Fed up with the petty squabbling

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Phil B
Super User
Super User

Re: Fed up with the petty squabbling

Post by Phil B »

I would say its "an" honest laugh, but I suspect, sadly, it might be "a". Grammar was never my strongest subject. (It was, Chemistry!!, and Maths!!)
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
chappie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chappie »

I have my reasons why my spelling is poor, that said it really gets under my skin when pulled up on here about my spelling and grammar! :smt012

These people know who they are, so one for the Moderators: Anyone found to be belittling posters about spelling and grammar should get a one month bad! :smt023 Or be put in stocks on the pitch at half time and we the people that find spelling very hard could throw rotten Tomatos at them? :smt040
Franck Tournaire Number 1 fan.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Ze Stade Fan wrote:(BTW is it "a" or "an" honest laugh?)
ZSF - I'm assuming this was a genuine question :smt002 I have always worked on the basis of the sound of the following word. If the word has a vowel (A,E,I,O,U) sounding start then it's 'An' or 'an', it if has a consonant (Remaining letters of the alphabet) sounding start then is 'A' or 'a'.

A Howling wind; A Cat

An Honest mistake - the starting sound (at least to me) is the 'O'; An artist.

etc etc

It's the sound rather than the physical spelling (I think!), I'm not A teacher but seem to remember this, hope it, and the following link helps :smt003 (Just AN example from google!)

http://www.englishclub.com/pronunciation/a-an.htm

P.S. Please don't ban me for a month for 'trying' to assist with grammar :smt003 :smt003
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

WhitecapTiger wrote:
ZSF - I'm assuming this was a genuine question :smt002 I have always worked on the basis of the sound of the following word. If the word has a vowel (A,E,I,O,U) sounding start then it's 'An' or 'an', it if has a consonant (Remaining letters of the alphabet) sounding start then is 'A' or 'a'.

A Howling wind; A Cat

etc etc

It's the sound rather than the physical spelling (I think!), I'm not A teacher but seem to remember this, hope it, and the following link helps :smt003 (Just AN example from google!)

P.S. Please don't ban me for a month for 'trying' to assist with grammar :smt003 :smt003

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Not sure it's that easy.

Let's squabble abour English Grammar!!
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

If the squabbling ends........I'm off!! I know I annoy some people but I say what I believe in.............sorry for offending those that do not like it!

When it becomes extremely personal to Forum users I feel a ban is in order, I love the banter from everyone even TB, Smurphs etc......its not like a brick through the house windows, lets all calm down and start moaning about the Tigers again!!

Where was I........Cockers... :smt013 :smt022 :smt013 :smt022
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

WhitecapTiger wrote:

A Howling wind; A Cat

etc etc

Well that's a free English lesson by someone who is, by birth, more competent than me ! So, as we say in French, I won't spit on it!
:smt023
Nemo auditur propriam turpitudinem allegans
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

I am enjoying this thread.
welshy08

Post by welshy08 »

Look professional Rugby is simply a product.
You don't see them getting nasty or trying to offend each other on the Colgate website do you? Thats how silly and sad you are insulting essentially people who dare consumer a different product.

Our product though is all about manufacturing and playing on differences. It puts us all in teams and groups and exploits and profits greatly from these differences. I post on Planet Rugby Forum and some of the stuff there is brutal. Attack dogs within attack dog cliques within cliques of Attack Dogs - spewing bigotry rudeness and bile everywhere. The mods couldn;t care less about the real rude and contemptable shark pool they have manufactured over there. If some of the stuff over there was said on twitter people would get arrested.

Sometimes think if rugby can't survive without the sort of "banter" that goes on over there..should it?

It makes this sport - and it's forums simply a sounding board for some extreme bigotry.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

welshy08 wrote: I post on Planet Rugby Forum and some of the stuff there is brutal. Attack dogs within attack dog cliques within cliques of Attack Dogs - spewing bigotry rudeness and bile everywhere. The mods couldn;t care less about the real rude and contemptable shark pool they have manufactured over there. If some of the stuff over there was said on twitter people would get arrested.

Sometimes think if rugby can't survive without the sort of "banter" that goes on over there..should it?

It makes this sport - and it's forums simply a sounding board for some extreme bigotry.
Planet rugby is an open site for all sides from all nations, so there is a clear rivalry.
This site is a club site about this club and will therefore have a different feel to it.
Some of the forums have seperate areas for national or non club rugby, ours is quite different to a lot of the other sites and is run more as family site and moderated accordingly.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

There is not much wrong with our site if you compare it with most others.
I don't have any issues with the moderators.
A life long Tiger
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

I think our moderators are the best around. They are unbiased and fair compared to some I have seen on other forums. :smt023
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

yellow_balaclava_hunter wrote:
Rizzo wrote:
yellow_balaclava_hunter wrote:I think that the behaviour of the moderators on here recently has been utterly disgraceful which hasn't helped the situation. I think it is time that they were replaced.

Any forum user is free to complain in the above situation directly to the Club, preferably giving reasons and examples for basis of their complaint.
I shouldn't have to complain to the club, certain moderators should do the right thing and resign.
At the moment YBH, you seem to be the only person of this opinion. I say this not to put you down, but because I want to find out why you are saying this. I have only visited the forum a few times in the last 6-9 months, and only looked at a handul of topics, so have probably not seen the sort of things that fleabane is talking about.

Everyone is entitled to their views, but if they are strong attacks on people's behaviour, without any explanation, it could be seen as a purely personal vendetta - "throw enough mud and some it will stick" sort of thing. Isn't this the sort of thing that everyone is generally complaining about, regardless of whether they feel anything can be done about it?

Give us some explanation as to why you have this, obviously strongly held, view and you may get others to agree with you. At the moment, as I said at the start, you are the only one.
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

I like the style of the moderators.

Havent noticed much petty squabbling except about spelling. To thoe teachers whose big egos are so great, you need to go on a course called,
"Growing up for teachers who have retired." also known as
"The life after spelling tests end course."

The role of spelling has been downplayed in all written matter over the last 10-15 years, especially exams. If the written words are understood then the spelling intention is clear enough. There were always some people about 50 years ago who thought that badly spelled English was in quality slightly above the turd of a sheep. The reality of marking and assessing such language was to perhaps penalise to the extent of 3 marks in a 100 with a maximum of 5. In fact if words are used and understood then they cannot possible be penalised below a score of 2 o3 3 out of 5.

The era of the pompous and autocratic teacher has gone!!
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

To be replaced with the era of the semi-literate and their excusers it would seem (dyslexics excluded).
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

I can live with the usual obvious "typos" and shrug off the modern trend
where anything goes.
What really annoys me is the ignorant use of the word "of" instead
of "have".
It was used three times in an email I received yesterday from "Homebase".
It is not up to me to correct anyone's spelling but this sort of thing makes
my blood boil and despair of the educational system in the UK.
Last edited by Smudge on Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A life long Tiger