Thank you Richard.....time to move on

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Re: Thank you Richard.....time to move on

Post by trendylfj »

I do NOT want to see RC leave before the end of the season but I DO want to see the powers that be have a good look at what is happening and if changes in coaching staff need to happen to move the club forward the so be it.

We missed the boat when Conor O'Shea left LI as he had developed them into a very exciting team and has done the same at Quins. Both clubs played/play a brand of rugby which is good to watch, keeping the ball alive and putting players into space. He should have replaced RC at that time. Whether MJ can do the same I am not sure but what I am sure of is that if we don't succeed in winning one of the competitions by the end of the season then RC needs to consider his position.

MJ would certainly not accept the job without being given total control and I hope would have a good look at the whole squad and take a broom to those who are not up to it. The difficulty is that he would have to work with what he is given to a large degree for one year as all/most of the available talent will already be signed for other clubs.
Hehehehehehehehe
JWM
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by JWM »

1. Squad 'deficiencies'. If nobody has noticed, Cockers is not the only cog in the wheel, he can't just hire and fire and write cheques at will, there are two people called dangling over him.

2. Cockers (and indeed MOC) were rehired just a few weeks ago when we, er, were already not exactly playing to our best potential. Don't bank on them going anywhere fast.
ST in new Clubhouse stand ... sadly, my back's no longer up to standing :-(
Tiger_Dad

Post by Tiger_Dad »

Good post RWA - I agree with all that you say apart from your last sentence as I think it's a bit early to make a call regarding Bowden. He's certainly talented but is he good enough to make a difference. I'm not sure

Regarding the tradition of Tigers 'Bullying' the opposition I think we've missed an enforcer(s) ever since Deac's had to leave the field against Leinster in the quarters at the Aviva. Murph is a great captain but we need someone whom others look to, when, like in the Sarries game, things get tough.

When Murph hangs up his boots at the end of the season I would make Julian Salvi skipper. It's just a shame he's not a bit 'nastier' otherwise he would make the perfect Tigers captain. Always in the thick of it, a great player and only seems to say something when things need saying...

Finally, we're looking a bit bereft of ideas in the final third against good sides. Whether it's a knock on or a forced pass, I can't help but feel there's certain inevitability about Tigers play at the moment. And I don't think it's simply the absence of certain players. If we're to start challenging the top clubs then something needs to change.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

JWM wrote:1. Squad 'deficiencies'. If nobody has noticed, Cockers is not the only cog in the wheel, he can't just hire and fire and write cheques at will, there are two people called dangling over him.

2. Cockers (and indeed MOC) were rehired just a few weeks ago when we, er, were already not exactly playing to our best potential. Don't bank on them going anywhere fast.
It was No2 that puzzled me when it happened. I'm not for letting RC go, but I'd put MOC on his bike and hire an international standard defence and backs coach. then IMO we could judge the mettle of this squad.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

We already know that the playing squad is going to change next year, too many changes could cause a severe effect and it might not be for the better. If you use the analagy of football it seems to show that those who respond with knee jerk short term reactions rarely prosper.Evolution is something that has happened at Tigers for decades and I feel confident that we are at the forefront of running a succesfull club,both on and off the field.
If you look at the wider game some clubs yo yo up and down,we are consistant and always in the mix for a shot at success.
I really don't think any club can win every year,whatever you throw at it.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

I really don't think any club can win every year,whatever you throw at it
100% agree and I'm sure almost everyone else would agree!
Over the years Tigers have always had battles with the fashionable club of the moment. Bath, Wasps, Saracens and Harlequins have had their moments against us but the one thing in common is all these tussles for meaningful silverware have been with the Tigers. Sale and Newcastle had their glory moment. Win, lose or draw I hope we can continue to be the club that everyone needs to beat come crunch time, this will mean we are somewhere near the top. I think many worry that we won't continue to be that club that the others must beat. They see chinks in the armour that are looking a little bit too weak. Sarries had to beat us for their title as did Quins but we will have to wait and see what this year brings. I believe our 1st XV is hungry but beyond that worries me. I would like to see the youth given more of a chance and try to develop this culture in the future and keep the hunger within the club as high as possible. There is no doubt that we have some important development and signings to make in the future to sustain our competitiveness and which road we go down will be very important.
Cheery chappy
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

I just want to see us raise our game and do well in Europe. I am not bothered about the league position but our Heineken record is fading fast and that for past players and for fans has usually been the most exciting part of beig a Tigers fan.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

11 years since an HC, 4 since the premiership.

Cockers inherited the remains of Pat Howard's squad, and the Tiger's performance has been in decline since that squad dispersed. With rare exceptions, our hiring, selection policy, coaching style and man management has contributed to a slow slide from the top of European, and now English rugby.

I would never say that we should win a major trophy every year, but just look at how long it is since we won one at all!

The Glory Days have gone.

Top 4? So what!
Valhalla I am coming!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

The one thing where Tigers track record is abysmal is in appointing Directors of Rugby.

Shame innit!

:smt016
Still keeping the faith!
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

How right you are.
A life long Tiger
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Bill W (2) wrote:The one thing where Tigers track record is abysmal is in appointing Directors of Rugby.

Shame innit!

:smt016
I don't understandthis Bill, with the exception of Loffreda, who for what ever reason the board decided didn't fit.Who else has been appointed by the board who has been abysmal? Bearing in mind since the premiership has existed we have always finished in the top six and have been in all the Heineken Cups since the English clubs joined it.We have been champions in the Premiership more than any other club, unprecedented run of continuous appearances in the playoffs. Apart from the Harlem Globe Trotters,who has a better record than Leicester Tigers?
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

Too easily pleased Mr Burnie. It is the lack of success when playing key matches, the lack of success in Europe, the lack of achieving a style of play that others want to emulate, the lack of plan B, the lack of heads up rugby, the obsession with grunt and with playing at the wrong end, the keen enthusiasm for air miles and the lack of signing a goat mascot.
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

Quite clearly we are in a bit of a trough at the moment. There's still a decent way left to go this season and the only way we can accurately make a judgement is in May. If we turn it around and win the double, however unlikely, then RC is a genius - patiently biding his time for the team to peak at the key occasion. If we end up with diddly squat... Well, as has been said, we need to take a long look at where the mistakes are being made. At the end of the day I don't think people were too disheartened at losing the Prem final last year because we played such fantastic rugby throughout the second half of the season - but if we're playing as averagely as we are, the judgement will be completely results-oriented.

I hope we can pick it up.

Review of Saturday's game here: www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Actually I though Meyer was unfit for purpose; his tactics were frankly :censored: woeful, even as a stopgap as he built the squad. Others have blamed the law tinkering, but if you look as his subsequent coaching in SA, that was where we were going - we were to become Saffacens essentially, but not necessarily with the wit and talent of Charlie to leaven the up-and-unders.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

The only DoR to depsrt smicsbly in the professional era was Pat Howard.

Dwyer, Richards, Wells, Lollfreda, Meyer were de facto fired.

As will Cockers be.

But the wisdom of the Board in appointing a successor is open to question.
Still keeping the faith!