17. David Wilson
18. Joe Marler
19. Courtney Lawes
20. Tom Croft
21. Ben Youngs
22. Freddie Burns
23. Billy Twelvetrees

Courtesy of the RFU site.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Re: England team's up!

Post by TTRITH »

So Ben Youngs gets dropped (or rotated) but Chris Ashton and Mike Brown don't?
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

No surprises. Squad players like Vunipola, Care given a run out. Strong replacements bench. Should be too strong for Italy.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I would tend to agree with the rotation of Care/Youngs, let YBY start in the more difficult matches and give Care a run out against Italy. I am surprised that Ashton is still starting though,thought he might have been on the bench too.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

Is it me or has Crofty been selected too early back into the England set up?
He is on the bench, more than likely to come on. What happens if he gets a bad knock again, thats Tigers messed up yet again.
Surely it would have been more useful to rest him till the summer at international level!!
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

You could be right wiggo, but reading in the press I think it is Crofty himself that wants to play,possibly with an eye on a plane to Australia. He knows if he is fit enough I would hope and we seem to have managed his return well.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Grinsteadtiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Grinsteadtiger »

Can anyone do me the honour of explaining why YBY has been rested from the start, surely now would have been an ideal time to see how the excellent partnership with Floody would fit into the England set up. He could at least have spent the first half before being subbed. Surely if you have the minset that this is an easier game then now is the time for a bit of experiment for the future or shall we just worry about a win at all costs.

Wade,Varndell etc should be given a look in at any level just for the pure fun of it. Hell what do I know I'm only a Tiger fan afterall
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Grinsteadtiger wrote:Can anyone do me the honour of explaining why YBY has been rested from the start, surely now would have been an ideal time to see how the excellent partnership with Floody would fit into the England set up. He could at least have spent the first half before being subbed. Surely if you have the minset that this is an easier game then now is the time for a bit of experiment for the future or shall we just worry about a win at all costs.

Wade,Varndell etc should be given a look in at any level just for the pure fun of it. Hell what do I know I'm only a Tiger fan afterall
I'm pretty sure Tom Varndell is not in the EPS,so is not under consideration,but I'm sure Wade is and could have been considered.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

It's too good a team for Italy IMO.
The most interesting selection is Vunipola. It will be good to see how he goes against the mighty Castro!

If he does well (and i suspect he will) hopefully he will then stsrt v Wales and I expect him to do a much better job v Adam Jones than Marler (who IMO is the main cause of England's poor scrummaging this 6N).

Hope Floody has a stormer and really puts his hand up for selection next week!

Re Ashton; I think it's right to give him another go, hopefully he may see more ball and nip in for a couple of tries, which will help his confidence no end, and therefore England's cause v Wales.
Soggypitch
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I think Italy getting their leader back will lift them and he is still one of the worlds great number 8's, still think England will win this one.
Possibly going to Murrayfield to watch the Welsh game,look out for a Tigers shirt.. :smt002
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Grinsteadtiger wrote:Can anyone do me the honour of explaining why YBY has been rested from the start, surely now would have been an ideal time to see how the excellent partnership with Floody would fit into the England set up. He could at least have spent the first half before being subbed. Surely if you have the minset that this is an easier game then now is the time for a bit of experiment for the future or shall we just worry about a win at all costs.
I am firmly in your camp think its criminal that BY and TF the best half back pairing in England are not starting, its all down to SL capitulating to the so called rugby pundits demands and clammerings for DC to start. Its about time SL stood up and be counted and play the best half back combination and not bend in the wind just to appease DC and the media! Case in point was dropping TY for Hartley and we all know that was a disaster and Ben has done nothing to deserve being dumped on the bench. :smt013

Not happy rant over (for now)
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Butchers Hook
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Butchers Hook »

Soggypitch wrote:If he does well (and i suspect he will) hopefully he will then stsrt v Wales and I expect him to do a much better job v Adam Jones than Marler (who IMO is the main cause of England's poor scrummaging this 6N).
But Marler plays for Quins and there for must be excellent. :smt002
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

Think Croft will be fine playing, his return has been managed by Leicester since January. He wouldn’t be playing every week if he wasn’t able to. He has just as much chance getting injured as anybody else. This is a completely different situation to the YBY one post the RWC for example. It’s a compliment to Crofty that he has been recalled so quickly and I wish him all the best.

The Youngs/ Care decision is a tough one but as long as it is a temporary change then it’s fine. Don’t be surprised if Care benefits from a) playing vs Italy and b) playing with Flood. I’m sure there will be a media uproar for Care to start vs. Wales and YBY has been unfortunate to be playing with Farrell who does not read Ben’s sniping runs at all. YBY is slated for running sideways but when playing with Flood the number of tries scored by that method is huge. Care is one of SL’s favourites too. Would have liked to see Billy/ Manu get a chance in the centres, Wade on the wing and Brown at FB but Lancaster has got most things right so far and England can’t take too many chances.
Grinsteadtiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Grinsteadtiger »

Just watch replay of Eng v France and as posted on another thread did anyone else notice YBY carrying his right arm across his chest and shaking hands with his left hand as though maybe a shoulder injury or something else? Maybe this is being keep quiet and is why he is not starting? If anyone in the know is looking at the site maybe we could be enlightened please. Quoting sources of course (see I am getting to the swing of this at last)
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Grinsteadtiger wrote:Just watch replay of Eng v France and as posted on another thread did anyone else notice YBY carrying his right arm across his chest and shaking hands with his left hand as though maybe a shoulder injury or something else? Maybe this is being keep quiet and is why he is not starting? If anyone in the know is looking at the site maybe we could be enlightened please. Quoting sources of course (see I am getting to the swing of this at last)
Yes I recall seeing that too, maybe it is precautionary and protecting YBY which makes a change as they usually break our players.