Based on what I've seen Bob, we all know it is going to be a bear pit over there,but if any team can turn in great performances when they have to , our history and recent events show we can do it.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
GT1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GT1 »

As I posted on the Saints match thread some interesting comments from Cockers about how we will approach these Big games, their going early & intend to enjoy the experience in the south of France(not too much) be relaxed & give it a go!!
It sounds like they have thought about our previous big away games & changed their routine!
Our group intend to enjoy the south of France also :smt023
Northenlad

Post by Northenlad »

We, like the squad, are arriving early and thoroughly intend enjoying ourselves for 5 nights! If we win it will be the icing on the cake!

After the display on Saturday, where we were surrounded by Saints fans for 70 minutes, I believe!
If winning isn't everything, why do they bother keeping score?
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

Hinckley Bob wrote:
Overconfident in my eyes!!
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

WiggoTiger wrote: Overconfident in my eyes!!
That's the difference between me and you wiggo,my glass is always full and life is very good.
I saw enough at the weekend to show me the signs are right.Nothing certain in life , let alone sport, but there's no point going if you're not confident in yourselves.

COME ON YOU TIGERRRrrrsssss

:smt027 :smt027 :smt027
and Cockers and MOC.................. :smt004
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

tigerburnie wrote:
WiggoTiger wrote: Overconfident in my eyes!!
That's the difference between me and you wiggo,my glass is always full and life is very good.
I saw enough at the weekend to show me the signs are right.Nothing certain in life , let alone sport, but there's no point going if you're not confident in yourselves.

COME ON YOU TIGERRRrrrsssss

:smt027 :smt027 :smt027
and Cockers and MOC.................. :smt004
Realistic TB, been very optimistic before and seen it fall away in front of my eyes on many occassions.....Brive at the Arms Park, Wasps at Twickers and Millenium.....etc etc I rest my case!!
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

No one gave us a chance in Paris, no one gave us a chance in Munster, or against Munster in Cardiff, but we won.
There's a difference between confidence and certainty,we will not know untill sunday who is the best,but untill then I will believe my team are good enough.
As I said that's the difference between us,I'm a can do sort of person and I believe in those who try can achieve. Thought you are a teacher, do you not instill self belief in those you teach at your school wiggo?
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

I do instill belief, and fight to succeed. But also teach the realities of the world...............do your best at all times, but sometimes we may fall short (which unless we play like Saturday and Toulon play like Saints I feel we will fall short as our game management may go back to kick possession away).
Before one can teach all these skills though, the feral young have to be taught how to behave!! Sport does help in this..........MGove needs to teach at my school for a week before slagging teachers off!! Rant OVER!! :smt013
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!