Squad Changes 2013-2014 Season & Transfer Rumours Thread

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Squad Changes 2013-2014 Season & Transfer Rumours Thread

Post by kornboy130 »

Given the amount of traffic we get regarding any press to do with transfer rumours it might help to keep them consolidated in one place for easy viewing and also so it's easy to recall where certain posts are.

Credit to "johns" for posting this on another forum.

Credit also to "SK 88" who writes a fantastic blog which supplements Bud's podcast (http://thecrumbiepodcast.com/) nicely. The link is http://leicestertigersultrasubmarines.b ... ouple.html

Confirmed Departures

George Ford - to Bath
Wessel Jooste - to Castres
Alex Lewington - to London Irish
Jimmy Stevens - to London Irish
Jonny Harris - to London Irish
Kieran Brookes - to Newcastle
Andy Forsyth - to Sale
Martin Castrogiovanni - Toulon
Andy Symons - Tasman
Rob Andrew - Unknown
Micky Young - Bath
Geordan Murphy - to Coaching Staff.

Rumoured Renewals

Tom Croft - supposedly extending contract which still has a year to run.
Toby Flood - supposedly extending contract which still has a year to run.

Contracts Renewed

Graham Kitchener
Steve Mafi
Niall Morris
Julian Salvi
Ben Youngs
Tom Youngs
Geoff Parling
Matt Tait
George Chuter
Scott Hamilton

Previously Rumoured Targets

Adam Thompson - Back Row - Otago Highlanders. Been silent for a good while now.
Steffon Armitage - Openside Flanker - Toulon. Keen to gain a place in the England side for the home world cup, would need to return to England and would probably prefer a winning side looking for a 7. Mercury mentioned rumours.
Jonathan Poff - Openside Flanker - London Wasps.
Fabio Staibano - Tighthead Prop - Ex-Wasps. Currently unattached to the best of my knowledge. Mercury noted interest.
Joel Koffi - Openside Flanker - Carcassone - Midi Olympique (Rumour monger extraordinaires of the French press)
Luke Hume - Wing - USA Eagles and "Old Blue". USA International Hume has been linked with us in the Rugby Paper (credit to kpj tiger).
Wicus Blaauw - Loosehead Prop - Former Western Province/Stormers Loosehead currently at Biarritz - Rubished by Cockers.
Sebastien Taofifenua - Prop - Perpignan. France u20 player and substantial prospect - also absolutely massive.
Constantin Pristavita - Prop - Buceresti. Young Romania prospect seemingly regarded quite highly.
Craig Price - Back Row - Llanelli Scarlets. Playing for Wales 7s, big unit.
Matt Kvesic - Openside Flanker - Worcester Warriors. Believed to have signed for Gloucester.
Alex Gray - No.8 - London Irish - subsequently signed for England 7s.
Leigh Halfpenny - Fullback/Winger - Cardiff Blues. Mentioned as linked with many clubs. Rumours seemingly unfounded - under contract for further year.
Rob Miller - Full Back/Fly Half/Wing - Sale. Re-signed for Sale.
Stephen Myler - Fly Half - Northampton Saints. Re-signed at Saints. Lamb signed instead.
John Barclay - Openside Flanker - Glasgow Warriors - Signed for Llanelli.
Anthony Watson - Full Back/Winger - London Irish. Has signed for Bath.

Currently Rumoured Targets

Blake Scully - USA 7s - Winger/Fullback
Constantin Pristavita - Prop - Buceresti. Young Romania prospect seemingly regarded quite highly.

Signings Confirmed

Sebastien De Chaves - Second Row - Mont de Marsan.
David Mele - Scrum Half - Perpignan
Ryan Lamb - Fly-Half - Northampton Saints.
Owen Williams- Fly-Half - Llanelli Scarlets.
Jamie Gibson - Back Row - London Irish.
Neil Briggs - Hooker - London Welsh.
Jerome Schuster - Prop - Perpignan.
Gonzalo Camacho - Winger - Exeter Chiefs.
Tom Bristow - Prop - London Welsh

Anything you've heard post it here and I will update the initial post. As BJ always says a source is preferred, a link to a newspaper article etc or a mention if it's print i.e. The Rugby Paper (page number preferred). Or as simple as "a mate of mine who is in the know" will suffice.

Hope this helps clean up the forum and provides a useful tool.
Last edited by kornboy130 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:03 am, edited 32 times in total.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Re: Squad Changes 2013-2014 Season & Transfer Rumours Thread

Post by BJ. »

Nice one matey. :smt023
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

No problems.

If anyone knows for certain which players are out of contract at the end of the season that too can make it's own section up - but I'm yet to find anyone with that information for certain.

To kick off discussion - It seems fairly obvious from the players we've been linked with we're looking to strengthen the back row with the retirements of Newby and Woods.

I'd expect at least one of Noone, Jooste and B Deacon to up sticks and leave with Gibson and AN Other (Openside) coming in.

Also we appear to be looking at a Fullback/Winger player of quality to supplement the retirement and departure of Scott Hamilton and Geordan Murphy. Leigh Halfpenny would be the dream.
Last edited by kornboy130 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Good bit of work on your part Kornboy, thanks.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

Cheers Kornboy!

Barclay would be good, though I haven't heard that one before. I'd be happy with Poff, too.

Rugby Paper seems to have Myler's wages at around £140,000! I wonder what Mélé is worth; I'd rather spend money on a back-up 9/10 than spend all that cash on Myler...
Tiger Chris

Post by Tiger Chris »

I think I we got rob miller to replace murphy and used lewington abit more, the try he set up for notts on Sunday was very good play also signing miller would no need to bring a new ten as you would have miller Bowden and mele
Link to miller signing for sale http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_u ... 606655.stm

Back row If we could sign both poff and Gibson I think that would be brilliant, losing jooste who's not played shouldn't be a problem

This last one is not a rumour but I was thinking if sale went down what about henry thomas to replace Castro if sale go down, hes under contract but we could use the transfer fee

Also think another hooker would he good

However we kept parling salvi and mafi, how many of us thought that would happen
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I'd rather spend it on Halfpenny! And he can kick. We could also get Armitage cheaper if he needs to return.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I would rather we get players who are not going to be missing on 6 nations duty. If we need to import players for the short term then the Pacific Islands would be my preffered hunting ground. No 4 Nations Championship or 6 Nations call ups, may be the Autumn International call ups only would be ideal. Then we can bring on our accedemy players in the LV as we are doing now.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

jgriffin wrote:I'd rather spend it on Halfpenny! And he can kick. We could also get Armitage cheaper if he needs to return.
Though he may want to go to the world cup his discount won't be substantial - what it may come down to is the financial returns associated with being in the England squad players.

Halfpenny would be an incredible signing though markedly un-Tigers like in that he's a superstar of the world game already. Depends how we want to apportion Murphy's and Hamilton's wages... but I'd be very happy to go down this route.
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

First time I've heard the Halfpenny rumour and that would be amazing (if unlikely), he is genuinely world class and his kicks, one the WR pitch, could slot over from Tigers' 10m line!!

Poff (or another 7) and Gibson would be excellent, if B. Deacon and Noone are still here too, the back row options would be incredible. I imagine signing Barclay or Armitage would mean that having an extra 6/7/8 would be unlikely due to the cap.

Fabio Staibano has also been linked (in the Merc) as a prop replacement for Castro/ Brookes. IMO solid cover at TH, even if Boris stays, would be very useful. Myler IMO would do a job, even if Mele signs I'd like to see a reliable, Stauntonesque, goal-kicking 10 at the club. If Myler's wages are as high as 140K then I'd be surprised if Tigers sign him, it also explains why Saints have such a small squad!!

Another Hooker is only needed if Chuter retires, maybe Chutes would fancy a similar deal to Farmer White??
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

I would rather we get players who are not going to be missing on 6 nations duty. If we need to import players for the short term then the Pacific Islands would be my preffered hunting ground. No 4 Nations Championship or 6 Nations call ups, may be the Autumn International call ups only would be ideal. Then we can bring on our accedemy players in the LV as we are doing now.
Mathew Tait
Scott Hamilton
Andy Forsyth
Matt Cornwell
Niki Goneva
Dan Bowden
Sam Harrison
Boris Stankovich
Rob Hawkins
Logovi'i Mulipola
Rob Andrew
Tom Price
Tom Croft
Richard Thorpe
Brett Deacon

George Chuter
Jonny Harris
Fraser Balmain
Harry Wells
Michael Noone
Micky Young
Andy Symons
Adam Thompstone
The 23 man squad from the last LV match. Only two academy players included. The rest are first team squad. One starting and one on the bench. I am a little confused by the last sentence in your post in comparison to the team sheet. I am also interested to which pacific islanders you wish to see imported into the club to help win us matches as the best ones are already playing in the top leagues as far as I am aware.
Cheery chappy
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I'd like to see us promote internally this summer.

Chuter - promote Stevens to third choice hooker with young Thacker fourth choice, they've both seen England age grade action and both already played in the LV Cup. We'd still have Hawkins and T Youngs.

Hamilton - a wing/fullback we have a ready made replacement in Lewington who shone for Notts against Bedford last weekend.

Castro/Brookes - unfortunate Brookes is going, maybe have a word with him now Castro is on the go but a short term White style signing and let's bring on Balmain and Bower.

Ford - is off, stupid decision on his part unless Bath find a backrow and a classy 9 in the off season. Let's use Bowden and Cornwall there with Forsyth and Symons coming in more at 12 when we need them.

So I make it we need a short term TH signing, Stabiano will do. Mele and Chaves are all but officially confirmed.

Now the only players left to replace are Thorpe and Murphy and we should have plenty of budget to do so as well as retain the spare backrowers Brett and Noone.

That give us:

1. Ayerza, Mulipola, Stanko, Harris
2. T Youngs, Hawkins, Stevens, Thacker
3. Cole, Balmain, Bower, Stabiano and maybe Brookes
4. Deacon, Slater, Cain, Wells maybe Andrew
5. Parling, Kitchener, Chaves, Price
6. Croft, Mafi, Noone
7. Salvi, new signing(s)
8. Crane, Waldrom, Deacon
9. B Youngs, Mele, Harrison, Steele
10. Flood, Bowden, Cornwall
11. Goneva, Thompstone, Benjamin
12. Allen, Symons
13. Manu, Smith, Forsyth
14. Morris, Lewington
15. Tait, new signing

Good squad options already in place. Wage cap room for a brace of 7s and a 15. Maybe enough left over for a Mauger style midfield signing.

Preferably I'd like to see Miller or Catterick come in as both can play 10, wing and 15. Gibson and Armitage would leave us with strong options in the backrow. Though Poff could be a more realistic alternative to Steffon.

With the remaining cash could we convince Frans Steyn to join for a couple of years?
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Thanks for all the hard work KB. Makes interesting, if speculative reading! :smt023
Valhalla I am coming!
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

jgriffin wrote:I'd rather spend it on Halfpenny! And he can kick. We could also get Armitage cheaper if he needs to return.
And where would that leave Tait then? Finally getting back to some form and fitness and finds himself back playing for the A team?
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

The Boy Dave wrote: Mathew Tait.................1st XV
Scott Hamilton..............No longer a regular starter
Andy Forsyth................Accademy
Matt Cornwell...............Not in the 1st XV
Niki Goneva.................Back from injury,not current 1st XV
Dan Bowden..................Not in the 1st XV
Sam Harrison................Accedemy
Boris Stankovich............Not in the 1st XV
Rob Hawkins.................Not in the 1st XV
Logovi'i Mulipola...........Not in the 1st XV
Rob Andrew..................Not in the 1st XV
Tom Price...................Accademy
Tom Croft...................Back from injury
Richard Thorpe..............Not in the 1st XV
Brett Deacon................Not in the 1st XV

George Chuter...............Not in the matchday squad
Jonny Harris................Not in the matchday squad
Fraser Balmain..............Not in the matchday squad
Harry Wells.................Accademy
Michael Noone...............Not in the matchday squad
Micky Young.................Not in the matchday squad
Andy Symons.................Accademy
Adam Thompstone.............Not in the matchday squad
The 23 man squad from the last LV match. Only two academy players included. The rest are first team squad. One starting and one on the bench. I am a little confused by the last sentence in your post in comparison to the team sheet. I am also interested to which pacific islanders you wish to see imported into the club to help win us matches as the best ones are already playing in the top leagues as far as I am aware.
Seems you and I are not looking at the same song sheet,one of us can't count and we seem to see different matchday squads for the Premiership or Heineken.Those coming back from injury will probably be there abouts at the sharp end of the season,but the rest are "on the fringes" or recently in the Accademy.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.