Your help needed to keep Richard III in Leicester

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Knightonian

Your help needed to keep Richard III in Leicester

Post by Knightonian »

Hello all

RICHARD 111 TO STAY IN LEICESTER

This may seem a repetition of another thread but its time now for us all to stand up and be counted.

This is part of our heritage and the history of our great city and we need to make sure we don't lose it.

You will know that the bones recently exhumed from Grey Friars in Leicester have been confirmed as being those of King Richard III. Since the announcement that the bones would be interred in Leicester Cathedral, various other bodies have laid claim to the remains. If you support the interment of the remains of King Richard III at Leicester Cathedral please sign the e-petition below and ask your family, friends and contacts to do the same.

Over 10,000 people have petitioned for York while just 3,700 have petitioned for Leicester. If you want Richard III here in Leicester sign today!

I don't normally believe in requesting people petition but on this occasion I feel quite strongly that these remains should not be moved from Leicester

Hands off our King

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/39708

If the link doesn't work copy the URL and it will take you straight there.
Rizzo

Re: Your help needed to keep Richard III in Leicester

Post by Rizzo »

Already signed - and the subject is fully under discussion on the other thread a few below this.

As I understand it now, the Ministry of Justice has said it is up to the Licence holder (University of Leicester) and York Minster has formally said it is happy for the remains to be interred in Leicester Cathedral.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

the whole York petition is some local councillor trying to make a name for they MP campaign no doubt
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21753034

Seems the Yorkists want to start another war of the roses,quite sad really.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Zdzislaw

Post by Zdzislaw »

I'd like for Richard III's remains to be buried in Leicester but hand-on-heart, despite living in Leicestershire for over 50 years, I have to say that York has a much stronger claim. Afetr all, York was his power base. Gloucester a;so has a clain as he was Duke of Gloucester. Then of course there is his place of birth, Fotheringham, or where his wife was buried. The test is, I think, where would he have liked to have been buried. It's most unlikely he would have chosen Leicester, unless it was to have been at the site of where he was slain. He did after all say he was prepared to die in battle to keep the crown. I know that the terms of the licence that was granted to Leicester University included that he be buried at the nearest sanctified place for burial, but I think that the location ought to be debated by historians. Sadly, the local politicians making the case for a burial in Leicester are thinking only of it being a boom to tourism. Even sadder, the discovery of his remains has excited only a minority of the population in Leicester. York is a much grander setting. York Minster existed at the time Richard III lived. He ought to be buried under the rites that existed at the time. Leicester Cathedral is not a fitting place.
Eon B
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Eon B »

Personally I think we should consider the traditional values and culture of Leicester and say no this.

In the civil war we were not a Royalist city and I see no reason to take up this modern fad for 'royalism'