Tigers vs. Chiefs

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs. Chiefs

Post by tigerburnie »

Our England players are back to us on the back of a beating in Cardiff, one player may have had a less than dazzling game and one of our "fans" turns on him. How does that help the club exactly?
Now were we to get a considered point about the failings during the game that could be open for discusion..........we can live in hope.
Smudge made some very good points about the conditions,several made remarks about where we just didn't quite click,all constructive,not always positive,but something we can have a debate about.
We won what may well be a decisive victory, remember last year we lost this corresponding fixture.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

If a user has only an emoticon to contribute to a discussion maybe it's a bit pointless posting it. And if you are going to use irony/joking sarcasm maybe you should add that your post is made in this vein to prevent me getting PMs saying "the usual suspects" are back to personal attacking, bickering back and forth etc etc.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Tiger_Dad

Post by Tiger_Dad »

Average attacking performance, good defence. Much like the majority of our season.

Exeter are a much improved team and played well however with that much talent in the Tigers XV we have to be putting teams like that to the sword. If we're going to do anything this season that is probably the last time we can afford to play like that.

For me this season has been one of frustration and I suggest it's time to reconsider our approach. It's a shame but I'm not sure how much further MOC can take us...
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

This was a game we really had to win and in the event it was a close run thing.Exeter played well.
Looking at RC in the stands his body language was of a chap under severe pressure, I have rarely seen him so anxious.
I wondered if he would use the bench to our advantage but I think the pressure got to him and he wouldn't risk it.
I would have brought Kitchener on as a fresh replacement for Slater even though he had a good game.
Sadly Castro looked anything but an international TH when he came on.
Clearly to have replaced Toby with Ford would have been a gamble but this far in the season ,it shouldn't have been.
I hope we win everything from now on and play the champagne rugby we aspire to, winning at least one piece of silver and better still, two.
If we don't, there will be changes. Either way, it will be an interesting few weeks.
A life long Tiger
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

To come away from Sandy Park with anything these days is a good result. I like Exeter's style. They remind me of the old day's but obviously a little fitter with their chunky no nonsense props and multi-talented backrow and the backs aren't bad either. They are very direct but can also play a bit when it open's up and I think we did well to stop them. Every game has good and not so good moment's but to keep them down to nine point's at home is a good thing I think. From an attacking point of view I think it should only get better from here on in. I thought the drifting when Tait got stopped short of the line was unfortunate. I wouldn't credit their defence with that one. It was a pretty basic error from us but as the win was achieved I'm sure there will be some ribbing for it!
Cheery chappy
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Smurphswillgetya wrote:
The Tigers should have known it was going to be cold and the Coaches should have planned to do something about it. It is very short sighted. In addition the players should have gone to Serbia for preparation and not pratting about with Yoga and 40 degree temperatures in the week. It shows how far we fallen under Cockers that we cant beat lowly teams like Exeter with a bonus point :smt003 :smt003
That is probably the most sensible post you've ever made. :smt002

Anyway glad we have 4 more points in the bag as Exeeter are difficult to beat but I can't see how, with the way we are playing at the moment, we are going to get to HQ or past Toulon. Hopefully Tigers will ramp up on the run-in.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Tough game against a good team and we ground our the win. Crane and Croft looking fitter, Slater should have been man of the match as he was excellent in every department and Benny kicked us to victory.

Sure we didn't play much flashy rugby but in the conditions we got the job done.

The minimal use of subs was a good call, the Chiefs emptied the bench and it took away their momentum.

Hopefully a full week at Oval Park and an improvement in conditions will see a more coherent and flowing display next weekend.

Oh and the Bikram Yoga is hardcore stuff, could have been noticeable in our players stamina which was better than the Chiefs.
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

The Boy Dave wrote:To come away from Sandy Park with anything these days is a good result. I like Exeter's style. They remind me of the old day's but obviously a little fitter with their chunky no nonsense props and multi-talented backrow and the backs aren't bad either. They are very direct but can also play a bit when it open's up and I think we did well to stop them. Every game has good and not so good moment's but to keep them down to nine point's at home is a good thing I think. From an attacking point of view I think it should only get better from here on in. I thought the drifting when Tait got stopped short of the line was unfortunate. I wouldn't credit their defence with that one. It was a pretty basic error from us but as the win was achieved I'm sure there will be some ribbing for it!
Agree with your comments. Good reasoned comments. Now this is what the forum needs more off.
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

1) To answer longlivethecrumbie, temperature was about the same as Toulouse game but had biting wind added, but still not as cold as the home game against Clermont about 4 years go
2) Backs were generally poor but as also pointed out difficult to hold a wet ball in those conditions
3) Realised that Manu looks a bit like Gok Wan.....and thought that apart from big hit on Arscott , he played like him
4) Terrific battle between the two front 3s
5) Thought our back 5 were brilliant all game
6) Any points from a match at Sandy Park are hard earned
7) A win is a win - well done boys!
8) Now can't wait to host my two Pests pals in 3 weeks time
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Some teams are more than the sum of their parts.
Some teams are less than the sum of their parts.

Which of the two are we?
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Manu needs to get over England. Sorry to see his decline and hope he gets some oomph back.
I have been praying for MOC to leave for three years - will it come true? :smt004
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Mat
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mat »

There is no decline in Manu we have not given him ball at the right time thats all. Yesterday were not the conditions for running rugby. It was a day for winning no matter what. If we had lost yesterday we would not have made the prem final it as simple as that we have to finsh 2nd to have home quarter we wont win on the road agaisnt quisn or Saracens. High pressure game against a tough side. A great away win against a good Exeter side who ralrely loose at home.We are back in with a shout of 2nd place now. Well done leicester
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Mat wrote:There is no decline in Manu we have not given him ball at the right time thats all. Yesterday were not the conditions for running rugby. It was a day for winning no matter what. If we had lost yesterday we would not have made the prem final it as simple as that we have to finsh 2nd to have home quarter we wont win on the road agaisnt quisn or Saracens. High pressure game against a tough side. A great away win against a good Exeter side who ralrely loose at home.We are back in with a shout of 2nd place now. Well done leicester
:smt023 +1

Though I'm more optimistic that we could find a result away to Quins/Sarries if we had to :smt002
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

sam16111986 wrote: Slater should have been man of the match as he was excellent in every department
I agree. If it's any consolation, in The Times, he was.

I hope Warren Gatland's taken a look. He's not really been mentioned (other than a couple of months back by Will Greenwood in The Telegraph), but I think he's a good shout for a midweek "bolter" to go to Australia in the summer. If not, he should be in the England touring party.
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

Who caught the ball from the last penalty and thought it a good idea to bring it into play almost giving Exeter a turn over which could have been disastrous? Time was up and the kick should have been left to run out of play.