Richard causes excitement in Tigerland!

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Richard causes excitement in Tigerland!

Post by CJ »

I do hope he is buried (again) in Leicester (again) and with some form of pomp and ceremony. The BBC piece says so 'state' funeral is likely but please let's have some ceremony which goes through the streets.
old one eye
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by old one eye »

The city of Leicester should build as much of a tourist industry around this as it is possible. This is the only reason York is at all interested.
I never once heard them shouting about king Richard III being "one of theirs" before his remains were discovered.

If he did go to York I suppose Cockers and Mat O'Connor would get the blame :smt003
byrontiger

Post by byrontiger »

Leicester should take this opportunity as quickly as possible.

The marvellous work that went into the finding of a King's body is, if spun up correctly, could be worth much more than attractions like the Mary Rose in Portsmouth.

It must be easier to find a ship! Look at how that grabbed the nation and HRH.

PS Tell York to 'get stu**ed'.
And their revenge is as the tiger's spring,
Deadly, and quick and crushing.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

I gather that the Richard III Society has already been in talks about a tomb at the Cathedral, funded by donations from around the world. I think a full ceremonial funeral would be right and properly respectful to an anointed King of England.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

There is a petition you can sign to keep his remains in Leicester

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/39708

York has a petition too but that has more signatures than Leicester so we need to get promoting!
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
byrontiger

Post by byrontiger »

The licence to exhume the body(s) was allowed on the grounds that they stated where the remains would go afterwards. That says Leicester Cathedral.

The Ministry or Justice also referred to the licence, adding the it was 'not our position' to make any retrospective changes.

Quotes from today's Times.

Should be safe in Leicester.
And their revenge is as the tiger's spring,
Deadly, and quick and crushing.
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

just caught up with the Reduced Shakespeare version of his life, on Radio 4, Today programme on Monday. it's at about 2 hours 52 if you are minded to listen on the i-player. Very clever and very funny.
Chunter
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Chunter »

But the MoJ issued a statement today saying the decision lay with the Leicester University archeologists who found Richard’s remains under a car park in the city.

It said: "When applying for an archaeological exhumation licence, the applicant must state that the remains will be laid to rest at a suitable location.

"The licence we issued states that the applicant (the University of Leicester) would, no later than August 31, 2014, deposit the remains at Jewry Wall Museum or have them interred at St Martin's Cathedral or in a burial ground in which interments may legally take place.

"The precise location of reburial is now for the University of Leicester."
(http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ri ... id-1592971)