Tigers vs. Chiefs

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Tigers vs. Chiefs

Post by PM76 »

After two uninspiring England performances the focus returns to club action with Tigers going to Sandy Park to face a Chiefs side who won away at Quins during their last match. This game starts a run of 4 “must win games” with Tigers facing Saints (A), Toulon (A) and Wasps (H). Four wins and Tigers will be in a very strong position. With Quins and Sarries facing each other this weekend a win could see Tigers push into the top two or at least make the top 3 very close. A trip to Sandy Park is never easy, and Tigers don’t have the best record vs. Exeter but a win must be the target.

Selection will be interesting with some players, hopefully, returning from injury and others returning from England’s trouncing in Cardiff. Personally I would bring T.Youngs, B.Youngs, Flood and Manu straight into the XV, the first three haven’t played that much over the past weeks due to rotation/ selection/ rest weekends while Manu needs to hit form before the Toulon match. I would keep Cole and Parling on the bench to rest them. IMO Croft should be left out of the 23, if Mafi is fit, as he has played a few consecutive games, but if Steve is still out then Crofty should be on the bench. IMO Bowden and Goneva/ Tait should be on the bench to provide some impact options if things aren’t going well. Therefore I’d pick a side of:

Ayerza, Youngs, Logo (Castro starts if he is fit)
Deacon (Slater if Deacs is out), Kitchener
Mafi (B. Deacon if Mafi is not fit), Waldrom, Salvi
Youngs, Flood
Allen, Manu
Thompstone, Murphy (Tait if Smurph is injured or he is being managed for Toulon), Morris

Hawkins, Stanko, Cole, Parling, Crane/ Croft, Harrison, Bowden, Tait/ Goneva

We’ve heard all season from RC that Tigers have been playing poorly and winning but now is the time to start playing well and winning because Tigers won’t be able to go to Exeter, Saints and Toulon play poorly and win!! This could still be a very successful season and now is the time to make it one :smt027 :smt027 :smt027 :smt027
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs. Chiefs

Post by sam16111986 »

I'd be tempted to go Deacon/Slater in the second row if the weather conditions are bad. As seen against Wuss in the rain, away from home that combo gives us a lot more ferrocity in the tight and we maintain a good set piece.

I'd like to see us go Wadrom, Salvi, Crane in the backrow with Brett or Croft on the bench depending on weather forecast. Go big and physical as we know the chiefs will.
Hinckley Bob
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Hinckley Bob »

I think Tigers can benefit from England's poor showing in Cardiff. Had they won, the players would have returned to the club having won the grand slam and being back to the "day job". As it is, they will feel that they have something to prove and Tigers can reap the rewards.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Our players looked tired yesterday,pretty sure none of them will fancy 80 minutes. Exeter away is getting tougher for everyone and they have had uninterupted training with their squad. I guess it will the middle of the week before we have an idea as to who is fit and who isn't. Mafi back would be a big plus and also Allen.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Round 18: March 22/23/24
Sale Sharks v Bath Rugby
Gloucester Rugby v London Welsh
London Irish v Worcester Warriors
London Wasps v Northampton Saints
Exeter Chiefs v Leicester Tigers
Saracens v Harlequins

We have one tough run in and really do need to win this weekend,but it ain't going to be easy,looking at these fixtures we could get some help,especially with the Sorries v Quinns game,even a draw would be good for us. If Sale win that would damage Barfs chances of a top four spot, the Pests and the Sinners head to head are also both fighting for 4th, I doubt Oxford will turn Glaws over though. So we win by one point and it will be a good result.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Referee: Tim Wigglesworth
Assistant referees: Gareth Copsey, Paul Burton
Television match official: Geoffrey Warren
Timekeeper: Eric Bullion

Officials for this game.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

I would go for
1. Ayerza
2. Youngs
3. Cole
4. Slater
5. Kitchener
6. Croft (C)
7. Salvi
8. Crane
9. Youngs
10. Flood
11. Morris
12. Allen
13. Tuilagi
14. Thompestone
15. Tait

16. Mulipola
17. Hawkins
18. Balmain
19. Parling
20. Waldrom
21. Harrison
22. Ford
23. Goneva
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

kpj tiger wrote:I would go for
1. Ayerza
2. Youngs
3. Cole
4. Slater
5. Kitchener
6. Croft (C)
7. Salvi
8. Crane
9. Youngs
10. Flood
11. Morris
12. Allen
13. Tuilagi
14. Thompestone
15. Tait

16. Mulipola
17. Hawkins
18. Balmain
19. Parling
20. Waldrom
21. Harrison
22. Ford
23. Goneva
Looks good to me, though I expect Parling may start and sub him in the second half.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

For the first time, unable to go. I would be very surprised if we come away with more than a LBP. Four points would be wonderful!
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Guinness&Nuts
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Guinness&Nuts »

I think Cole and Parling need a rest, therefor select them on the bench and if required bring them on later in the game.

Croft needs game time and I would again select him as captain alongside Salvi and the Tank.

As for the backs I think the Eng contingent will have a point to prove and I expect Tuilagi, Flood & Youngs to come out firing. I hope Tait gets the nod at FB. He has had enough time bedding in at FB. He has the skills to be a real asset, he just needs to become more consistant in the parts of his game which can be worked upon, i.e. tactical kicking and solidity under the high ball .... enough said start performing!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

kpj tiger wrote:I would go for
1. Ayerza
2. Youngs
3. Cole
4. Slater
5. Kitchener
6. Croft (C)
7. Salvi
8. Crane
9. Youngs
10. Flood
11. Morris
12. Allen
13. Tuilagi
14. Thompestone
15. Tait

16. Mulipola
17. Hawkins
18. Balmain
19. Parling
20. Waldrom
21. Harrison
22. Ford
23. Goneva

Possibly Mafi to the bench if fit?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

1.Ayerza
2.Youngs
3.Mulipola
4.Slater
5.Kitchener
6.Crane (C)
7.Salvi
8.Waldrom
9.Youngs
10.Flood
11.Thompstone
12.Allen (if fit, if not then Bowden)
13.Smith
14.Tait
15.Morris

16.Hawkins
17.Balmain
18.Cole
19.Parling
20.Mafi/Croft (depending on whether Mafi is fit and whether Cockers rests Croft)
21.Harrison
22.Ford
23.Manu

I would pick this team but I can see Cockers starting with Manu and Cole. I would rather see Morris at 15 than Tait as he is the successor to Smurph in my opinion. How much has he improved this season! I think Flood and Youngs have to get as much game time together as possible until the Toulon game, they need to gel if we are to have any chance against Toulon.
RWA
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by RWA »

Why do international athletes need a rest, after having played 80 minutes of rugby (some less) 7 days previous ?!!! It's ridiculous ! Any player worth his salt will be bursting to put on the Tigers shirt again and prove that they are worthy of a Tigers place, an England place and a potential Lions squad place.

All England players should start.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Saw Cockers on EMT he was saying the internationals will all be playing.
RWA
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by RWA »

...and so they should. To rest Croft is madness. He's played a handful of games in the last 12 months, so needs game time if he's going to get on the plane to Australia.