Tigers vs. Scarlets

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Tigers vs. Scarlets

Post by PM76 »

IMO this game should basically be viewed as a warm-up for London Welsh as Tigers can’t really afford not to got 5 points given Quins (a) and Sarries (h) follow. If doing that means Tigers qualify then great, if we win and don’t qualify then it doesn’t really matter. I actually think Tigers could qualify given that Cardiff and Wuss will probably lose tomorrow looking at the sides they, and their opponents, have put out. Sale are away at Wasps next week but they will need to get 5 points for it to be completely out of hands, which is unlikely but if they are targeting this competition and Wasps put out a similar side to this weekend then Sale may well get 5 points.

If Tigers do qualify then RC can revert to the sort of side that played today in the semi, as he did last year. Therefore I’d like to see:

Stankovich, Hawkins, Mullipola
Andrew, L. Deacon (C)
Noone, Waldrom, Thorpe/ B. Deacon (presumably TTTE will be released by England)
Harrison, Bowden
Allen, Smith
Thompstone/ Goneva, Tait, Morris

Subs: Chuter, Ayerza, Balmain, Salvi, B. Deacon/ Thorpe, Young, Cornwell, Goneva/ Thompstone

Clearly Murphy should be involved somehow if fully fit, or as fit as he’s likely to get! Croft’s injury isn’t meant to be serious so could he be involved?? I know he is only meant to play every 2 weeks but he didn’t play for that long today. It might be harsh on players like Forsyth who impressed but being fully prepared for the Prem has to be a priority!! A slow 30/40 minutes vs. Welsh with combinations gelling could cost Tigers.

The target has to be to get ready for LW and the following games, 11 points should be the minimum target IMO, anything more would be a bonus! Hopefully Kitchener, Slater and Crane will come back unscathed too!
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs. Scarlets

Post by TigerCam »

PM76 wrote:IMO this game should basically be viewed as a warm-up for London Welsh as Tigers can’t really afford not to got 5 points given Quins (a) and Sarries (h) follow. If doing that means Tigers qualify then great, if we win and don’t qualify then it doesn’t really matter. I actually think Tigers could qualify given that Cardiff and Wuss will probably lose tomorrow looking at the sides they, and their opponents, have put out. Sale are away at Wasps next week but they will need to get 5 points for it to be completely out of hands, which is unlikely but if they are targeting this competition and Wasps put out a similar side to this weekend then Sale may well get 5 points.

If Tigers do qualify then RC can revert to the sort of side that played today in the semi, as he did last year. Therefore I’d like to see:

Stankovich, Hawkins, Mullipola
Andrew, L. Deacon (C)
Noone, Waldrom, Thorpe/ B. Deacon (presumably TTTE will be released by England)
Harrison, Bowden
Allen, Smith
Thompstone/ Goneva, Tait, Morris

Subs: Chuter, Ayerza, Balmain, Salvi, B. Deacon/ Thorpe, Young, Cornwell, Goneva/ Thompstone

Clearly Murphy should be involved somehow if fully fit, or as fit as he’s likely to get! Croft’s injury isn’t meant to be serious so could he be involved?? I know he is only meant to play every 2 weeks but he didn’t play for that long today. It might be harsh on players like Forsyth who impressed but being fully prepared for the Prem has to be a priority!! A slow 30/40 minutes vs. Welsh with combinations gelling could cost Tigers.

The target has to be to get ready for LW and the following games, 11 points should be the minimum target IMO, anything more would be a bonus! Hopefully Kitchener, Slater and Crane will come back unscathed too!
Having watched the Sale/Scarlets, IMO the Tigers side that played today will get 5 points. Sale ignored taking 5 kickable penalties today and had the Scarlets in all sorts of trouble up front despite being 14 points down due to poor defensive work.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

I'd say 5 point win, Scarlets are not the team they were. If a 2nd string Sale can beat them.........Oh dear! :smt018
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

WiggoTiger wrote:I'd say 5 point win, Scarlets are not the team they were. If a 2nd string Sale can beat them.........Oh dear! :smt018
They may be rather more obdurate at home.
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

drc_007 wrote:
WiggoTiger wrote:I'd say 5 point win, Scarlets are not the team they were. If a 2nd string Sale can beat them.........Oh dear! :smt018
They may be rather more obdurate at home.
Scarlets were struggling with injuries and call-ups as well apparently; over 20.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Scarlets are on a bad losing run just now,but this is an anglo-welsh fixture,doesn't matter what level it is,this will be a full on contest.Wonder if we select a strong team and go for it,or do we think about Oxford the week after and rest anyone?
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

tigerburnie wrote:Scarlets are on a bad losing run just now,but this is an anglo-welsh fixture,doesn't matter what level it is,this will be a full on contest.Wonder if we select a strong team and go for it,or do we think about Oxford the week after and rest anyone?
Second row is a bit of an issue - and I would expect Noone to play rather than Croft next weekend.

But bearing in mind that we will already know whether we can qualify for the semi finals before the game, then we could pick the team accordingly....

However, I would expect Cockers to go with something similar to this week's team tbh, and I don't think there's too much to debate even if we cannot qualify....
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Not only do we need to win, we need Sale to lose! I still blanch at saying "Come on Wasps!"
Valhalla I am coming!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Stanko, Hawkins, Balmain
Andrew, Wells
Noone, B Deacon, Thorpe
Harrison, Bowden
Cornwall, Forsyth
Goneva, Lewington, Hamilton

Harris, Stevens, Mulipola, L Deacon, Croft, Young, Symonds, Murphy.

We need to give some first teamers a run out ahead of the AP but I'd rather they got 20 to 30 mins just to stretch the legs. This is a development competition, we must continue to develop our options. Tigers superiority is built on strength in depth.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

I would go with a very strong side blending experience (Allen / Deacon) and upcoming players. If Tigers are unable to qualify change the team and make it a full development side.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Worth noting that Scarlets have no chance of qualifying too.
GT1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GT1 »

This game is on TV by the way on the Welsh channel S4C Sky ch134 & yes there is English commentary! I believe the lovely Sara Elgin is the presenter :smt023
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

The Scarlets will use this as a development competition I don't see why we need to risk two key players in Deacon and Allen who we will need for the AP games. We have Cornwall and Bowden to organise the backline with Hamilton and Goneva out wide we would not be lacking experience.

The likes of Balmain, Stevens, Harris, Wells, Noone, Forsyth, Symonds and Lewington need games like these to develop. They need that more than the first teamers need a walkover. It's their big chance to lay down a marker, we sent a weaker team to the Stoop last season.
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

sam16111986 wrote:The Scarlets will use this as a development competition I don't see why we need to risk two key players in Deacon and Allen who we will need for the AP games. We have Cornwall and Bowden to organise the backline with Hamilton and Goneva out wide we would not be lacking experience.

The likes of Balmain, Stevens, Harris, Wells, Noone, Forsyth, Symonds and Lewington need games like these to develop. They need that more than the first teamers need a walkover. It's their big chance to lay down a marker, we sent a weaker team to the Stoop last season.
As I said in the OP I think it is important for the majority of the team that plays vs. Welsh to play this weekend simply to ensure there are no slips up in that match. And by a slip-up I mean not getting a TBP win which given the games to follow is essential.

For example if Cockers picks Bowden at 10 vs. Welsh then to have a brand new 10/12/13 combination would be risky IMO, as would having a brand new back 3 combination in Goneva/ Morris/ Tait. I would pick a strong side even if Tigers have no chance of qualifying. The evidence this season suggests Tigers players have just as much chance getting injured at Oval Park as they do in matches!! If Tigers do qualify then the players that got Tigers through the group like Balmain, Noone etc. deserve to play in the semi, as they did last year.

Tigers did send a development side to Quins but the week after Cockers picked a very strong side to get ready for the Prem game the week after.

It will be interesting to see what sort of side Cockers picks. Or maybe Jumbo will make his prediction a little earlier this week!!
Mersey Tiger

Post by Mersey Tiger »

"But bearing in mind that we will already know whether we can qualify for the semi finals before the game, then we could pick the team accordingly...."

I have no doubt that Cockers will take the Wasps v Sale result into account.

I watched the Sale v Scarlets match on Sky and they said that Scarlets were without 26 players! Only 2 of these were "rested".
Yet they tore through the Sharks initially, even though Sharks had a comparatively strong team - it was said that they wanted/ needed a win to try and gain some momentum and also there is the chance of silverware. Given the weakened state of Scarlets and what they did to Sharks in open play - Scarlets were weak in the scrum - I fear for Sharks' Premiership survival.

Being objective - and living on the Wirral surrounded by my mates who all support Sale - I think that the Sharks are in serious, serious trouble. They only JUST got the TBP against Scarlets who gave away loads of penalties and had two players binned. Playing Wasps away - even a comparatively weakened Wasps - I would be surprised if Sharks won the match. I cannot conceive of Sharks getting a TBP at Wasps - not least because Wasps pride will come into play.

Therefore I expect that a TBP at Scarlets will put Tigers through to the last 4. I have no doubt that Tigers' pack will beast the Scarlets' pack, and get many penalties. It will come down to whether we can get 4 tries and control their (very good) backs.
Neil Back is the Greatest!