Amazing sporting streaks

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Amazing sporting streaks

Post by MrPartridge »

I appreciate this is a rugby forum but I am sure many of us are wider sports fans.

I'm not sure if people are aware but this month has seen two pretty amazing sporting streaks. Black Caviar won her 24th consecutive race (14th Group 1 win). An almost unprecedented achievement in horse racing and you can read more via http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Caviar

At the same time the Miami Heat have won 25 consecutive NBA games and are now closing in on the 1971-72 LA Lakers all-time record of 33. If you factor in the amount of travel the Heat have clocked up during the streak alone it is an impressive achievement. Not only that, in streak game 24 they trailed the Cleveland Cavs by 27 points with less than 20 minutes to go and screamed back to win 98-95. To put that single win in perspective only 6 teams trailing by 25 or more in the seconf-half of a match in the last 2000 games have pulled off a win. Not only that, Miami won game 25 after trailing by 11 and win 23 when trailing the Boston Celtics by 17. If you know anything about basketball, those stats are almost unreal. Read more via http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nb ... s/2011947/

It got me thinking about 'what is the greatest ever sporting winning streak'. So please do add any suggestions. I always thought Jahangir Khan's 555 consecutive squash wins was stunning (from 1981-6), Ed Moses 122 consecutive 400m hurdles wins from 1977-87 and Orel Hershiser's 59 consecutive innings pitched without giving up a run were all great examples of utter domination of the sporting opposition...
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Re: Amazing sporting streaks

Post by h's dad »

I clicked on expecting Erica Roe
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Sorry to disappoint...

Incidentally the Heat streak is now up to 26 wins...
kingneptuneii
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kingneptuneii »

the tigers record of 57 games unbeaten at home in a period that stretched from 30 December 1997 to 30 November 2002 and included 52 successive wins was pretty impressive :smt023
Never mind the ball, get on with the game!!
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

57 unbeaten is a considerable achievement. Not quite in the Jose Mourhino bracket (see http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... -Liga.html) but good all the same.

We could do with going on a similar run over the remainder of the season and start of next.

Incidentally, the Heat keep rolling - 27 consecutive now.